I have a technical question for the technicians and experts, here.

I have noticed, after firing my tap-loaders (BSA Standard/Webley Mk3) that there is usually a tiny amount of 'give' in the loading tap. Thus, before firing, the loading tap must be returned downwards to its firing position. However, after firing, there is a tiny amount of movement that becomes possible, as the loading tap can then be pressed downwards again, but by only a tiny fraction of a measurement. It seems that the exercise of firing slightly lifts - by a tiny amount - the loading tap.

This, I suppose, could occur if the receiving barrel entry point is slightly larger than the loading tap - ie the entrance to the barrel is slightly tapered inwards from the entry point (where it is fractionally wider). Otherwise, the barrel entry point would have to be exactly equal in size to the loading tap and positioned precisely as the slightest variance would clip the pellet.

Assuming I am correct in my observations, I presume that the loading tap would then move very slightly as it re-centred itself to the most aerodynamic position, to allow the air - and pellet - to pass most efficiently through the barrel (rather like a weather vein seeks the path of least resistance).

I am most happy with the accuracy output, especially from my 1920s BSA, which suggests nothing untoward is occurring. Still, I am curious about the observation above.

Perhaps anyone with any technical knowledge could add to my theory or disprove it!