Thread: Anyone tried RWS Hypermax & H&N Hornet?

Anyone tried RWS Hypermax & H&N Hornet?

I fancied experimenting with something different so I picked these up, neither very cheap but looked interesting.

I've not shot the hornet's yet, that brass tip is very sharp so I'm interested to see what penetration is like.

The Hypermax I'm disappointed with, my Pro Sport shoots 15.9gr AA Hunter at 560fps and the 9.9gr Hypermax around 600fps. I was thinking they would be faster than that, they're very hard and have a loose fit in the breach, could that be the problem? would it help if I push the pellet further in somehow?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    the hypermax's clearly don;t suit your barrel - I'd not waste any more time on them in that gun. You lost a huge chunk of power. Bet the gun shoots horribly with them too. Finally, and most importantly, if they don't fit the bore, I'll put money on them being rather innacurate too...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I've never tried the Hypermax pellets but, I did give the Hornets a try a while back - I couldn't get them to be very accurate in anything.
    If I remember correctly, the best result was in a .177 Cricket but, they still weren't very useable.

If you fancy testing a few of the different pellets, I can recommend H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme and Predator Polymag Shorts (.177) - I've found them both to do quite well from a few different rifles up to 40yrds.

All of the above.

Agreed the Hypermax are a waste of time in my PS, I'll try them in my other guns and donate them if anyone one wants to try them.

Not had chance to test the accuracy yet but heres some figures if anyones interested.

AA Field

RWS Hypermax

H&N Hornet

Penetration tested on a catalogue.

AA - stopped at page 201
    Hypermax - stopped at page 312
    Hornet - Through page 427 and ripped the back cover. Also noticed the damage it did on the way through was far greater than the others, very impressive!

Impressive damage