Thread: Loosen Front AO

Loosen Front AO

How would I safely loosen / free up the front AO of my scope? Don't want to start spraying 3 in 1 or WD40 if it'll get into the lens.
    Good Deals with: Gazza, Fred, muts65, Brian747, wombat100, Tweaky (BSAOG), the wizard, delboy, craigy, skygrowler, JTH71, pgm112, Doger21, shootingmad, PHOBUS, bhill22, pmcb, pablo19, BobSki, Petay, Double Tap, Geoff555, Wild dogman, Multijet, BANANAMAN, RapidNick

This is just reporting what I have read, although I have done it once.
    In principle:
    If there is a lock ring on the outside of the lens, loosen it then turn the lens carrier. May need one of those rubber strap jobs ... a boar??
    If no lock ring, look around the inside edge of the lens where there is a thread. You may see two small notches opposite each other where the lens begins. If you can turn these, they undo a lock ring to move the lens. I have heard that a piece of a steel rule is wide enough to do the job. Just take care not to scratch the lens.

I hope others can provide more detailed advice.

Cheers, Phil

I don't think he wants to parallax a fixed front lens Phil. I'm sure he means that rotating the front objective is tight on an AO scope.

My Tasco 3-9x50 is mega tight as is my centre point scope. they do oosen off but if left for a while they tighten up again .it's the grease thy use i think.

Some fit a sea fishing rod coaster to the objective and that gives you a bit more leverage. https://www.pauls-angling-supplies.c...ck-p-1298.html

most fit them on the magnification adjuster but i have seen some that fit the pn the AO too . this one is fitted on the mag adjuster
    Last edited by bighit; 18-02-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I don't think he wants to parallax a fixed front lens Phil. I'm sure he means that rotating the front objective is tight on an AO scope.

My Tasco 3-9x50 is mega tight as is my centre point scope. they do oosen off but if left for a while they tighten up again .it's the grease thy use i think.

Some fit a sea fishing rod coaster to the objective and that gives you a bit more leverage. https://www.pauls-angling-supplies.c...ck-p-1298.html

most fit them on the magnification adjuster but i have seen some that fit the pn the AO too . this one is fitted on the mag adjuster
    Whoops ... very senior moment, apologies. Clearly reading what I expected to see not what was there ....
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks both. Yes it was the adjustable objective ring that is too tight. I have bought a night vision add on and want to be able to easily focus it. Side focus might be the only realistic way.
    Good Deals with: Gazza, Fred, muts65, Brian747, wombat100, Tweaky (BSAOG), the wizard, delboy, craigy, skygrowler, JTH71, pgm112, Doger21, shootingmad, PHOBUS, bhill22, pmcb, pablo19, BobSki, Petay, Double Tap, Geoff555, Wild dogman, Multijet, BANANAMAN, RapidNick

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Simon View Post
    Thanks both. Yes it was the adjustable objective ring that is too tight. I have bought a night vision add on and want to be able to easily focus it. Side focus might be the only realistic way.
    I had the same issue with my scope and NV . side focus is the way to go as its easier to changed and not as tight as the AO ones. AO ones may loosen when its warmer weather as the grease will soften . I had my Tasco scope out today and turned the AO a few times and it loosened off but when it cooled down again it was tight .

How would I safely loosen / free up the front AO of my scope? Don't want to start spraying 3 in 1 or WD40 if it'll get into the lens.
    This is mainly due to the sticky optical grease they use to dampen/tighten up tolerances of the machining of the these cheap scope. You will find that in the warmer months it actually performs much smoother but at the moment due to very cold weather the grease acts to make the movement much harder. I would leave it alone or use a ' breakaway coaster ' as in the photo.

A.G

With AO it's hard to reach forward when the add-on is keeping your head back, it's also harder to support the rifle, with a sidewheel you can still support with the left hand as you adjust the focus, plus as you adjustthe AO your hand/arm can obstruct the IR so you can't see the target anyway.

It is more awkward adjusting "focus" with front AO for night vision, even without a tight adjuster. However, if you are shooting at fairly consistent distances you may find you don't need to adjust it much at all once set up. If you get a good image with the sticky scope it may be worth putting up with the inconvenience. Your scope might have good depth of field if you are lucky.

You will find that with NV it won't focus down as close as in daylight. For example if you can focus down to 5 yards in the day time it may not focus down below 8 or 10 yards with the NV add-on. The distance markers on the front AO will also be less "accurate" - I think it works like this - to focus at 20 yards with NV the AO might need to be wound down to 10 or 15 yards.