Thread: BSA Airsporter Mk2 - accuracy capability?

BSA Airsporter Mk2 - accuracy capability?

There is an old saying, 'if you can't beat them join them'. I have heard so many good things about BSA Airsporters, the Mk1 and Mk2 (I am told they are the best versions worth collecting), on this site, that I thought I should buy one and find out for myself. This collecting bug is a nuisance and this site adds considerably to the problem, for the simple reason that it enthuses me.

I have an option to purchase a Mk2, at a reasonable price, which is performing smoothly at a good margin over 11ft/lbs. What do others find is the accuracy of this rifle at, say, 25 and 30 yds? Will it produce a 3/4 in group at 30 yds? As a first point of comparison, this would also give me the opportunity to compare it with the Webley Mk3 and settle that particular argument in my own mind, whilst not wanting to reopen this old chestnut on this site!

I fear that, if I do buy it, I will then find something else to seek out - perhaps at Kempton. I fear Lakey is partly responsible for this: I met him at the first Kempton event and his bug is especially infectious, albeit he is in an advanced state with the 'ailment'. Unlike him, however, I am not a technician and taking to pieces an air rifle fills me with a degree of dread.

A

If the MK2 is reasonable then what is there to loose, you should be able to sell it if down the road if you feel it’s not what you thought it would be. Only way to know is to own one. I am somewhat in the same boat having spend all my airgun funds funds and April brings our biggest Airgun Show. I bought probably 8 vintage airguns in the last couple months and the MK2 is the one that I will probably never part with. Classic, iconic are easily overused words but when I got my MK2 the weather was so bad all I could do is look at it propped up in a chair for a month or hold it. That was enough to know, it’s just a work of art. Yesterday it was 70 degrees and I found out it could shoot as well. To me that was just a bonus. If in April I see a Webley MK3, I will have no remorse.

Have had one good session with my mk1.

Got groups of 1 inch at 25 yds using defiant 5.6 mm pellets, but found this was with the scope moving. Will try again sometime soon with a stronger mount.

The mk2 in my opinion is the best of the airsporters. Looks better and you will enjoy using it. Go get it!

Quote Originally Posted by leetrenchard View Post
    Have had one good session with my mk1.

Got groups of 1 inch at 25 yds using defiant 5.6 mm pellets, but found this was with the scope moving. Will try again sometime soon with a stronger mount.
    I thought the mk1 didn't have dovetails? Are the defiant 5.6mm still available? The mk2 I owned was cosmetically rough, but shot beautifully.

DEFIANT VINTAGE are still available on E**Y , and will be yet for months to come.

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    DEFIANT VINTAGE are still available on E**Y , and will be yet for months to come.
    Thanks, just ordered some to try

I have owned my Mk 2 Airsporter since 1980 (well I did sell it once to a member on here when I was short of cash and had the option to buy it back when I had the money and true to his word he let me buy it back, so he was really looking after it for me for a wile I will not sell this one again ) its in very good condition has a 4x40 scope on it power is around 10 ft lbs and shoots very well using RWS Superdomes, its the best Airsporter bsa made in my opinion its doing 1 inch groups at 30 yard any further and the groups do open up, its not going to win any field target comp's but its filled my game bag many times with rabbits and pigeons.

My mk2 is not very accurate at all! After eliminating all other possibilities I think taking a coil or 2 off the spring might be in order as it seems rather harsh.

BSA Airsporter Mk2 - accuracy capability?

I wonder what groups the .22 ones would do with the old good quality wasps? I suspect they would give the best groups of all.Shame they're like rocking horse doo doo to find these days.

The problem with Andrews request is that you have to be a shooter capable of a 3/4 inch group at 30 yards with a open sight. My rifle would be a perfect candidate for his test but with my eyes I would need a scope and my rifle has the wide, two scope grooves. But this gun should never have a scope?, just not right?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    The problem with Andrews request is that you have to be a shooter capable of a 3/4 inch group at 30 yards with a open sight. My rifle would be a perfect candidate for his test but with my eyes I would need a scope and my rifle has the wide, two scope grooves. But this gun should never have a scope?, just not right?
    Not quite. The Mk2 'sporter and Mk1 Meteor represent BSA's 1959-vintage effort to market air rifles with scopes (IIRC the first brand to do so), so a scope is not historically incorrect.

Problem is, the little 2x20 (I think) and 3x20 scopes sold with them back then were poor, and a good shot often did better with the irons.

The compromise solution is the John Knibbs mount bases with modern rings and a decent 70s gloss Japanese 4x32 or similar.

In general, though, I think things like these are just more satisfying with the iron sights. Same with Webley MkIIIs, 1950s Dianas, etc.

I sent my Airsporter S to Welsh Willy for a service and tune up. Very pleased with his service and it remains accurate enough for target shooting or the occasional Squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    But this gun should never have a scope?, just not right?
    It wouldn't look right with a modern scope, but if I could find a set of mounts to fit mine and a nice small period scope of say 3 or 4 mag and not more than a 32mm front lens - e.g. an old Weaver or early Leupold I would certainly give it a try.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Mk11

I bought a really nice looking mk11 the other day, it’s got a lovely patina to the walnut stock, haven’t had chance to have a go with it yet, but it’s just had a reblue and a rebuild so I hope it will be fine