Thread: Gamekeeper for £1200 on sales site

Gamekeeper for £1200 on sales site

Saw a gamekeeper going for sale for £1200 did not realise they were fetching that sort of money.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Saw a gamekeeper going for sale for £1200 did not realise they were fetching that sort of money.
    Strewth! They're probably not fetching anything like that much.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

was one on freeads for ages at that price
    I'm lead to believe that the seller bought two for around 1200 kept the best and was trying to get all his money back
    whether it's the same one I don't know but a gamekeeper in good firing order is around the £650-700 mark more with all barrels and case

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Strewth! They're probably not fetching anything like that much.

Agree. Wish they did though

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    Agree. Wish they did though
    me too ....as i got the wooden version with 2 barrels etc

They do gain quite a bit of attention being one of the first PCP's to find a market. Not cheap then either. Collectors wise they are important and lots to like with their gimmick fit in a case. A full set is definitely a desirable collectors piece and in the future going to reach a high premium.
    But, although desirable and collectable, anyone that has tried to ramp up the price generally has no luck. The real truth is the PCP collector's market has yet to mature. One day it might, or might never, but for sure it hasn't fired up yet. Gamekeepers are interesting, but not that pretty, and not that reliable either. Get a good one to work then they do show what PCP potential is.

The canny are squirrelling away the interesting and some real beauts. Not me sadly. The interest on return is the ownership, but some might creep financially at some time. Think it will be quality and looks that counts, anything that makes a name for itself if out of reach for many.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Apart from some real fuglies such as the skan and gamekeeper, I've stopped collecting pcps. Without regular use they're a proper pain in the backside.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    They do gain quite a bit of attention being one of the first PCP's to find a market. Not cheap then either. Collectors wise they are important and lots to like with their gimmick fit in a case. A full set is definitely a desirable collectors piece and in the future going to reach a high premium.
    But, although desirable and collectable, anyone that has tried to ramp up the price generally has no luck. The real truth is the PCP collector's market has yet to mature. One day it might, or might never, but for sure it hasn't fired up yet. Gamekeepers are interesting, but not that pretty, and not that reliable either. Get a good one to work then they do show what PCP potential is.

The canny are squirrelling away the interesting and some real beauts. Not me sadly. The interest on return is the ownership, but some might creep financially at some time. Think it will be quality and looks that counts, anything that makes a name for itself if out of reach for many.
    Speaking as a collector of springers who has never owned a PCP and has no interest in them at all (ie. not biased at all ) I would worry about whether old ones had rusted in the aiir cylinder and weakened when I went to inflate them (or charge them or whatever it is you do )...

Maybe as a historically important wall hanger? The beauty of old springers is that you can shoot them 50 years after they were last picked up and get that lovely fragrance of old oil dieselling.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    was one on freeads for ages at that price
    I'm lead to believe that the seller bought two for around 1200 kept the best and was trying to get all his money back
    whether it's the same one I don't know but a gamekeeper in good firing order is around the £650-700 mark more with all barrels and case
    This one had all 3 calibre barrels also.

I also don't own a PCP, and would be the first to admit that I don't know that much about them. But the Gamekeeper comes up quite regularly in this section. Then there is the Rapid 7 followers that has some real traction.
    In the past I have worked for a big auction house. The question is what will be the next big thing collectors wise?? The trend is usually todays toys for tomorrows enthusiasts for their past. However, Star Wars collectables might take a while as so much was sold. Its only the odd thing that holds a premium. The premium on "must have" this week isn't always that a few years down the line after the enthusiasm wains. But then there is some hard core that keep a collectable passion progressing.

PCP's? Time will tell, and as said probably the unobtainable of today will hold true tomorrow. I tend to ignore anything marketed "special edition". Though some top end limited editions are so nice they will always hold their own.

Its collecting so have fun.
    Last edited by Muskett; 06-03-2018 at 01:18 AM.

Gamekeeper

I believe these will always command a high price value, build quality is great, interchangeable barrels 4 different calibre's, valving can be an issue, but if thats sorted a great rifle to shoot. Also not that many were actually made. As good as any mondern pcp which don't have the calibre interchangeable choice. I had a real passion for these but then came to the conclusion that I would only keep one of any thing in my collection. I sold 2 sets with 3 barrels for £1200 and £1100 and 2 with 1 barrel for £950 and £875, the 3 barrel sets went quick the others 3-4 weeks and yet a friend of mine sold one with one barrel for £595 quite recently. As with all collectables an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay, all I sold to were very happy with their purchases. The one I have kept is a 3 barrel set with wooden furniture and marked on the receiver THE GAMEKEEPER, SPECIAL EDITION, which I'v never seen another of. I myself look at some prices and think they are well over what the item is worth but they always seem to sell. I hardly ever buy from dealers as they always seem high priced, auctions I occasionally pick something from, mainly what other people have missed or not interested in, but I have also paid over the odds. Luckyly nowdays there isn't much I'm after collecting wise (mark one Daystae Sportsman anyone?) and after 15 years I tend to get most of my accusitions from fellow collectors. Cheers Roll

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/a...psck1egn43.jpg
    http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/a...pslifdyrit.jpg
    http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/a...psleh0nn3v.jpg
    Last edited by roll27; 04-03-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Very nice indeed. I'd love to find one with three barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    Very nice indeed. I'd love to find one with three barrels.
    sadly mines only got 2....never used it as it needs seals or a new valve designing which isnt too hard to do so they say.
    trouble with gamekeepers they are individuals and one valve made for mine may not work in another...
    they do look nice though and the barrel design is so simple but very effective

Rol27, that one of the nicest I've ever seen; nice one. I prefer it over the black version. FN SLR stock furniture.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    ) I would worry about whether old ones had rusted in the aiir cylinder and weakened when I went to inflate them (or charge them or whatever it is you do )...
    Word of warning - if your PCP "inflates" when you charge it, someting is seriously wrong - it's either a bellows gun that you are about to destroy, or it's time to leave the room, quickly...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.