Thread: Back in the day

Back in the day

I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a crafty owd sod, a farmer near me had the best bit o ground around, my mates had tried to get on but..... his answers was always the same .. if ya can knock that Sparra off that barn roof from here I'll let you on,it was 90yard at least .so I shot one Tide fishing line to it and chucked it on the roof. Me owd mucker was waitin in the barn and when the slug it the tin he pulled it off..Bloody hell ! he told everyone about this amazing kid with a owd air rifle.That owd cock sparrow got me some land to shoot over I can tell you,all the local farmers let us on after that, that was 1969 .. In them days I used to sell my Jay feathers to blokes who tied fishing flies, what with that and my pigeons and rabbits I saved up a few years and got myself a Bsa Mercury . Saved again for years and got myself a FWB Sport 177. ( still in the same nick as the day I bought it )I can remember 10 and 20 rabbits coming off at times. No bloody great scopes just a 4x32 .. £1000 for a pcp setup either lads nowadays are rich buggers or the worlds gone nuts . me owd FWB and a few slugs in me pocket and that's me supper. Or I'll swap me a couple of Coneys for a couple o pints.... and I always drop a rabbit off on the door step of Mr Davies... the local copper ...just in case I get lost one night and wander .! well I did say I was a crafty owd sod .. if you would like some more owd sod story's .. let me know ... you never know you might learn a thing or two!

Haha! Excellent.

Many parallels here, including the rifles - my third rifle as a teenager was a Mercury and my fourth a FWB127.

From one of my shoots a few years later, a horse paddock permission where the bunnies weren't one bit gun shy, I used to attain some huge bags. So when we had bunny meat aplenty and the freezer was full I used to sell the excess ones for a quid apiece.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Back in the day

I actually saw my older brother do this for real, with 2 out of 3 sparrows sitting on the edge of a quarry cliff around 60 yards away. I said he hadn't hit them & they'd just flew away backwards frightened by the shots. When we got up the top of the cliff found two of the three. To my relief as I'd bet him a fiver he hadn't got all three. The gun was a relum telly break barel in .22 with an airsporter spring crammed in btw! I'd love to go back to the spot & rangefind it properly as it is still some of the best shooting I've ever seen.He shot a partridge out of the air with my old slazenger wooden longbow too once! But the scariest was when he shot a hare hiding in the hedge bottom in front of me as we walked along the hedgerow, that was with an old webley bolt action .410 on my uncles farm & I felt the mass of shot go straight past my face in front of me!

Love it, more please. Hell, I was there for the good old days...

45 years ago, I was walking along an irrigation pit looking for anything to shoot, as kids did back then. I was about 30 yards off the edge, and there was a drop down to the water, so I couldn't see the actual edge of the shoreline. I saw a little movement just at the edge, but only the birds head when it raised up. I took aim with my old Benjamin 312 and waited for the snipe to pop it's head back up. Up pops the head and I shot it nearly off. A snipe is good eating, so I was happy. That was standing, unsupported and I seemed to be able to do this with ease. I couldn't hit anything standing these days.