Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting: shooters or lookers?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Collecting: shooters or lookers?

Curious to know who shoots the airguns they collect?

Though my collection amounts to about 40-odd airguns, my primary interest is in shooting and I wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't shoot either because it was too valuable or because it didn't work and couldn't be repaired.

Because of this, I have made a conscious effort to not collect anything 'too nice' to shoot, so for example I would rather pick up a slightly ratty Senior, than a mint condition Highest Possible (serial No 0001) that I would be terrified to put a pellet through.

That said I don't put anything like the volume of pellets through my vintage guns as I do through the newer ones. But I still like to be able to shoot them.

So who shoots their collectable guns regularly, who just puts a handful of pellets though them once in a blue moon, and who never shoots them at all?
    Good deals with these members

Very good questions. I gather that there are those who collect only. I like to shoot mine albeit I have only recently rediscovered my interest in air rifles, probably for nostalgic reasons. I am therefore beginning to build a modest collection, which I do not want to become too large because it will not then be possible to shoot each item within the collection. The problem is that the collecting habit can become rather addictive and produce a momentum of its own.

I find shooting air rifles to be a summer hobby; I do not care for shooting indoors but winter is not much fun either.

I also find it interesting and stimulating to meet other enthusiasts and I have found that this site has done much to increase my enthusiasm whilst also considerably raising my knowledge. That said, I am a technophobe and would not usually consider dismantling a rifle. Happily, Protek is not too far away and they are competent airgunsmiths.

Personally, I would not purchase an air rifle if I did not intend to use it.

Collector first here, shooter second. The biggest kick for me is finding that time machine where the gun is the same as if I walked into a shop and bought it new. It gives me a chance to really see what it was like to shoot back in another time. So often we judge the performance and characteristics of a old gun with examples that are either worn or changed by reworking. Many times on forums I find that these guns perform better than people read in reviews and write ups? They all must work and I like to fire them but many don’t get fired much, I have favorites that seem to change with time. I like to display them as functional works of art. I also think the greatest opportunity for collecting is with fine examples. These are rare, the hunt is harder and I think the reward can be greater, in that many times people don’t want to pay the extra fine examples deserve and spending a little more gives you a far greater chance of future appreciation. And sometimes you don’t have to pay a little more. Don’t get me wrong a walk away from many auctions where prices get crazy, for me buying at the right price is equally important, part of the game.
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-02-2018 at 01:54 PM.

I collect and rarely shoot. Although my guns aint mint but are good condition. But i must admit one thing i do still have in my memory the smell of the gun oil when as a 14yr old my mum bought me a webley hawk mk2 with both barrels out of one of the catalouges that use to sell them back in the 70's. So understand why some are drawn to boxed unused examples. Weird that memory and smell still sticks with me 41yrs later

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I don't get the whole collecting thing - why bother ?

I mean - you collect, you collect more, you die, and they get sold to other collectors - what satisfaction do you get from having them stuck in a cupboard/cabinet etc.....?????

I understand if they are on display and you see them daily like a fish tank or a painting - but guns stuck in a drawer just do nothing for me? Is it just a form of hoarding?

Get them out and shoot them and I get it - stick them in a drawer and never touch them and you may as well be collecting stamps - which is another waste of someone's life!

PS - no offence intended to anyone, we all have our hobbies - and if it brings you pleasure while not causing a problem to anyone else then knock yourself out!

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Collecting: shooters or lookers?

i've got to be able to shoot them, got rid of a few near mint condition guns as I'd just mark them in use.

I tend to buy the worst broken guns i can find, its the tinkering and restoring them that floats my boat and once there done I love to shoot them. If i dont get on with them once restored then i sell them on and buy more broken junk!

It has got a bit silly recently the amount of projects sat here.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I take a mostly different selection to the boinger bash, normally tenish rifles and up to a dozen pistols.

Over the two days they all come out and if anyone there wants to have a play they're welcome.

That way over the space of a couple of years they mostly all get used, or at least fondled. Some legally cannot be shot being well over the 12ftlbs mark.

There's quite a few other collectors attend and much temporary gun swapping occurs.

When I'm no longer able to travel abroad, I intend to spend my summers taking them around country shows and the like for the public to have a look at.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Definitely shooter first, but with complete rose tinted nostalgic glasses on.
    I am trying to buy every gun I could never afford but lusted after through my teens.
    I was an out and out hunter, these rifles I now accrue will be used (albeit only occasionally) for this purpose. The strange/sad thing is I will not derive the same unparalleled pleasure from them now that I would then.
    I do take great pleasure though knowing that they will be safe till I depart.
    Then my boy will probably flog them to pay for a trip to Disneyland or Vegas.

