Thread: Hawke scopes, current year versus previous years.

Question Hawke scopes, current year versus previous years.

I recently bought one of those Sidewinder 10 x 42’s which were on offer and it’s fair to say that I am pretty impressed with it by and large. The only negative is that it’s just a tad short of mag for what I need, not by much though.

I have been looking at maybe investing in the next mag up which would be the 6.5 - 20 x 42. The trouble is that I am seeing various incarnations from various sellers and at various prices. It seems that when this scope came out it was supplied in some sort of flight case, with one piece screw in lens caps, and the old Hawke logo. Then it came in a cardboard box with flip ups and still the old logo and now, finally, the current version with code number 17110 as seen on Hawkes website.

Would anyone happen to know if there has been any mechanical or optical changes along the way with this scope please. I am not a “latest model” type snob so I would be more than okay to have an older style model providing that the optics and mechanics are as good in previous versions as they are in current.

One last thing. I have a Vantage non illuminated side focus 44mm which goes to 24 however, beyond say 18 the image becomes what i would call a bit milky and less focused, beyond 22’ish it’s poor, but below 18 it’s all fine and dandy. Is this what is referred to as “whiteout”? and is it to be expected with scopes of the Vantage price point or is it to be expected with all, including the Sidewinder.

Thank You.

OK well firstly the 10x42 is the Sidewinder Tac 30 IR range which is a slightly different model to the standard Sidewinder.

The next mag up in the Tac 30 range is actually the 4.5-14x42 which has the same excellent 10x half mil-dot reticle, whereas if you step up to the 6.5-20x42 it only comes with the 20x half mil-dot, which I find far to busy in comparison to the 10x.
    Another option would be the Sidewinder 4-16x50 which again has the 10x half mil-dot.

I've had both the 4.5-14x42 and the 4-16x50, I've still got the 4-16 but sold the 4.5-14.

Yes, they have changed over the years both part number, glass & ret;

Sidewinder early- HK4002/4/6/8/10/12/HK4016, ret - mil-dot/SR6/SR12 - flight case.
    Sidewinder mid - HK4002/5/6/9/10/13/14/17, ret - 10x half mil/SR pro/20x half mil - flight case.
    Sidewinder now - 17110 - 17420 see their web site for details - Box.
    Sidewinder Tac 30 - HK4022/26/30/34 ret - 10x half mil/20x half mil - flight case.

The HK40** have better glass to my eye than the current model (and my NV add on works better on the old ones) and the 10x half mil is far & away the best ret.
    On the current Hawke range the better quality glass uses the 10x half mil ret. (compared to the simple half mil/mil dot).

The HK40** 50mm needs an adaptor ring to fit the new style flip up's, but the flip up's are a huge improvement over the screw in cover.

Whiteout is literally where the glare overwhelms the glass & the picture goes white, like being blinded by a car headlight at night,
    No you shouldn't get it with better glass, I've got an Airmax 30 SF 6-24x50 & that copes with 24x mag.
    Last edited by angrybear; 21-02-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Forget all the 10X1/2 mildot stuff. Find a Sidewinder with the SR Pro reticule and you wouldn't want to go back to the 10X1/2 mildot again.

A.G

It's the HK4030 8.5-25 that's caught my eye so to speak although it's fairly local I have not as yet seen it, the shop is a good hour away. They have also the current 6.5-20 and 8.5-25 and all three are at seemingly good prices, especially the HK one. It's the glass quality that I need to consider though rather than the latest logo or packaging and that's been answered.

Can I ask, what is the lack of love towards the screw in/out dust caps rather than the flips as I have heard this before? I know they are a bit sqeaky when removing them and then if you are on the move they need storing somehow but the flip ups are a bit of a faf to fit and you cannot readily adjust eye relief, mine seems to change weekly!, without upsetting the position.

The problem with the screw caps is the ultra fine thread, very easy to cross thread & impractical to pop on/off in the field if it starts to rain, & as they wear it gets worse.

I never use a cover on the ocular, partly because I use NV add-on's but mainly because I both store the rifles in the cabinet & carry (if slung) barrel up, so it's the objective that needs the cover.

It's not for me to tell you what to buy because I don't know your shooting situation but there are a lot of very nice scopes if you're looking around the £250-£400 price range,
    I've tried the Vantage SF IR (14290/1/2), Airmax 30 SF range, Nikko Stirling Diamond LR range and all have superb glass & good ret's, So the one thing I would say is that spending a few £ on fuel to visit some shops & try a few is a good investment.

Yes! perhaps I should have mentioned the intended use

25 yard indoor benchrest and this coming summer outdoor, albeit sheltered, 25/50/75 yard benchrest and prone from a bipod. It will never see a hunting scenario as I have other scopes and rifle for that.