Thread: Omega spring guide

Omega spring guide

Need to make a tighter fitting spring guide for my omega.
    It’s got a steel tube as a spring guide currently, cross pinned into the block.
    Does the guide need to be steel? Or will plastic be ok? If plastic, should it be tight fit to block, or float a little on the cross pin like the steel one does?

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Plastic ones do break. I've had a Webley one break (and they're quite thick), and an HW80 one from a well regarded tuning source lasted about three weeks. I've always regarded that metal Webley spring guide as one of the best ones, which they should have continued with later guns like the Excel instead of plastic.

I've just made one for my Omega out of Acetal. Typical plastic spring guide design but I put a stepped diameter at the back of the guide which located inside the back block where the original guide went in, I made this bit a nice push fit.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I've just made one for my Omega out of Acetal. Typical plastic spring guide design but I put a stepped diameter at the back of the guide which located inside the back block where the original guide went in, I made this bit a nice push fit.

Cheers
    Greg
    Sounds good Greg. I picked up an Omega Carbine last year and I need to service it, I'll be looking to make another spring guide from Delrin.

Ok, snug fit plastic guide in the block it is then.
    The metal part is quite thick wall, so even if the plastic version is solid, it won’t be too heavy.

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Ok, snug fit plastic guide in the block it is then.
    The metal part is quite thick wall, so even if the plastic version is solid, it won’t be too heavy.

Thanks!
    I still put a flange on the spring guide for the base of the spring to sit on. You'll probably notice that on the back block the spring has created a sharp cusp in the metal..anyway dress this down so it's flat first.

If you like I can email you a copy of the drawing I made, just drop my a PM with your address on if you want it.

Cheers
    Greg

Ah, that’s an idea with the flange, the guide won’t need to be cross pinned in place, as the flange will hold it there. I will have a look how much pre-load I have, as I may need to shorten my spring slightly as it’s running mid 11s at the mo.

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.