Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Umarex RP5 pre-review

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I think its the 'orrible thin plastic butt stock that offends my peepers
    It looks like theres an end cap at the rear - a nice, well made straight pull stock to go on there would have looked much better and could be up-sold as a quality accessory instead of something that looks like it's been left a bit close to the fire

Maybe this will end up being a new 2240?
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Nah, that would be a pain swapping to the pump-grip for every shot...

But if the foregrip was part of the pump-grip!
    Yes...and yes!

Umarex seem to have put a lot of thought into this.
    There are a few features I've certainly not seen on CO2 airgun before. I can see plenty of influences from some popular PCP's in here too.
    Hopefully, the suggested price tag indicates a high level of build quality.
    A thorough review should reveal this.
    This may well see the 2240/2250 platform getting a bloody nose.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Umarex seem to have put a lot of thought into this.
    There are a few features I've certainly not seen on CO2 airgun before. I can see plenty of influences from some popular PCP's in here too.
    Hopefully, the suggested price tag indicates a high level of build quality.
    A thorough review should reveal this.
    This may well see the 2240/2250 platform getting a bloody nose.
    Indeed, Rob.

The RP5 is using dual 12g, I assume on the basis of releasing the CO2 into a pressure resistant chamber from where it is drawn rather than butting up to a seal. From my own use of an Airmagnum (with 12g adaptor), Crosman 600, GP45 and Crosman Mk1, this method of drawing the CO2 seems to give much more consistent FPS shot to shot than the direct CO2 cap to valve method. I don't understand the physics, but the consistency of all these guns from shot to shot is markedly superior to anything I have shot with the other arrangement.

Adding in the innovative slide cocking arrangement (ideal for the carbine version), shroud and 5 shot capacity and personally I think Umarex have a good one on their hands here. I'm curious about what length of barrel the carbine will have- from the limited photos I have seen, I'd estimate somewhere between 12 and 16" and this will obviously affect the FPS, using 2250 barrel lengths effect on the same as a yardstick. My Airmagnum in .22 would push 11.5fpe using 2x12g, but had a 22" barrel. 2250 barrel lengths experimentation suggest 18" is optimal...but of course, we will be dealing with a different valve in the RP5.

Bottom line is, I'm inclined to a carbine version of this

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Indeed, Rob.

The RP5 is using dual 12g, I assume on the basis of releasing the CO2 into a pressure resistant chamber from where it is drawn rather than butting up to a seal. From my own use of an Airmagnum (with 12g adaptor), Crosman 600, GP45 and Crosman Mk1, this method of drawing the CO2 seems to give much more consistent FPS shot to shot than the direct CO2 cap to valve method. I don't understand the physics, but the consistency of all these guns from shot to shot is markedly superior to anything I have shot with the other arrangement.

Adding in the innovative slide cocking arrangement (ideal for the carbine version), shroud and 5 shot capacity and personally I think Umarex have a good one on their hands here. I'm curious about what length of barrel the carbine will have- from the limited photos I have seen, I'd estimate somewhere between 12 and 16" and this will obviously affect the FPS, using 2250 barrel lengths effect on the same as a yardstick. My Airmagnum in .22 would push 11.5fpe using 2x12g, but had a 22" barrel. 2250 barrel lengths experimentation suggest 18" is optimal...but of course, we will be dealing with a different valve in the RP5.

Bottom line is, I'm inclined to a carbine version of this
    Yep the valving and power delivery I reckon will make or break it's use as a carbine. No reason a shorter barrel then the 850 can't make sub12 power. The xs501 makes power easily. That runs a shorter barrel.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Cool post Paddy
    Ghastly in my eyes...but if they do come in at that price point/power level, then I suspect sales of the equally horrific HW44 will get a bloody nose.
    The rifle version looks like it smacked on every branch of the ugly tree when it fell off
    But I would agree its really nice to see something that is not a replica brought to market, even if it's not to my taste - so well done Umarex
    Maybe.

But a damn sight better looking than the HW44.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Looks nice to me, thanks for the update Pad E

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Looks nice to me, thanks for the update Pad E
    You're welcome Phil, thanks
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Rp5

Thanks for the review quite Like it myself and like the idea of being able to customise it but as always with new air guns there is never enough info
    price is sketchy seem to be gauging interest before pricing what package will it come with ? does the pistol turn into the rifle with shoulder stock ?
    I have heard that barrel's are interchangeable between 1.77 & .22 also that its German made. Release dates vary from April to December why can't manufacturers sort them selves out with new product releases.

Phil
    I've strove all my life not to be a millionaire and been very successfull

Now in your dealers for around £250 for the pistol and more for the carbine.

I have shot the pistol in .177 and it shoots better than it looks!
    Definitely a hard hitter.

The drop fill mag is easy to use and the pump action is smooth.
    Again the pistol handles better than you think as its not as heavy as it looks.

Nicer to hold than the HW 44 which has a grip that digs in a bit after a while.

I suspect the price will go up if it catches on.
    I think it will.

The Carbine looks good and does 10 ft lbs but no open sights.
    It cannot be used as a pistol.

Good and unusual effort from Umarex.

I prefer the 2240 and it's a heck of a lot cheaper!

Me and a mate have got a carbine each on order

My pistol is on the way.
    Somebody had to buy me a fun Christmas present!

Excellent news

I have one from Rothery's to review and used it the other day, Well I know that I had fun with it!!
    BE-HAPPY-OK

I like my RP5.
    Good to have a proper co2 pistol instead of a replica.

Im not sure why/how the designers at Umarex came up with it but it works well and is fun to use.

Maybe not quite as good as the HW44 but compare prices plus the fact that you dont need an air tank.

With the carbine model too I think this will do well for Umarex.