Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small gun shops

Small gun shops

and the hangers on.
    Recently visited three small gun shops in my area and each had the salesperson installed but each also had a consignment of tea drinking friends congregated around the salesperson.
    As a new customer to the shops I found this quite off putting as the salesperson would have to 'talk over' his friends to me and they would immediately express their opinion on what we were talking about.
    Buying online obviates the problem for me and I will probably do that in the future....

I know when i got into mountain bikes I would go to the shop and hang about sometimes as I got on with the owner (I ended up working for him part time ) and it helped him through the day as he would maybe not get many customers in and it broke up his day .

There was times when people would come in and ask about products that Paul the owner had not heard of an I had and I knew who imported the items and that would save Paul trawling through his dealer brochures or calling the suppliers if the customer only knew the model name but not the maker (1990,s so not much internet searching then). One day he offered me a part time job as my mate was running the shop then but he was alone on a saturday when they were busy , I ended helping my mate out. I was not paid for it but got my bike parts at trade prices

so in some cases the hanger on's can help the Shop owners with a query that may take a hour or two to find the answer too. . I have helped the guy in my local shop with a customer query when the shop owner did not know who supplied a product that a customer asked about .

I asked if i may help ,I don't butt in .

I too have experienced this; usually many such persons are clad in camo for some reason. I usually bump into one of them on my way out and say " Sorry, I didn't see you"; they usually don't get it!
    This also happens in some of the bigger gun shops as well BTW,
    Last edited by noz1; 22-02-2018 at 04:24 PM.

secretagentmole Guest
    When we went to pick up the other half's Scorpion SE after a BSA rework we ended up helping a customer choose a gun (Theoben Evo .177) and sold him one for his son too (Gamo Delta Fox)!

The bloke at John Knibbs was rather pleased we were there as most of the staff were at a family wedding!

There are a couple of smaller shops I use regularly where I'm likely to be offered a coffee & stay for a chat, but I have the good manners to step back from the counter should a "paying customer" enter.

Similarly to BH above there have been times when I have been able to help answer questions the owner couldn't, more than once one owner has asked me if I've got 10 minutes to talk airguns with someone who was asking information rather than specifically wanting to buy & I've mounted a scope when there was a rush & the owner was on his own, once they even phoned me at home in case I knew something they'd been asked.

At the other end of the scale I've also told a "counter warrior" or two to mind their own business.

Haha I think you might be me Bighit.
    I'm into mountain bikes too and help out for free and cheap parts.
    Owners name is Paul as well

Which shops?
    There are some i avoid for similar reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    Haha I think you might be me Bighit.
    I'm into mountain bikes too and help out for free and cheap parts.
    Owners name is Paul as well
    Shop I was speaking of was in Edinburgh and mid calder . Mountain Magic it was called . Started in mid calder then he opened one at the grass market in edinburgh,closed mid calder then after a few years he closed the Edinburgh shop and opened up in mid calder again ,He closed totally in 1997.

I loved helping out in the shop . Dealing with customers building bikes and fixing my own bike in the shop at lunchtime or when not busy.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Shop I was speaking of was in Edinburgh and mid calder . Mountain Magic it was called . Started in mid calder then he opened one at the grass market in edinburgh,closed mid calder then after a few years he closed the Edinburgh shop and opened up in mid calder again ,He closed totally in 1997.

I loved helping out in the shop . Dealing with customers building bikes and fixing my own bike in the shop at lunchtime or when not busy.
    I help in one called The Bike Shop Scotland.
    My job is usually building and sorting wheels as it frees up time for the other two to do repairs and deal with the public.
    Like you say handy for sorting your own bike too.

Quote Originally Posted by nitemax View Post
    and the hangers on.
    Recently visited three small gun shops in my area and each had the salesperson installed but each also had a consignment of tea drinking friends congregated around the salesperson.
    As a new customer to the shops I found this quite off putting as the salesperson would have to 'talk over' his friends to me and they would immediately express their opinion on what we were talking about.
    Buying online obviates the problem for me and I will probably do that in the future....
    Absolutely agree with everything you have said - it also happens around here in Devon in fishing tackle shops.
    A good friend and formidable enemy

I've experienced it, it's annoying. Its the same at fishing tackle shops. it will be the same all over the UK. I hope shop owners read this thread and if they are making there mates a brew shove them in the back room.
    Someone said house work wont kill you, but I say 'why take that chance'
    www.airgunshooter.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
    Absolutely agree with everything you have said - it also happens around here in Devon in fishing tackle shops.
    It's difficult with small businesses to establish a trade. I opened a business in North cornwall myself about 18 years ago and had the same comments levelled at me.
    The fact is, those hangers on are often the core customers of the new business and its a difficult move to stop that happening.
    As soon as I was made aware that customers found it offputting, the free coffees stopped. A quiet word at a quiet time with the owner or even a quick phone call may well change things pretty quick.
    Don't dismiss new businesses, there's plenty of real deals to be had while the trade builds. A sale even at a reduced price is a sale. That means the ability to get more stock.
    B.A.S.C. member

Ive noticed this alot in the few gun shops in my area. Great to have a chat with the owner about stuff when its not busy but these days it always is and the same group most times. I still remember when i bought my tx200. Must have waited 45min before i was seen to and I couldnt get a word in sideways cos his friend was there getting full attention. Nearly cancelled the purchase last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Zambi666 View Post
    Ive noticed this alot in the few gun shops in my area. Great to have a chat with the owner about stuff when its not busy but these days it always is and the same group most times. I still remember when i bought my tx200. Must have waited 45min before i was seen to and I couldnt get a word in sideways cos his friend was there getting full attention. Nearly cancelled the purchase last minute.
    I would have told him to shove it. I work in retail and, that just sounds like piss poor manners.

You're not a million miles from me - was it one of our local shops?

There is a shop round this way that, to be fair, is a good shop - always has plenty of stock and, is willing to price match (the shop owner is spot on).
    The only reason that I don't go in there anymore, is because my patience have worn very thin with the know-it-all bellend behind the counter.
    You go in there knowing exactly what you want but, he has to rubbish it and try to sell you something else because he thinks it's better - every bloody time, without fail.

All of the above.

Use to have a simular problem in our local gunshop. He has now retired and they now only sell airguns as the previous owner was a proper gunsmith. Same counter clingers use to be in there every bloody day. I went there one day to get pellets for my then owned hw97 .177cal. Had the local know it all ask what gun they were for and when i said a hw97 he said " you need to get a better gun m8. Them 97's are crap" so i then asked him what airguns did he have. Told me he had a webley eclipse. Asked him whats the longest range he nailed a rabbit at." I had one the other day at 45yards pal. Whats yours' when i told him 70yrd with my crap 97 he shut right up. Dave smirked and handed me my pellets. That convo was so satisfying. Although now with my eyesight i do not hunt anymore. The local gobshites spoil these gunshops. Although Had the reverse where one of daves mates has helped me with info a few times. So not all the clingers are wankers. But i will say dave always served you regardless of who was in there chatting to him.