Everything I own gets used, I even started a classic comp at my club to get the gun's out and shooting along with a few other members that have taken to using the old classics, There's something nice in getting a good score with an LP53 or Vintage BSA rifle, I Shot a lovely card last week with an old Hy-Score pistol, The pistol is boxed and mint but at the end of the day it was designed for shooting pellets not sitting in a cabinet.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I like to collect and have quite a few which i shoot in my little range in the garage,like to tinker also,cleaning oiling "etc",mainly i like to collect guns that i like the look of,some old collectables and a few modern replica types. like the crosman 357 but with the old type grips,the s&w 586,Daisy 44 [old grips again] Then the umarex 92f, 911 colt and more,which are just nice to hold and look at,then theres the strange ones such as the cometa indian,record jumbo, milbro couger black major,240 magnum,model 5, differet guns hold a different appeal that to me is what collecting is about

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I shoot all my modest collection of around twenty air rifles/pistols. I have no "cabinet queens" though all are in good order with a couple of real Beauts !
    Personally the real value of owning a nice "gun" is to use it, ok, be careful but use it for what it was intended for and get as much pleasure as you can, afterall, you're a long time dead !
    “An airgun or two”………

Collecting is a never ending hobby....

you aquire a gun-then you find out about how it was made,how it compares to others of the same era-even those by the same maker.Why it has a 'port' here or a screw there.Look at the patents,compare to similar ones.Read the manufacturing history and ups and downs experienced by the maker.Collect up the articles written by fellow collectors. All the time,aquire information. Half a dozen different guns can keep you going for ages.Personally,I've probably owned,played with,dismantled etc thousands of air guns. In hindsight,very seldom a dull moment!(I'd be dishonest if I didn't admit to wrecking a few pieces whilst discovering how they work!) I look around my toy room now.Very few guns are cocked or shot but I still love handling them.Yep,and 'knowing' them!

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    you aquire a gun-then you find out about how it was made,how it compares to others of the same era-even those by the same maker.Why it has a 'port' here or a screw there.Look at the patents,compare to similar ones.Read the manufacturing history and ups and downs experienced by the maker.Collect up the articles written by fellow collectors. All the time,aquire information. Half a dozen different guns can keep you going for ages.Personally,I've probably owned,played with,dismantled etc thousands of air guns. In hindsight,very seldom a dull moment!(I'd be dishonest if I didn't admit to wrecking a few pieces whilst discovering how they work!) I look around my toy room now.Very few guns are cocked or shot but I still love handling them.Yep,and 'knowing' them!
    Trevor is obviously a similar sort of collector to me, and I can emphasise with everything he says, but I have to admit that although I am interested in anything airgun related, when it comes to serious collecting I only have eyes for spring air pistols. In this respect I have become something of a “box ticker”. I had always been interested in air pistols, but could only start collecting in my forties due to the usual family and financial commitments. Eventually, having built up a sizeable collection, I decided to write the Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols, and after several years of research and liaising with many collectors worldwide it was eventually published. This listed all known and documented spring pistols at the time, and gave me a new collecting challenge - to try to get one example of every model of gun listed in the book, excepting one-offs. With limited cash and some wheeling and dealing I have managed to work my way through about 80% of the list, with about 320 items to house, and leaving currently about 40 on my near-impossible bucket list. I know I will never get all 40, and even if I did, more unknown models will only turn up, but it is fun trying. For me, variety is the spice of life. As far as shooting my guns goes, I do this mainly to evaluate their performance characteristics. I also like to continue with my research, I enjoy taking the guns apart, repairing and restoring if necessary, and I have even resorted to making my own copies in the case of certain completely unobtainable guns.. Where a box has to be ticked, a poor quality example is fine by me if I know another one may not turn up for years. Generally I am happy with a well used gun as long as it is honest. If the cosmetic condition of a must-have offends me, or if it is non-functioning then I will carry out sympathetic restoration. All a great way of spending one’s retirement.

Originality is important, condition then depends what you want but the better the condition the higher the premium it will demand. Condition holds value the higher it is. Then there is rarity.
    Some rifles do have an appeal if new. I tend to think that starts from about 1980, just because modern manufacture doesn't always stay looking good once roughed up. Patina or tatty???

Well I had 40 plus rifles, and another 40 to get them, but now I have about ten. I only need to shoot about five to quench my need for shooting, as so many I found too similar or just not up to my tac driving love.
    Other collectors have a completely different take. One of every kind and model. Only the most beautiful. Whatever floats your boat. Some twenty of the same rifle.

Best bit is whatever your angle, rarely do you lose anything. Maybe less of a return than money in the bank but at least not a loss. Most of the return is just the enjoyment each one gives. That will do me.