Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not a Giffard, suspiciously like a Greener though

Looks like he has turned down the barrel diameter near the breach to allow room for the CO2 cylinder to screw in.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 18-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Gas conversion

Correction that should read as Les Wesley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    So....we need to know calibre and if the barrel has been sleeved - over to you Clank
    Dear CLANK
    Is this yours by the way? Just intrigued to find out more, and 'see' some more pics on the internals. Either way, many thanks for posting - seriously lovely.

So, now that I have had time to think about this, a Martini action it is. Almost certainly 577/.450 cal as it is unlikely to have been .303. They were Lee Enfields in the main.
    I have taken some more pictures and first off, it is definitely .22 cal, the loading tap measures out at a little over as you can see in this picture below and the picture below that:

These next pictures, apart from showing the beautiful brown patina, also show how the action has been modified. It is clear, now that I have looked at pictures and diagrams of the Martini actions, that the CO2 cylinder attaches where the barrel would have been and the barrel and new breech block are on the top:

I have seen something like this and it was by Leslie Westley, it was a single barrel shotgun (I have a pic somewhere but it is from back in the day when we used Instamatic cameras and sent the films off at the Chemist!) I will dig it out and get the scanner out.

This is the barrel business end and it is a full tapered barrel, purpose built for the job:

Here is a view from the "underneath" with the for-end clipped off, nicely done and you can see how the barrel has been machined to accommodate the CO2 cylinder:

And yes, it is one of my collection. Only the weird and wonderful here
    Last edited by Clank; 20-02-2018 at 06:41 AM.
    An Emergency on your part doesn't necessarily mean an Emergency on my part!

Just wondering if this might not be an example of Martin Herrick's work. On here several years ago, 2014 and possibly later, posted as the 'Stockmaker' I think.
    Any one else remember him?
    This is exactly the sort of thing he makes. Usually a rimfire/centre fire converted to C02. The barrel repositioning and the Giffard mechanism, (he bought lots of Giffard bits at an antiques market, very cheaply, in Hungary. As you do!) have his name all over them.
    Will try to dig out some photos that he sent me of one he made if I can remember which computer and where I left them!
    A particularly well made pistol conversion also springs to mind with amazing finishes to the metal work.

There were several threads on the legality of what these would be classed as when he offered one for sale.

Or I could be wrong of course!!

Carl

Addendum - look at vintageairguns.co.uk under 'mystery rifle' that is one of his based on the Paul Betts pneumatic/ butt reservoir and also search for 'Bittner', the pistol I was going on about.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by le frelon View Post
    Just wondering if this might not be an example of Martin Herrick's work. On here several years ago, 2014 and possibly later, posted as the 'Stockmaker' I think.
    Any one else remember him?
    This is exactly the sort of thing he makes. Usually a rimfire/centre fire converted to C02. The barrel repositioning and the Giffard mechanism, (he bought lots of Giffard bits at an antiques market, very cheaply, in Hungary. As you do!) have his name all over them.
    Will try to dig out some photos that he sent me of one he made if I can remember which computer and where I left them!
    A particularly well made pistol conversion also springs to mind with amazing finishes to the metal work.

There were several threads on the legality of what these would be classed as when he offered one for sale.

Or I could be wrong of course!!

Carl
    Carl - I have to admit to being really intrigued as to what some of Mr Herrick's conversions look like. Did you manage to find any of the photos you were referring to?

I love the whole concept of conversion, and repurposing. That's why this beautiful rifle kindly shared by clank has got me thinking about how or where i would even begin to build something like this.

If you don't know Theo Hegman's work - a man whose rifles are all 'ONE-OFF' unique builds - then check out the link below. His are all quite extraordinary:
    http://www.hegmans.de/theo/luft.htm

He also very kindly includes expanded details on each of the examples here (the expanded links are usually 'blue text')....
    ....with outline design drawings to show you how they work. I really like his work which is mostly pcp, although he does include one called The CHIPMUNK which is one of the few 'springers' he has shown here. Two springs... innovative design... just gorgeous:
    http://www.hegmans.de/theo/munk.htm

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    I really like his work which is mostly pcp, although he does include one called The CHIPMUNK which is one of the few 'springers' he has shown here. Two springs... innovative design... just gorgeous:
    Whoops.... correction: NOT a springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Clank View Post
    So, now that I have had time to think about this, a Martini action it is. Almost certainly 577/.450 cal as it is unlikely to have been .303. They were Lee Enfields in the main.
    Minor point of gunspotter trivia.

There were a lot more Martini-Enfields than most people think. At least a couple of hundred thousand, probably more, mostly converted from M-Hs. They did unglamorous duty in non-infantry roles, reserve units, Cadet forces, etc. Some bits of the Indian armed forces were still issued them in WW2.

The Martini-Enfield (and its rarer first iteration, the Martini-Metford) is Britain's forgotten service rifle.

Of course, everyone wants the M-H, not the Enfield variant. No licence now required, and if you are like me you watched Zulu on TV every Boxing Day growing up. "Front rank, FIRE! ......"

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    Carl - I have to admit to being really intrigued as to what some of Mr Herrick's conversions look like. Did you manage to find any of the photos you were referring to?

I love the whole concept of conversion, and repurposing. That's why this beautiful rifle kindly shared by clank has got me thinking about how or where i would even begin to build something like this.

If you don't know Theo Hegman's work - a man whose rifles are all 'ONE-OFF' unique builds - then check out the link below. His are all quite extraordinary:
    http://www.hegmans.de/theo/luft.htm

He also very kindly includes expanded details on each of the examples here (the expanded links are usually 'blue text')....
    ....with outline design drawings to show you how they work. I really like his work which is mostly pcp, although he does include one called The CHIPMUNK which is one of the few 'springers' he has shown here. Two springs... innovative design... just gorgeous:
    That guy's stuff is great, isn't it? I even like the ones that I don't like, if that makes sense. Amazing some of the craftsmen working in this little world.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    That guy's stuff is great, isn't it? I even like the ones that I don't like, if that makes sense. Amazing some of the craftsmen working in this little world.
    This is amazing:
    http://www.hegmans.de/theo/flycatcher.htm

The design is just something else...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Martin Herrick is a very clever man as well as being a very nice chap. He found an original Giffard barrel for me, cleaned it up and sleeved it to .22 which i can now use in place of my Giffard's original 8mm barrel. Shooting with the .22 gives a consistent 10.5 ft/lbs with Gamo lead balls. He also modified a period aperture sight to fit on a modified stock bolt. There are some pictures of this under Giffard on the vintage airgun website. My lasting regret is that i did not buy some of his specials when they were offered to me at a very reasonable price years ago. He used to be on here as customstocker but i have now lost touch with him. Perhaps he could be pursuaded to knock out a batch of converted Martini Henrys. I'am sure there are a few of us on here who are drooling over this one.

Quote Originally Posted by j_potter View Post
    Martin Herrick is a very clever man as well as being a very nice chap....

... Perhaps he could be pursuaded to knock out a batch of converted Martini Henrys. I'am sure there are a few of us on here who are drooling over this one.
    Just in case there is ANY chance at all of this being a possibility, I would very much like to confirm my hand is seriously raised to register my sincerest interest. And more than willing to travel just about anywhere to discuss.

Fascinating ! Now I know where I would rather put my money if it was a choice between one of these and a reworked Webley Service Add my name to the list with chieffool

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Fascinating ! Now I know where I would rather put my money if it was a choice between one of these and a reworked Webley Service Add my name to the list with chieffool
    me three....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.