Thread: New Webley Service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Andrew,

The Sterling stand at the show also had a full stocked PCP on display, where the walnut stock ended in a Schnabel tip and had s Stutzen look about it. With its Mannlicher profiled spoon shaped bolt, I felt this was one of the first PCPs that actually looked stylish. I should have photographed it but was concentrating on the Service. Nigel Allen filmed it whilst I was handling it for his You Tube Airgun TV channel if anyone is interested in this classically shaped PCP.

John
    Hi John!

If you could advise a contact email address for Sterling (I could not find one via the internet), I will forward to them the link here, so they can read the comments from various collectors and enthusiasts (I wonder if there is a discussion in place on the General Airgun forum, here, too). Were I the manufacturer, I would be keen to read the constructive comments. Alternatively, perhaps you could let them have the link, yourself, if you have not already done so.

Best
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Hi John!

If you could advise a contact email address for Sterling (I could not find one via the internet), I will forward to them the link here, so they can read the comments from various collectors and enthusiasts (I wonder if there is a discussion in place on the General Airgun forum, here, too). Were I the manufacturer, I would be keen to read the constructive comments. Alternatively, perhaps you could let them have the link, yourself, if you have not already done so.

Best
    A
    Hi Andrew,

I have only just seen your post - sorry for delayed response but pleased Sterling can access some of the very interesting comments this thread has generated.

John

It seems to me we have all come to a conclusion of sorts:

1 The price is very high; why buy a powerful springer at this price when you can buy two or three other makes for the amount suggested or a modern pcp, with enough change to purchase a springer too?
    2 The sights should encompass a choice between peep sights and open sights, similar to the original, preferably with improved open sights, which should be iron not plastic.
    3 A scope rail should be added as, otherwise, it will not appeal to anything other than collectors, of which there is probably a very small number at the price suggested.
    4 Some - but not all - collectors want a changeable barrel; this is something that some ordinary shooters might find attractive too but can the practical problems be overcome? Suggestions have been made as to how this might be done.
    5 Rather like motor cars, which copy the original designs (the BMW Mini, the VW Beatle, etc), a new Mk2 should seek to improve, measurably, on the old model. Otherwise, as many have suggested, collectors might as well buy the old model and be done with it!
    6 Will the new Mk2 appeal to modern shooters? Diana have successfully copied the WW2 Mauser but this is hardly comparable. The modern Diana Mauser is priced at about £300 and displays its own features.
    7 What is the market for the new rifle, embracing new shooters and collectors, within the context of the suggested price? Is it sufficiently large to make this proposal profitable?
    8 What else does the new Mk2 offer and what of the trigger, handling and balance? How will Sterling improve an antiquated design, which was quite peculiar even in the 1930s?
    9 Everyone applauds Sterling for its innovative approach and we all want it to succeed but has it identified a niche in the market place that will provide a worthwhile return on capital which, in turn, will lead to further innovative designs elsewhere? By the way, will the barrel be British or a German import?

I think this summarises the situation but apologies if I have missed something. Meanwhile, I agree with Garvin that the gas ram recoilless rifle sounds most interesting and I would like to know more.

I think this news has excited many; let's hope they get it right.
    Last edited by andrewM; 20-02-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Power isn't a problem abroad

There are big overseas markets.