Thread: Let’s go back to 1949, Crosman Town & Country Senior compared to the BSA Airsporter

Let’s go back to 1949, Crosman Town & Country Senior compared to the BSA Airsporter

Post War in 1948-9 both BSA and Crosman both brought out totally new rifles, the first major innovation from both companies in quite a while. The BSA Airsporter was a major success, lasting decades, the Crosman T&C Senior a marketing disaster lasting only one year.

Each reflected the totally different direction air rifles took in each country, spring power vs pump pneumatic.
    The T&C was priced at $24.95. I have read that if the Airsporter were to have been imported into the US it’s price would have to have been about $50. It never came, because American markets would not even pay $24.95 for a air rifle, the T&C Junior at $14.95 would continue and morph into future models.

But this 1949:

(Designed in 1948, the Airsporter here is a MK2 but it very similar to the original)

First the T&C Senior is very impressive it’s brass metal work is well machined and has an excellent black finish. Everything is brass, the receiver massive. All the metalwork gives the feeling of very well made gun, over built, you think you are holding a firearm. Stock is massive as well, like a M-1 Garand, but though nice is not finished nearly as nicely as the Airsporter. (Stained maple vs Airsporter’s walnut) My Airsporter has the nicest finish I have ever seen on a rifle.

The Chrony Testing String (Crosman 6 pumps)

Senior BSA
    588. 562
    583. 562
    579. 569
    578. 561
    582. 560

Power of Crosman with 5 pumps 552

Power of the BSA seems to be between the 5 and 6 pumps of the Crosman.

The open sights of the BSA were pretty kind to old eyes especially with the post cover. The Crosman peep has a bit of an advantage thought the aperture is painfully small. The BSA jumps and needs a artillary grip. The Crosman no movement but the disadvantage of a heavier trigger. Here are my groups from 25 feet in my backyard. It was finally 70 degrees today!

Bottom line not surprisingly the BSA is just a beautiful rifle, probably the nicest gun I own. The Crosman is a joy as well, a very well made reflection of a point in time. The BSA is timeless. Proved nothing but that shooting vintage air rifles is a fun way to spend the afternoon on the first nice day in months! And these two rifles will stay in my collection.

Airsporter and Crosman 108

My 108 is pretty deadly on paper.It's not overly powerful with 4 to 5 strokes but just sits on the hand as the trigger is squeezed.Same trigger needs a bit of love and care but comes right.
    Afraiad I was never as neat as Steve with my Airsporter.Having said that.The 108 is a bit to heavy.the Airsporter has a balance to die for.Up to shoulder and you are looking down the sights.Looking back at my BSA pages I see I was more impressed with the MkII Airsporter........just personal.;-)