Thread: Removing old valve from buddy bottle.

Removing old valve from buddy bottle.

Firstly can you please read everything before replying. Thanks.
    Please note that the bottle is completely EMPTY and has a hole in the top so the bottle is completely de-pressured.
    My problem is this. I have an old buddy bottle with mullered threads and no scallop indents to apply any kind of tool. I have heated up the valve area with a blowlamp and tried quite hard to twist the valve off using large mole grips. I have secured the bottle in a large vice with rubber coated jaws so the bottle doesn't twist out of the vice. Still it doesn't move.
    Having failed to dislodge the valve using the above method I'm at a loss to know how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Send it to dr bob. He will sort it.

Much as I like Dr Bob it wouldn't be worth the postage.
    Finally sorted it. Mole grip firmly gripping valve, valve heated up and a couple of 1/2" drive extension bars attached to a long socket that fitted over the thicker of the 2 mole grip handles. Even then it was a hell of a hard job. I actually lifted my workbench up in the early stages. The superglue used in the initial fixing really did its job.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Thumbs up

I have two 12l aluminium cylinders that were going to the scrapyard along with some old alloy wheels, Don't have a pic on my driving licence so I had to bring them home, I removed the valves with a 24" stillson spanner!, They opened easier than I thought they would!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/