Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Webley Service

I’ve sent an email with a link to here, to Sterling Armaments to make them aware of what might be useful feedback from this thread.

If you google Sterling Armaments, 5 or 6 down the list is their site, contact is a form from there (drop down menu, top right on home page) if you want to be more personal.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
    I’ve sent an email with a link to here, to Sterling Armaments to make them aware of what might be useful feedback from this thread.

If you google Sterling Armaments, 5 or 6 down the list is their site, contact is a form from there (drop down menu, top right on home page) if you want to be more personal.
    I think they may already be aware of this thread, Phil :-

Quote Originally Posted by woodmister View Post
    Hi guys!

Sterling are back!

There are a couple of new guns, no April fools jokes here!

These guns are all prototypes,

We are currently gathering public feedback on the rifles, any changes that need to be made will be made prior to going into production, which all being well with no modifications will be imminent!!

We have a mid priced electronic rifle
    survivalist take down rifle
    the mk2
    twin piston gas ram recoiless rifle

all rifles are designed, constructed and manufactured in Britain!

we think there are some great innovative products! I just hope you guys do too!!

all the best Adam

Tony Belas, who I gather is working for Stirling now, is also a member of the BBS.

don't worry guys its all getting fed back

kind regards
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

Nice one, cheers chaps.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    They weren't really a copy as such, but were loosely based on a 1960 design patented by Kurt Giss
    Thanks for that, but my comment was aimed at the poster suggesting a similarity in valuation between finely engineered original Whiscombe's, and a partial copy of the Mk.2 Service rifle.

Tony Belas, who I gather is working for Sterling now, is also a member of the BBS.[/QUOTE]

In that case we can expect a lot of 'limited editions'

I can't help thinking that a re engineered Webley Mk2 Service will have a very limited market

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B View Post

Nothing on google that I can see, was going to have a look at their site...do you have a link?

http://sterlingarmaments.com/

there you go buddy
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

Strange Feeling

Holding this rifle at the show, I also had a short chat to the man responsible for the revival and offered a free table at Kempton in March, so more sad people like me could get a feel of it.

I would buy a three barrel version even if the power was set to compensate for the .25, but only if had proper 'Paul O'Donnell'' type replacements sights and blued metalwork...

Well done Sterling team and hope you take up my offer

If they sold the rifle with just 2 barrels, say a set with .22 and .177, then another set with .25 and .22, it would get round the power issue by setting the power to the larger cal and allowing the smaller to be less.

They could then serial number each barrel to the gun. Anyone would then have to break 12 ft/lbs by changing to a bigger cal to get more power by changing the barrel.

If you’ve gone that far, then you deserve what’s coming, and it would be the equivalent of putting in an Ox spring in the old days. You’ll know what you’ve done wasn’t accidental.

I would buy one with .22/.177 combo set up like this. With open sights anyway.

Also Sterling would control the barrels availability by serial number, and therefore the power on rifles in circulation.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

I'm still not clear who would want one running at full power, without a scope - which would look a bit ridiculous, surely? To be used for what, hunting, FT?

For the same money, wouldn't almost everyone prefer an original 1930s Mk2 Service running at the sort of power they were designed to make, and with one of the beautiful peep sights that came with the original?

With a fixed barrel and no peep sight, it kind of kills the whole point of using the Webley as the source design, doesn't it?

Now the opposed gas ram recoilless rifle... that's genius.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Hi John!

If you could advise a contact email address for Sterling (I could not find one via the internet), I will forward to them the link here, so they can read the comments from various collectors and enthusiasts (I wonder if there is a discussion in place on the General Airgun forum, here, too). Were I the manufacturer, I would be keen to read the constructive comments. Alternatively, perhaps you could let them have the link, yourself, if you have not already done so.

Best
    A
    Hi Andrew,

I have only just seen your post - sorry for delayed response but pleased Sterling can access some of the very interesting comments this thread has generated.

John

It seems to me we have all come to a conclusion of sorts:

1 The price is very high; why buy a powerful springer at this price when you can buy two or three other makes for the amount suggested or a modern pcp, with enough change to purchase a springer too?
    2 The sights should encompass a choice between peep sights and open sights, similar to the original, preferably with improved open sights, which should be iron not plastic.
    3 A scope rail should be added as, otherwise, it will not appeal to anything other than collectors, of which there is probably a very small number at the price suggested.
    4 Some - but not all - collectors want a changeable barrel; this is something that some ordinary shooters might find attractive too but can the practical problems be overcome? Suggestions have been made as to how this might be done.
    5 Rather like motor cars, which copy the original designs (the BMW Mini, the VW Beatle, etc), a new Mk2 should seek to improve, measurably, on the old model. Otherwise, as many have suggested, collectors might as well buy the old model and be done with it!
    6 Will the new Mk2 appeal to modern shooters? Diana have successfully copied the WW2 Mauser but this is hardly comparable. The modern Diana Mauser is priced at about £300 and displays its own features.
    7 What is the market for the new rifle, embracing new shooters and collectors, within the context of the suggested price? Is it sufficiently large to make this proposal profitable?
    8 What else does the new Mk2 offer and what of the trigger, handling and balance? How will Sterling improve an antiquated design, which was quite peculiar even in the 1930s?
    9 Everyone applauds Sterling for its innovative approach and we all want it to succeed but has it identified a niche in the market place that will provide a worthwhile return on capital which, in turn, will lead to further innovative designs elsewhere? By the way, will the barrel be British or a German import?

I think this summarises the situation but apologies if I have missed something. Meanwhile, I agree with Garvin that the gas ram recoilless rifle sounds most interesting and I would like to know more.

I think this news has excited many; let's hope they get it right.
    Last edited by andrewM; 20-02-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Power isn't a problem abroad

There are big overseas markets.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I'm still not clear who would want one running at full power, without a scope - which would look a bit ridiculous, surely? To be used for what, hunting, FT?

For the same money, wouldn't almost everyone prefer an original 1930s Mk2 Service running at the sort of power they were designed to make, and with one of the beautiful peep sights that came with the original?

With a fixed barrel and no peep sight, it kind of kills the whole point of using the Webley as the source design, doesn't it?

Now the opposed gas ram recoilless rifle... that's genius.
    Hi Danny, l have to agree with your comments on the service. but l think they could be on a winner with the gas ram.