Thread: Collecting: shooters or lookers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Collecting: shooters or lookers?

Curious to know who shoots the airguns they collect?

Though my collection amounts to about 40-odd airguns, my primary interest is in shooting and I wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't shoot either because it was too valuable or because it didn't work and couldn't be repaired.

Because of this, I have made a conscious effort to not collect anything 'too nice' to shoot, so for example I would rather pick up a slightly ratty Senior, than a mint condition Highest Possible (serial No 0001) that I would be terrified to put a pellet through.

That said I don't put anything like the volume of pellets through my vintage guns as I do through the newer ones. But I still like to be able to shoot them.

So who shoots their collectable guns regularly, who just puts a handful of pellets though them once in a blue moon, and who never shoots them at all?
    Good deals with these members

Very good questions. I gather that there are those who collect only. I like to shoot mine albeit I have only recently rediscovered my interest in air rifles, probably for nostalgic reasons. I am therefore beginning to build a modest collection, which I do not want to become too large because it will not then be possible to shoot each item within the collection. The problem is that the collecting habit can become rather addictive and produce a momentum of its own.

I find shooting air rifles to be a summer hobby; I do not care for shooting indoors but winter is not much fun either.

I also find it interesting and stimulating to meet other enthusiasts and I have found that this site has done much to increase my enthusiasm whilst also considerably raising my knowledge. That said, I am a technophobe and would not usually consider dismantling a rifle. Happily, Protek is not too far away and they are competent airgunsmiths.

Personally, I would not purchase an air rifle if I did not intend to use it.

Collector first here, shooter second. The biggest kick for me is finding that time machine where the gun is the same as if I walked into a shop and bought it new. It gives me a chance to really see what it was like to shoot back in another time. So often we judge the performance and characteristics of a old gun with examples that are either worn or changed by reworking. Many times on forums I find that these guns perform better than people read in reviews and write ups? They all must work and I like to fire them but many don’t get fired much, I have favorites that seem to change with time. I like to display them as functional works of art. I also think the greatest opportunity for collecting is with fine examples. These are rare, the hunt is harder and I think the reward can be greater, in that many times people don’t want to pay the extra fine examples deserve and spending a little more gives you a far greater chance of future appreciation. And sometimes you don’t have to pay a little more. Don’t get me wrong a walk away from many auctions where prices get crazy, for me buying at the right price is equally important, part of the game.
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-02-2018 at 01:54 PM.

I collect and rarely shoot. Although my guns aint mint but are good condition. But i must admit one thing i do still have in my memory the smell of the gun oil when as a 14yr old my mum bought me a webley hawk mk2 with both barrels out of one of the catalouges that use to sell them back in the 70's. So understand why some are drawn to boxed unused examples. Weird that memory and smell still sticks with me 41yrs later

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I don't get the whole collecting thing - why bother ?

I mean - you collect, you collect more, you die, and they get sold to other collectors - what satisfaction do you get from having them stuck in a cupboard/cabinet etc.....?????

I understand if they are on display and you see them daily like a fish tank or a painting - but guns stuck in a drawer just do nothing for me? Is it just a form of hoarding?

Get them out and shoot them and I get it - stick them in a drawer and never touch them and you may as well be collecting stamps - which is another waste of someone's life!

PS - no offence intended to anyone, we all have our hobbies - and if it brings you pleasure while not causing a problem to anyone else then knock yourself out!

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Collecting: shooters or lookers?

i've got to be able to shoot them, got rid of a few near mint condition guns as I'd just mark them in use.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    I collect and rarely shoot. Although my guns aint mint but are good condition. But i must admit one thing i do still have in my memory the smell of the gun oil when as a 14yr old my mum bought me a webley hawk mk2 with both barrels out of one of the catalouges that use to sell them back in the 70's. So understand why some are drawn to boxed unused examples. Weird that memory and smell still sticks with me 41yrs later
    I know exactly what you mean with the smell thing. My first evening attending the Army Cadets, when I was 13 (1978), the SI got out the DP Lee Enfields to do a lesson, the smell of those rifles was unique. The next time I smelled that smell was when I bought a mucky old MkII Service from a little gunshop just outside Gosport in about 1995. As soon as it hit my nostrills, I was transported back to that cadet hut.
    The only other thing that gets me like that is the Queen song, "I Want To Break Free". As soon as I hear that I'm back in the NAAFI Bar in Herford, Germany, and I can almost taste the Younger's Bitter that was my preferred tipple at the time.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I know exactly what you mean with the smell thing. My first evening attending the Army Cadets, when I was 13 (1978), the SI got out the DP Lee Enfields to do a lesson, the smell of those rifles was unique. The next time I smelled that smell was when I bought a mucky old MkII Service from a little gunshop just outside Gosport in about 1995. As soon as it hit my nostrills, I was transported back to that cadet hut....
    Not exactly a vintage airgun, but there's something very very nice about whatever oil/lubricant they use in HW45 pistols.
    It always puts me in mind of serious-looking chaps in brown engineers coats.
    Good deals with these members