Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Webley Service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky

New Webley Service

l am not sure if this as been mentioned before, just had a phone call from my son who is at the NEC show. he as been talking to the guys at the Sterling arms stand and they have told him they are going to make a version of the Webley Service, but it will be made from stainless steel and with a bigger cylinder to get the power up. has anybody heard about this?.

I was told to keep this under wraps until 1st April

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I was told to keep this under wraps until 1st April
    Strangely, the MK2 was still being made in South America during the 1970's so anything could be true, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Strangely, the MK2 was still being made in South America during the 1970's so anything could be true, Pete.
    Interesting. Please tell us more!

Kind regards,

John

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Grab from that video..

Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I would very much like to see that 'Sterling Mk.2 Service' in the flesh, or alternatively some close up photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Interesting. Please tell us more!

Kind regards,

John
    One was shown on the Vintage American Airgun forum about five years ago, John.

The gun was a near perfect copy of the MK2 service except it had a plastic stock.

I'll do a search later to see if I can find the thread.

Edit - found it :-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/40594...5/+View+Thread

And an advert :-

image.jpeg

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 17-02-2018 at 01:32 PM.

google saurio 100 air rifle - there is a lot of info on it.

http://www.airguns.com.ar/viewtopic.php?t=3266
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    One was shown on the Vintage American Airgun forum about five years ago, John.

The gun was a near perfect copy of the MK2 service except it had a plastic stock.

image.jpeg

All the best Mick
    Thank you Mick.

That's a new one on me. Doesn't look like it has a peep sight but then I can't see one on the 'new' Service either. I shall be at the show tomorrow and try to find out a little more about this project.

Edit: I can now see from other posts that a horrible plastic looking optic has been fitted, which goes against the principle of the original. Paul O'Donnell makes some incredibly good replica 3rd series peep sights and I'd rather see one of these on the rifle than some modern optic.

Kind regards,

John

[QUOTE=T 20;7439277]One was shown on the Vintage American Airgun forum about five years ago, John.

image.jpeg

That's a new one on me.another one to look out for. it just goes to show you learn something new every day. remembering it is my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    l am not sure if this as been mentioned before, just had a phone call from my son who is at the NEC show. he as been talking to the guys at the Sterling arms stand and they have told him they are going to make a version of the Webley Service, but it will be made from stainless steel and with a bigger cylinder to get the power up. has anybody heard about this?.
    There's a short glimps of it in this video :-

https://www.facebook.com/Sterling-Ar...50520465663432

Now that l have seen it. it will never beat the original one . and l forgot the say he told me the price would be around £900

Yes thats right...i was at show on Sunday and had quite a chat with Tony BELLAS . I asked what they were going to do about the well known poor power output of the originals and he said they were going to try and work the foot poundage up to around tenish. Personally i thought the stainless looked very Ruger ish and feel a high quality blue or black finish would be far better. These are only work in progress models so ill be watching to see what evolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarmboss View Post
    Yes thats right...i was at show on Sunday and had quite a chat with Tony BELLAS . I asked what they were going to do about the well known poor power output of the originals and he said they were going to try and work the foot poundage up to around tenish. Personally i thought the stainless looked very Ruger ish and feel a high quality blue or black finish would be far better. These are only work in progress models so ill be watching to see what evolves.
    Only tenish?1 In that case, I really cannot see how this project will work. Why will modern shooters buy a rifle that underperforms on power? The answer is that they will not, particularly given the price premium.

I would like to see the business plans behind this project. Clearly, that will not be possible, so I am scratching my head, trying to work out how this is going to generate money to cover the cost of capital.

I am cheering for Sterling but just cannot see how this is going to work from the financial perspective. I hope I am worrying unnecessarily!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Only tenish?1 In that case, I really cannot see how this project will work. Why will modern shooters buy a rifle that underperforms on power? The answer is that they will not, particularly given the price premium.

I would like to see the business plans behind this project. Clearly, that will not be possible, so I am scratching my head, trying to work out how this is going to generate money to cover the cost of capital.

I am cheering for Sterling but just cannot see how this is going to work from the financial perspective. I hope I am worrying unnecessarily!
    There were two MK2 prototypes shown of the 5 made, the highest output so far was just over 10fpe, but Sterling has a target of 11+ and the rifle is unlikely to be manufactured until that goal is met - as it at least needs to compete with its contemporary's on power. It also has another trick up its sleeve, but lets not talk about that here.

The intention is not to replicate a Webley Service MKII but to take the design on further, while not loosing its essence which is one of the most iconic and desirable airguns ever made. I have access to three originals and using these I felt that its also one of the most frustrating airguns with small design failings everywhere, the enhancement project was intended to dial those out. Someone made the point 'why would you want a replica when you can buy a original cheaper'. So the Sterling MK2 has to offer more, while retaining the desirability of the original. The Sterling MK2 is but one thread of the three airguns being initially offered, but do not think for one moment that that is the end of it, Sterling just needs to go step by step. and the mK2 is one of the first tentative steps.

Tony Belas (business development for Sterling)