Thread: BSA Airsporter Mk2 - accuracy capability?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA Airsporter Mk2 - accuracy capability?

I wonder what groups the .22 ones would do with the old good quality wasps? I suspect they would give the best groups of all.Shame they're like rocking horse doo doo to find these days.

The problem with Andrews request is that you have to be a shooter capable of a 3/4 inch group at 30 yards with a open sight. My rifle would be a perfect candidate for his test but with my eyes I would need a scope and my rifle has the wide, two scope grooves. But this gun should never have a scope?, just not right?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    The problem with Andrews request is that you have to be a shooter capable of a 3/4 inch group at 30 yards with a open sight. My rifle would be a perfect candidate for his test but with my eyes I would need a scope and my rifle has the wide, two scope grooves. But this gun should never have a scope?, just not right?
    Not quite. The Mk2 'sporter and Mk1 Meteor represent BSA's 1959-vintage effort to market air rifles with scopes (IIRC the first brand to do so), so a scope is not historically incorrect.

Problem is, the little 2x20 (I think) and 3x20 scopes sold with them back then were poor, and a good shot often did better with the irons.

The compromise solution is the John Knibbs mount bases with modern rings and a decent 70s gloss Japanese 4x32 or similar.

In general, though, I think things like these are just more satisfying with the iron sights. Same with Webley MkIIIs, 1950s Dianas, etc.

I sent my Airsporter S to Welsh Willy for a service and tune up. Very pleased with his service and it remains accurate enough for target shooting or the occasional Squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    But this gun should never have a scope?, just not right?
    It wouldn't look right with a modern scope, but if I could find a set of mounts to fit mine and a nice small period scope of say 3 or 4 mag and not more than a 32mm front lens - e.g. an old Weaver or early Leupold I would certainly give it a try.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Mk11

I bought a really nice looking mk11 the other day, it’s got a lovely patina to the walnut stock, haven’t had chance to have a go with it yet, but it’s just had a reblue and a rebuild so I hope it will be fine