Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HW98, or HW77 laminate?

98 for me because it's a break barrel. I struggle like hell loading the pellets on an under lever even with my delicate little fingers

Own both and you won't go wrong with either mate .The 98 is the easiest to handle due to being a break barrel but accuracy wise I can't split em enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    The Weihrauch site is showing the Special Edition 77 in a "brown camo laminated stock" which is the new ambi version. I personally prefer the original lamo stock which I think was named "Autumn" and was a available for a very short time.
    However, as a southpaw the newer ambi stock would be welcome !
    Bottom one !

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Bottom one !

Urgh! IMO that’s hideous, not a fan of laminate stocks.

Full length 77.. laminate stock.. everyday. I find the 98 rather unattractive. & I think a bit pointless. Its like a hunting rifle trying to be a target rifle, as apposed to being a hunting rifle with an adjustable stock. Your better off with a furkanboing or what ever there called if you want a breaker. The 77 is just superb for most things.. I took mine ratting the other day.. was a bit heavy & long buy just so much fun.

The full length is so much nicer to shoot & looks better imho.
    Last edited by rhyslightnin; 20-02-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Cheers
    TBH i dont think id be dissapointed with either.
    I will keep an eye on used ones of both for a while.
    Thanks for all feedback

I just hope whatever i get matches my 177 HW95 which is frankly an amazing rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by CuppaT View Post
    Cheers
    TBH i dont think id be dissapointed with either.
    I will keep an eye on used ones of both for a while.
    Thanks for all feedback

I just hope whatever i get matches my 177 HW95 which is frankly an amazing rifle.
    I think your right there... Take some time, try them out.. good plan
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Urgh! IMO that’s hideous, not a fan of laminate stocks.
    funny thing is I got it as part of a deal and I already had a 77 scope to match never really wanted it but everyone keeps trying to buy it off me so that makes me more likely to keep it TBH it looks better than the picture !

Your 95 will be nothing like a 98. Two very different guns with two very different purposes. The stock on the 98 is head and shoulders above other HW stocks due to its adjustability and it is a pretty decent one at that. The 77 laminate is a bit of a bling . Both the 98 and 77 need tweaking to get the best out of them, the 77 needs more tweaking. The 98 is laser accurate once mastered and because of its heavy shrouded barrel is much more suited to target/FT/HFT shooting since the heavy barrel will counteract the muzzle flip due to the misalignment of the barrel to the shoulder particularly in HFT as extra high mounting scopes are of little use.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I think your right there... Take some time, try them out.. good plan
    No no no, don't do that - rush out and buy the full length 77 in the posh laminate stock asap. I guarantee you'll love it

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    No no no, don't do that - rush out and buy the full length 77 in the posh laminate stock asap. I guarantee you'll love it
    https://media1.tenor.com/images/b936...itemid=3316509

Had a few 77/ 97's and with the laminate stocks.and I currently own a very nice early mk3 77k in a tyrolean airmasters stock. But I'd go for a 98, bloody excellent rifle and definitely as accurate as a 77 nicely front weighted so no flip, easy to load even in the freezing cold and exactly as easy to tune if you want it. Plus you can adjust the stock to fit a treat. And the limited edition laminate is coming out real soon so you'll have a pretty stock too.

I ummed and ahhed about 98 or 77 for ages. Eventually went full length laminate 77 for the fixed barrel and option of opens or scoped. Personaly find theres plenty of room in the loading port but I have medium sized hands and a compact scope is well clear. It's so accurate that for backgarden 25 - 30m shooting scoped can get a bit monotonous and the opens gives that extra bit of challenge. Think the laminate looks absolutely gorgeous. It put some pcp's to shame at the weekend at an informal get together over 25 - 50m. 4 out of 5 chalk lego men at 45m compared a best of 3 by the pcp's (HW100, bowkett tuned R10 mk2 and an ultra) was a particular highlight 😁

http://imgur.com/a/jArrAlO
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Ps - forgot to mention, it did twang like twangy thing straight out the box. Top hat and ptfe piston sleeve sorted that although the extra pre-load did make it a little too hot with some pellets given I'd also resized the piston seal so it wasnt quite so tight. Half a coil less put it right. And an extra set-back trigger suits me more than the standard factory shape.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Wow this is a old thread, but strange how things go, because the HW98 is now available with a laminate stock, very expensive, but very nice.
    As for the debate the HW77/97/98 are all fine rifles, it's all down to how you feel handling them. Just completed a test on the HW98, which although is similar to a HW95, the handling is worlds apart.