Thread: X4 and X6 Scopes

X4 and X6 Scopes

what does it mean by a 4X or 6X scope. 3 x 9 x 50 for example is that called a 3X scope

4 x magnification = target is 4 times closer 6 x magnification target s 6 times closer and 3 to 9 times magnification target is 3to9 times closer .
    Last edited by bighit; 17-02-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    4 x magnification 6 x magnification and 3 to 9 times magnification.
    nope !! they call a 3 x 18 a 6X scope and a 5 x 30 also a 6X scope...my guess is 18/3 and 30/5

and a 6 x 24 x 50 is 24/6 4X scope

to do with the primary optical lens magnification i suspect....

all conjecture is why am asking

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    are you talking about the zoom range ?

i.e. 3-9 is 3x, 2.5-10 is 4x ?

If so , then that's pretty clear..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by busanga View Post
    nope !! they call a 3 x 18 a 6X scope and a 5 x 30 also a 6X scope...my guess is 18/3 and 30/5

and a 6 x 24 x 50 is 24/6 4X scope

to do with the primary optical lens magnification i suspect....

all conjecture is why am asking
    a 3-9 x50 means it can be 3x magnification 4 x, 5x, 6x, 7x, 8x ,and 9 times magnification. the 50 is the exit lens size in mm

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    are you talking about the zoom range ?

i.e. 3-9 is 3x, 2.5-10 is 4x ?

If so , then that's pretty clear..

Ah yes i guess that is what they mean. zoom range

Do you mean this ?

An exit pupil is the small circle (column) of light that is visible in the ocular lens when you hold your scope (or binocular) at arm's length. The larger the exit pupil is, the brighter the image that will be entering your eye. To find the exit pupil for your scope, divide the objective lens diameter in millimeters by the magnification. For example, if your scope is four power (4X), and your objective lens is thirty-six millimeters in diameter (36mm), divide 4 into 36 and it equals 9. Nine would be the exit pupil size in diameter in millimeters.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Do you mean this ?

An exit pupil is the small circle (column) of light that is visible in the ocular lens when you hold your scope (or binocular) at arm's length. The larger the exit pupil is, the brighter the image that will be entering your eye. To find the exit pupil for your scope, divide the objective lens diameter in millimeters by the magnification. For example, if your scope is four power (4X), and your objective lens is thirty-six millimeters in diameter (36mm), divide 4 into 36 and it equals 9. Nine would be the exit pupil size in diameter in millimeters.
    no i was talking about this http://mtcoptics.com/viper-pro/ which is the zoom range i guess

scroll down to Viper pro features you will see it says X6 scopes talking about their 3x18 x 50 and their 5x30 x50

X4 and X6 Scopes

I'd ignore that it's probably just a mistake , don't think about it too much you'll only hurt your brain.

what does it mean by a 4X or 6X scope. 3 x 9 x 50 for example is that called a 3X scope
    Yes as in POST #4
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I'd ignore that it's probably just a mistake , don't think about it too much you'll only hurt your brain.
    no is not mistake have seen scopes described like this many times.

was always wondering why they described a variable mag scope as a 6x or 4x. but now is see they mean the zoom range

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    no is not mistake have seen scopes described like this many times.

was always wondering why they described a variable mag scope as a 6x or 4x. but now is see they mean the zoom range
    I think it's not a common way of describing them in the UK... maybe moreso in the USA.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The number is just an indication of the percieved ' magnification ' , more accurately known as scale, of the object compared to that seen through a human eye, approximately 42 degrees in diagonal, not both eyes BTW. This is also true for camera , video and so on. Recently with the arrival of the so called action cams another arbitrary and totally incorrect type of X is being quoted, ATN Shot Trak , is a good eaxmple , where the so called magnification is measured against that of the fish eye lens of a Go Pro video camera. For the sake of accuracy and sanity just think of 8X being twice as large as 4X as seen through the occular of the scope.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    The number is just an indication of the percieved ' magnification ' , more accurately known as scale, of the object compared to that seen through a human eye, approximately 42 degrees in diagonal, not both eyes BTW. This is also true for camera , video and so on. Recently with the arrival of the so called action cams another arbitrary and totally incorrect type of X is being quoted, ATN Shot Trak , is a good eaxmple , where the so called magnification is measured against that of the fish eye lens of a Go Pro video camera. For the sake of accuracy and sanity just think of 8X being twice as large as 4X as seen through the occular of the scope.

A.G
    read through thread is not what am talking about. but dont worry has been resolved