Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Goldstar, underlever still accurate

BSA Goldstar, underlever still accurate

Hi all, I have just pulled out my old BSA Goldstar and put a few magazines worth of pellets through it and I was to my delight I pleasantly surprised how accurate it still was, its hardly as sweet as my others the HW77 or the S410, but I considering the battering this old gun has had it now deserves the planned work to try and take it back to its former glory by giving the barrel and stock a freshen up. I have just bought a replacement spring, seal and the indexing part for the mag from John Knibbs so will be looking at getting this gun back up to full power again aswell.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    A great one time Flagship springer from BSA, I wish you well !

Is it .177 or .22 ?
    “An airgun or two”………

They are lovely rifles. I have both the .177cal and .22cal. Although not as refined as a hw77 i still love them for their individuality

Hi, its the .22,

yes its is not as refined, as you know still nice to shoot.

I might see about a replacement stock if mine wont tidy up, is has a few blemishes on it and in a poor state really.

Have you tried the newer self indexing BSA mags?
    They worked well in mine.

The original mags were fiddly, are the new ones any better to load ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Yes, I have also got one of those, I probably should file out or drill the area the indexing pin hits off. as you say yes the old ones were a bit of a pest at times, I will probably keep using the newer one, its just nice to have the old mag back to working state again, and actually its working pretty good now, nice and solid clicks to the next pellet,

The new mags are easier to load I would say, not by much.

I've got one in .22 and really like it. Not one i'm willing to sell anytime soon.
    I've got a Diana 300R that I think will be better, but don't have the magazine holder so never actually fired it

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    The original mags were fiddly, are the new ones any better to load ?
    Once you have taken out the small area the index pin touches ( As Chris mentions ) the new magazine fits and indexes itself, and makes for a much better shooting experience.

I think the new ones are a bit easier to load.

I had the indexing lever taken out of my S10 so it can also use the new mag.
    Dont know if this can be done on the Goldstar or is even necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I've got one in .22 and really like it. Not one i'm willing to sell anytime soon.
    I've got a Diana 300R that I think will be better, but don't have the magazine holder so never actually fired it
    I have had a diana 300r and i think the goldstar is far better. 300r is way to front heavy and the set up of mag.mag holder and the brittle pin means they are a pain un the ass to use. Id rather either of my goldstars to the 300r any day. Plus parts are now almost impossible to find. I was lucky with the one i use to have as it came with 2 mag holders and 2-3 mags. Although the pin was shot in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    I have had a diana 300r and i think the goldstar is far better. 300r is way to front heavy and the set up of mag.mag holder and the brittle pin means they are a pain un the ass to use. Id rather either of my goldstars to the 300r any day. Plus parts are now almost impossible to find. I was lucky with the one i use to have as it came with 2 mag holders and 2-3 mags. Although the pin was shot in mine.
    Thats a shame, i was looking forward to it
    I don't think mine has ever been used. The stock, bluing and pin are basically perfect. Better than some new guns I've seen in shops.

I had two .22 Goldies at different times. Both were in excellent nick the last one boxed but the one thing I found when operating them is to cock the cocking lever in in smooth steady motion and not a swift "jerky movement". This mitigates any problems with pellet fouling in the Mag/Breech area.
    I also did this with Theoben SLR I had at the time.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I had two .22 Goldies at different times. Both were in excellent nick the last one boxed but the one thing I found when operating them is to cock the cocking lever in in smooth steady motion and not a swift "jerky movement". This mitigates any problems with pellet fouling in the Mag/Breech area.
    I also did this with Theoben SLR I had at the time.
    I agree, this is also how I do it and tell anyone else who might have a shot of it how to cock the gun, it also lets you feel if there are any issues when he underleaver is returned as I have a few marks on the back of my mag where it has fouled in the past.

Stock refinishing

I have spent a few days over the weekend removing the varnish and stain from the stock of the Goldstar, tonight I gave it a lick of walnut stain from the Birchwood Casey kit I bought and I am quite happy with how things went, the look is quite nice although it is very different form the original finish,

I have been rubbing the metalwork removing all the pitting before the blueing starts.

Not Goldstar stocks but I've "had a go" at a few BSA beech stocks from time to time and its very hard to achieve that even tone finish over the entire stock. The end grain at the fore end, pistol grip and rear comb tends to soak up the stain and present a darker tone, almost black than the rest of the stock.
    This is if you're trying to imitate the factory finish that is ?
    Its not too bad if you want a pale coloured stock and you apply something like Tru Oil or similar and not a dark stain though.
    I never really cracked it though and its a while since I did them but I did think about applying a couple of coats of woodsealer to the endgrain only before the stain in an attempt to "seal" it ?
    “An airgun or two”………