Thread: Load Testing | 22 Hornet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mick a View Post
    Hi Elliott it’s the occasional mooch about ,Fox ,rabbit ect .I really need to put more effort into it really .I am going to thin down my guns and pay a little more attention to the ones I keep
    Sounds a good approach. Don't sell the Hornet, though. You'll give it a new lease of life if you start to reload for it.

Reloading can be really time consuming. Unless you've got the spare time you end up with "half developed" loads if you have multiple rifles to load for.

Like kids in a toy shop - you just want to play with them all

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

The hornets a keeper .going to get a new stock for it and some nice glass
    Acta non Verba

The secret is to do one shot groups
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Once you got the receipies right for the hornet , they should shoot lazer like, i use Vhit 110/120 with sub 1" @ 100yds. 40/45gr s/p

Quote Originally Posted by joe public View Post
    Once you got the receipies right for the hornet , they should shoot lazer like, i use Vhit 110/120 with sub 1" @ 100yds. 40/45gr s/p
    Never used Vhit 110 or 120. What velocities are you getting? Whilst the velocities and accuracy at 100 yards seem great, I find the problem with Lil Gun is the extreme spread. I've seen upto 100fps, but with good accuracy on paper!

Ok so I bought myself a reloading kit ,only a cheack Lee breech lock but it’s a start next will be some dies ,so what to get
    Lee
    Rcbs
    Two die or three die ?
    Acta non Verba

Ok so I bought myself a reloading kit ,only a cheack Lee breech lock but it’s a start next will be some dies ,so what to get
    Lee
    Rcbs
    Two die or three die ?
    Anything will do the job. I've got an RCBS full length resizing die and bullet seating die. Does the job for me.

Reloading dies

Lee
    Rcbs
    Two die or three die ?
    Hi Mick,
    Whilst a three die set makes life a little easier it is VERY important to ensure that your reloaded rounds HEAD SPACE on the long sloping Hornet and NOT the rim! Cases like the Hornet will stretch very easily after firing resulting in case loss due to separation just above the rim. Just using the neck size die of a 3 die set will maintain a "tight fit" in the chamber and reduce somewhat excessive case stretching, but in a case like this it will stretch more than a straight wall steep angle neck case. If using a 2 die set; you can "back off" the F/L die from the shell holder just enough that when your reloaded round is chambered it encounters some resistance reducing its tendency to stretch. NOTE: Remember that the die manufacturer made his die so that when screwed down on the shell holder it would result in a case that would re-chamber in "every man and his dog's" rifle! This DOES not mean that this is the ideal setup for your rifle (but it might be), so, for your rifle adjust the die so that after the resizing of fired cases they just slip in your chamber and then lock the die! However, just remember that YOUR resized rounds may not fit in somebody else's chamber and you should not do this anyway. Your safe reloads may not be safe in another rifle. I bought my first chronograph in about 1969 (silver ink printed screens) and believe you me the chronograph is a very desirable piece of kit that will become nearly impossible to live without. Often when factory loads are fired across the chronograph you wonder why you are paying good money for ammo that does not anywhere near live up the the manufacturers hype although sometimes it does. The chronograph will allow you to optimise what you can get out of your rifle. Just because a reloading manual details a certain load; use it as a potential start remembering that it was worked up in HIS gun! Also, sometimes data may be published by a certain powder manufacturer and they often "tend" to "big note" their powder! What about the primer, bullet and case? Some cases are harder than others and tend to resist higher load pressures, primers may also affect the "burn" and the bullet? Ideally get a chronograph and learn to "read" case pressures (I posed a sticky "A Good Read for Reloaders" and I suggest you read it). Finally, watch case stretch and trim to length to avoid the possibility of "neck jam" in the chamber which will raise pressures. If you do not get 5 plus reloads out of your cases before primer pocket loosening then YOUR PRESSURES ARE TOO HIGH-reduce the load, change the powder, primer, bullet or case so that you do!

And most of all-HAVE FUN!
    pjinoz

Lee
    Rcbs
    Two die or three die ?
    I couldn't get on with my Lee set so I've got a Hornady 2 die set, which are very good quality, for std Hornet cases, while I use RCBS "K Hornet" once they're fire formed.