Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collecting: shooters or lookers?

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I shoot all my modest collection of around twenty air rifles/pistols. I have no "cabinet queens" though all are in good order with a couple of real Beauts !
    Personally the real value of owning a nice "gun" is to use it, ok, be careful but use it for what it was intended for and get as much pleasure as you can, afterall, you're a long time dead !
    Exactly right! They were meant to be used!

For a long time I wanted a Centenary Airsporter (not that I thought it was the best Airsporter mind - I believe none were better than a good Mk1) - never thought I would ever get one as mint boxed ones go for far more money than I would ever spend on an air rifle - plenty of them around but who would buy one, use it and half it's value?
    I eventually bought a 'shooter' locally off a collector who was selling off his collection, he also had a 'minter' and had sold a few others.
    The 'shooter' was in good nice condition and was a price I was happy with after some 'negotiation', I don't think I paid over the odds, I chose it over the 'minter' as I wanted to be able to shoot it.
    Unfortunately, I admit that personal circumstances and the lack of ranges around these parts has meant that I just haven't been able to shoot my rifles lately - hopefully, soon that will be rectified!
    For me, at the moment, the pleasure is in owning and being able to handle some nice old pieces of craftsmanship, some of my rifles are as old or are older than me. The smell of them, the feel of them and the pleasure of ownership is enough, but hopefully, they will be used as intended as circumstances permit!

Each to their own though, what's right for one isn't necessarily right for all!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

I have about 300 rifles and pistols and try to shoot them all! I will need a massive book if licensing comes in; or perhaps the Police will give the likes of me the choice of ten!!!!!!!!!! Like the Brock collector who had 24!!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    defo shooters.. I actaully prefer slightly rough or damaged stuff as I love the challenge of getting them working, shooting nicely, often better than they would have been originally, without fear of devaluing them
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Collecting is a very strange phenomenon. The urge to acquire. Do I need three Sterling HR81s? No (does anyone?). But do I want three HR81s? The answer is yes. Why, I'm not sure. I enjoy outdoors shoots, mostly in the summer. As an archaeologist I've my share of wet, rainy, muddy, snowy fields and ditches in winter.

Oh yes, one other thing, restoration of old abused guns. Began with air guns, but I now do antique firearms too. Currently dealing with a Nepalese Francotte Martini, and a sad Relum break barrel. All very satisfying.

They all must shoot and be shot.

Even my Sterling which I actually like in a weird way.

I have a few I shoot monthly. And I have several I dont shoot. But all are ready to go. That I do not shoot them is because of circumstances, not choice.
    ATB,
    yana

I've 4 rifles and a dozen webley pistols, all shoot able but some are just not pleasant to shoot.
    When I shoot I pick up a HW35/80 or my original webley premier E bought for Xmas back in 1974.....
    Both the most fun to shoot.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I'm slightly surprised, but glad to hear that most of you shoot your collection
    Good deals with these members

I only own one spring rifle for HFT and a PCP for for when its pouring with rain on a competition.
    I don't wan't to ruin my hold sensitivity for shooting the springer by owning and shooting various rifles so I'm keeping it at that (I'm considering maybe buying a FWB Sport 124 for classic HFT comps someday)

However I've got around 28 vintage air pistols and they all have to be shot.
    I use a FWB 90 for Pistol hft, a FWB 100 for 10 meter, and all the others get taken to the club in rotation for general plinking. The variety of design and mechanism of these mainly spring powered air pistols is for me a source of continuing enjoyment.
    I do get a bit nervous shooting with the Minters but I find the rule that they have to be shot helps keep the collection under control. Any reasonably common one's that I don't shoot regularly will get sold on.

I also find that shooting them encourages me to get them working to the best of their potential which can lead to some enjoyable research, servicing and restoration.

I feel that these things were made to be shot and that I'm doing them a service by keeping them 'alive.' but each to their own.

.....also pistols take up much less room.

Matt.

Collecting

I definitely have some models that rarely get used for one reason or another but one thing that is clear in my mind is that ultimately all have been used by me in the past and are likely to get used again.
    I guess it could be termed as owning practical classics...
    Dave

All mine are shot - some more regular than others.

I have 2 PCPs that are used regularly for comps plus a springer used infrequently for comps. I have another springer that is a project.

I then have a collection of 10 Air Arms PCP rifles & 1 Air Arms pistol. These are not shot very often but dry fired about once a month.

I love handling these and learning about the history. I'm also slowly learning about the inner workings.

It can be easy to desire every variation but I am trying to stick to an example of every mark of each model where the change in mark is not merely a change to the stock configuration, such as the EV2 Mk2, 3 & 4 - although this is difficult given that the range also offerd a choice of 3 colour schemes for the actions!

Next up for me is to start on the AA springers.

shooters or lookers

I've got 45 rifles and pistols, most are old and would be considered classic/collectable.(But not antiques) Only a few are mint boxed, most are in good to very good condition. But they all get shot. Some not that often, some regularly. I've bought a few non shooters in the past and bought them up to shooting condition. The exception being a Record Champion pistol which I just gave up on�� But it's shooters only for me.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    I collect and rarely shoot. Although my guns aint mint but are good condition. But i must admit one thing i do still have in my memory the smell of the gun oil when as a 14yr old my mum bought me a webley hawk mk2 with both barrels out of one of the catalouges that use to sell them back in the 70's. So understand why some are drawn to boxed unused examples. Weird that memory and smell still sticks with me 41yrs later
    I know exactly what you mean with the smell thing. My first evening attending the Army Cadets, when I was 13 (1978), the SI got out the DP Lee Enfields to do a lesson, the smell of those rifles was unique. The next time I smelled that smell was when I bought a mucky old MkII Service from a little gunshop just outside Gosport in about 1995. As soon as it hit my nostrills, I was transported back to that cadet hut.
    The only other thing that gets me like that is the Queen song, "I Want To Break Free". As soon as I hear that I'm back in the NAAFI Bar in Herford, Germany, and I can almost taste the Younger's Bitter that was my preferred tipple at the time.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I know exactly what you mean with the smell thing. My first evening attending the Army Cadets, when I was 13 (1978), the SI got out the DP Lee Enfields to do a lesson, the smell of those rifles was unique. The next time I smelled that smell was when I bought a mucky old MkII Service from a little gunshop just outside Gosport in about 1995. As soon as it hit my nostrills, I was transported back to that cadet hut....
    Not exactly a vintage airgun, but there's something very very nice about whatever oil/lubricant they use in HW45 pistols.
    It always puts me in mind of serious-looking chaps in brown engineers coats.
    Good deals with these members