Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swift Stumpy, is it the best ?

Swift Stumpy, is it the best ?

Need a short mod, is the Swift Stumpy about the best ? I'm aware a short mod won't be as effective as say a HW mod, but I need/want it short but reasonably effective.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

For what gun ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    If you're looking at a half inch female thread Dave, try a SAK at half the price, great VFM moddy.
    “An airgun or two”………

A-Tec Wave is another.

Swift Stumpy - if you must have a shorter mod then it will dull the crack to a blast. But they are not the ideal hunting mod. The internals are quite solid and un-absorbing and the holes through the baffles is rather too large. They are made quite well but just not the quietest, so the point i would not use one for hunting, though to make a rifle more 'sociable' they just about tick a box.

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    For what gun ?
    It's for a S510 Carbine, it has a shroud that offers little in the way of sound suppression, but works a bit. But the gun is pretty lengthy with a normal mod fitted, so it's a trade off between sound moderation and length.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    A-Tec Wave is another.
    Never heard of them, any info ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    If you're looking at a half inch female thread Dave, try a SAK at half the price, great VFM moddy.
    sounds promising John, never used one, I take it there pretty good ? How long are they ?

Why not get someone to make a shroud /silencer
    I had one made for my ultra by Carl at airtech , so quiet probably on par with HW mod if not a bit quieter

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    Why not get someone to make a shroud /silencer
    I had one made for my ultra by Carl at airtech , so quiet probably on par with HW mod if not a bit quieter
    That's a possible solution. I'm at my RFD on Saturday, I will take my S510 and try a few off the shelf short mods first, but a good idea though Roughly, how much are we talking for a shroud/mod ? Ball Park figure ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Eh ?? They are the same price. The Stumpy in my view is the best short mod out there , I have a few and use them on springers and PCP,s

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    It's for a S510 Carbine, it has a shroud that offers little in the way of sound suppression, but works a bit. But the gun is pretty lengthy with a normal mod fitted, so it's a trade off between sound moderation and length.
    Got a QTEC on my S510 Carbine. I have yet to find a better moderator anywhere. I also like the balance it gives the rifle.

The short Huggett was best for me for a shrouded rifle, better than the HW, UKNeil, SAK, and a couple of hand made ones I have as well. It will leave you annoyed at the sound of the hammer spring....
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by CuppaT View Post
    Got a QTEC on my S510 Carbine. I have yet to find a better moderator anywhere. I also like the balance it gives the rifle.
    Big difference in price qtec's are around the £80 mark and yes very quiet as i have one on my fac wolverine but i am a tart and it looks nice. Saks are rimfire mods and give a sharp tinny sound on a pcp. They are also quite thick and heavy and the back end reflects lamp light quite effectively back into night vision/scopes. The stumpy's are about the best short mods available at only a few quid more than a sak and quieter. The new versions are even better as they can be extended by adding baffles or taking them away. If you go down the route of a stumpy mod make sure it is an un-proofed one as they are slightly more expensive than the proofed ones.

Here's a recent post I did on another forum about this very subject.

I wanted to replace the Daystate Airsteam Reflex MK6 on my Wolverine so I went and tried a few at Wirral Guns yesterday as they'd just had a new batch of the Belit Mini's in. Below are the ones I tried and my marks out of 10 for them.

HUGGETT BELITA 1/2" UNF SILENCER - Length: 120mm - £75.00 - 6 out of 10

HUGGETT BELITA MINI 1/2" UNF SILENCER – Length 90mm - £55.00 - 4 out of 10

SWIFT STUMPY SILENCER - Length 138mm - £45.00 - 8.5 out of 10

A&M TITCH SILENCER - Length 115mm - £39.00 - 8.5 out of 10

I ended up buying the Swift Stumpy.

I'd gone pre-determined to buy the Belita Mini but I just couldn't believe how poor it was which was also a big surprise to the guy behind the counter and another customer in the shop as he said they sold out as soon as they came in to stock but that I'd been the only person to actually call in and test it against the others.