Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro sport stock worth changing to walnut?

Pro sport stock worth changing to walnut?

Hi all,

I recently picked up an early pro sport which needs a lot of work getting it looking good again.
    With the fact its a heavy gun and the stock is rough I've thought about looking for a second hand walnut stock.
    But is it a worth while swap cost vs weight saved?

Cheers,
    johnj
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    You won't save a massive amount changing from beech to walnut (about 1 to 2 pounds) the Prosport is just one of those guns you'll have to get used to the weight, yes it's a beast to carry around all day but the balance and performance outweigh the weight problem, I have a very early Prosport in a later walnut stock and it's fantastic.

They also look far better in walnut and if you do happen to knock the stock you can easily rectify the problem more easily with walnut.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

How early? The earlier Pro Sport only had the 2 forward stock screws while the later ones have the standard 4 screws, 2 forward and 2 just ahead of the trigger. It may be hard to find a 2 hole stock, if that's what you have.

Definately worth it if you can find one for a decent price. Walnut over Beech any day. Its more resilient to scratches, nicks and looks pretty

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    How early? The earlier Pro Sport only had the 2 forward stock screws while the later ones have the standard 4 screws, 2 forward and 2 just ahead of the trigger. It may be hard to find a 2 hole stock, if that's what you have.
    Mine is an early two hole and had a beech stock but I then sold the rifle to Alistair (Hsing-ee) and then bought it back off of him, which it then had a later four hole beech stock on it, I'm sure Alistair said the two rear stock holes where already in the alloy cradle, if not it wouldn't take much to put two in, I now have a later walnut stock on it.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Absolutely a great thing, might be expensive though, but it looks nice

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Get a selected Custom Stocks one, CS800 on P-S looks fantastic:

Jerry

Thanks for the replies.

I was expecting replacing with walnut would save 1/2 a pound in weight 3/4 max. If it could reduce the weight by as much as 2 pound it would be a no brainer does anyone know the true difference, i guess i could check the air arms site.
    I actually like beech and some have great gain and pattern.
    As for custom stocks not only out of budget but for me not necessary as i don't think you can beat the standard stock design although my old TX mk2 was the best gun I've ever handled.
    Cheers, johnj.
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

Got a beech and walnut tx200 standard stocks, but the walnut one is 100grammes heavier so all depends on actual piece of wood.

Thanks Martyn,
    I didn't think of the density of wood used.
    Just looked at the air arms site and it gives a weight difference of 1/2 pound as i expected so if i was buying a new gun and opted for the walnut with one of the expected benefits being a lighter fun i wouldn't be to happy with one that was heavier than the cheaper beech option!
    I will probably keep an eye out for a second hand walnut stock but don't think one will turn up in my price range, but you never know, if i get the current stock sorted in the mean time I'll most likely keep it as the air arms gods intended.

Cheers johnj.

Dont care how good the grain is in a beech it is never going to look as good as a walnut one. Mine has lovely grain.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Dont care how good the grain is in a beech it is never going to look as good as a walnut one. Mine has lovely grain.
    Mine too, weights not really an issue for me so I’d go for whatever looks the best, in this case its the walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by johnj View Post
    Thanks Martyn,
    I didn't think of the density of wood used.
    Just looked at the air arms site and it gives a weight difference of 1/2 pound as i expected so if i was buying a new gun and opted for the walnut with one of the expected benefits being a lighter fun i wouldn't be to happy with one that was heavier than the cheaper beech option!
    I will probably keep an eye out for a second hand walnut stock but don't think one will turn up in my price range, but you never know, if i get the current stock sorted in the mean time I'll most likely keep it as the air arms gods intended.

Cheers johnj.
    Sorry I think I might have got my pounds, ounces and kilos mixed up, my apologies if I got your hopes up for a much lighter gun, like what has already been suggested, fitting a walnut Customs Stocks stock will make it handle nicely but then you lose the beautiful lines and shapes of the original Prosport stock, which I believe is one of the stand out features of the Prosport, if it was an ugly looking thing, say, like any HW then I'd agree with fitting a CS stock.

Pete

I fitted a CS stock to my Prosport and combined with a sub 10 oz Weaver scope these changes made the rifle feel much lighter and easier to handle.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Mine is an early two hole and had a beech stock but I then sold the rifle to Alistair (Hsing-ee) and then bought it back off of him, which it then had a later four hole beech stock on it, I'm sure Alistair said the two rear stock holes where already in the alloy cradle, if not it wouldn't take much to put two in, I now have a later walnut stock on it.

Pete
    The threaded holes were indeed already there, I just needed to buy a couple of bolts to go through them.

I tried that ProSport in a CS thumbhole, it was not any more comfortable. The standard stock is superb, in fact it the rifle is almost perfect from the factory.