Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of Town with Jack Hargreaves

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Jack Hargreaves got me interested in airgunning.

It was on the 'How' childrens' program that he showed how sand is an effective backstop. He used a break barrel pistol and I remember him showing the placing of the 'slug' as he called it into the back of the barrel prior to the demonstration. In those days I suppose that would have been an appropriate moniker.

Odd what stick in your mind from being 8 innit?

On the other hand a slug would have made it an early form of paint-ball gun.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    The same "genre" as Bernard Venables aka. "Mr. Crabtree" !
    Old "Crabbers" couldn't half catch 'em !
    “An airgun or two”………

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I think a lot of modern townies don't and won't understand what goes on in the countryside today, a guy I work with went ferreting the other week (not sure where he done it as people where walking past) and a lot of the locals said they hadn't seen ferreting done for years and were not bothered but one townie woman came past and went nuts and started swearing and calling them murderers because of what they were doing to the poor old rabbits and called the police, she started crying and blubbering down the phone saying they were going to shoot her, when an armed response car turned up and realised it was three guys with a couple of ferrets, the police realised what was going on and nothing was taken any further BUT the officers asked them to sign an apology letter to give to the woman (apparently) to help ease her so called stress, it happened with a local clay pigeon shoot as well, it had been there for 30 odd years and someone bought a house nearby and didn't like the noise and tried to have it shut down.

I can still remember the the music to the show and the guy ploughing the field with the horses at the beginning, strange what you can remember from years ago.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Fond memories of a gentler age when life was much simpler. Still have some shows on dvd.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    ...asked them to sign...
    Did they?

Would Jack have?
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

I think a lot of modern townies don't and won't understand what goes on in the countryside today, a guy I work with went ferreting the other week (not sure where he done it as people where walking past) and a lot of the locals said they hadn't seen ferreting done for years and were not bothered but one townie woman came past and went nuts and started swearing and calling them murderers because of what they were doing to the poor old rabbits and called the police, she started crying and blubbering down the phone saying they were going to shoot her, when an armed response car turned up and realised it was three guys with a couple of ferrets, the police realised what was going on and nothing was taken any further BUT the officers asked them to sign an apology letter to give to the woman (apparently) to help ease her so called stress, it happened with a local clay pigeon shoot as well, it had been there for 30 odd years and someone bought a house nearby and didn't like the noise and tried to have it shut down.

I can still remember the the music to the show and the guy ploughing the field with the horses at the beginning, strange what you can remember from years ago.

Pete
    Really ,the women should be taken to court for wasting police time

Pete

You should watch a film called nature of the beast a film set in the early 80s, it tells the story of a boy and his BSA airgun tracking a wild cat that is terrorising the local farmers.
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

Just watched an episode on youtube and it was a real treasure to see it again.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Did they?

Would Jack have?
    Apparently they did reluctantly.

God only knows what Jack would have done.

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    Totally agree but you get a lot of people like that, my ex-wife was very Jekyll and Hyde (I think they call it bipolar now) and would start all sorts of arguments because she was an attention seeker, the old gun shop near me (before it closed down and reopened with idiots now running it) used to have a guy managing it and he had an argument whilst out with his psycho girlfriend one night and she was creating outside a pub with lots of people watching, the guy grabbed her arm to stop her storming off and she called the police to say that he had beat her up, even though there was no evidence of abuse on her body and even her friend gave evidence saying that nothing had happened, he was arrested and lost his FAC, SGC and his RFD licence and obviously his job, the shop closed down shortly afterwards.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

pjbingham is online now My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    There are now two Out of Town dvd boxsets. They are in no way complete series but rather what remains that hasn’t been lost or destroyed. The first came out early 2000’s if I remember rightly and the later set a few years back. The second set are titled ‘The Lost Episodes’ and the accompanying booklet explains how they were tracked down and found. I have both boxsets and although not cheap they are worth it for the memories they evoke. A few notes of Recuerdos de la Alhambra takes me straight back.

Loved watching this as a kid.
    It definitely boosted my love of the countryside.

creed Guest
    Some townspeople seem to regard the countryside as a recreational area for themselves which should work for that purpose alone.Never mind farming for food and land management.
    I am not convinced tv's current offerings do anything to dispel this notion eg Countryfile.
    Anyone behaving lawfully in carrying out countryside pursuits or work should not be asked by police constables to write any apology to anyone for acting lawfully and anyone so asked should decline.
    I too remember Jack Hargeaves and "How".Much better,to me,at the time than "Blue Peter".
    Different times,I suppose.

Wasn't there an episode where they got the giggles when reviewing a Norfolk Dyke Scoop?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer