Thread: A new acquisition. Can anyone identify this little pistol?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

A new acquisition. Can anyone identify this little pistol?

I took delivery of this little push-barrel pistol from Germany today and was very happy to get it as filled a gap in my collection. (Yes, I know it is only a pop-out gat, but I am funny that way ).

It is rare and unmarked, so I was wondering if anyone recognises it for what it is? Fortunately I did, which I why I bought it.

Is it a Haenel?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I took delivery of this little push-barrel pistol from Germany today and was very happy to get it as filled a gap in my collection. (Yes, I know it is only a pop-out gat, but I am funny that way ).

It is rare and unmarked, so I was wondering if anyone recognises it for what it is? Fortunately I did, which I why I bought it.
    I suggest you consult the Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols - it's a mine of information and the pistol is bound to be in there.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post

It's a Schmidt HS, nice little pop-out.

No prizes for guessing where I looked it up Lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of 'the bible'

Cheers John.

Matt.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi it's a Dolla Mk 11 they come in crome finish as well

Looks like Dolla Mark 2 by shape and type of sights but according to Blue Book they didn't have a spring shroud. Dolla pistol could be marked "Keenfire" or "JGA", and the associated JGA pistols had a spring shroud.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I had one for years sold now but never did find out what it was .

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Congrats Matt, spot on , it is a Herbert Schmidt HS pistol, dating from about 1950 up to the late 1950’s.

It is an interesting pistol as it demonstrates how air gun manufacture changed from the 1950’s onwards as companies struggled to keep down costs by using more plastic in their construction. This, the first version of a push-barrel pistol made by the Schmidt company, is made of strong sheet steel with hard wood checkered stock, and even now my example still works very smoothly delivering a pretty consistent 200 fps with cup slugs. I doubt the HS was imported into the UK as you never seem to see them for sale over here. By 1957 the design was changed to largely plastic, to give the HS9 shown below. This was made into the early 1970’s and is also rare. Then it evolved into the HS9A, which was available up to the 1990’s, and was exported into the UK. So examples of the HS9A are relatively easy to find these days, but its very light plasticky character is not very endearing. The cheapened construction did not affect performance though, and my little used example gives virtually the same muzzle velocities as the original HS.

A similar decline was seen with the pre-war Anschutz push-barrel pistol, the JGA (also known as the Dolla Mk 2, the Keenfire, and the LOC), which had a wooden stock and sturdy metalwork nicely nickelled. After the war (1950’s -60’s) it evolved into the mainly plastic JGA 100 pistol, as shown below, although it did retain a bit more metalwork than the HS9A and had a separate steel trigger guard. They are much rarer in the UK than the HS9A.

Nice little representative collection Steveb1961. Shame you broke it up, but I can understand that push-barrels are not everyone’s cup of tea.

All I am missing now is the HS9. Anyone know of the whereabouts of one of these?