Thread: Fwb sport with asi sticker [removal question]

Fwb sport with asi sticker [removal question]

I have recently acquired a mint fwb sport 127 ,it still has the asi sticker attached to the cylinder also in mint condition. Question is should I remove this or will the blueing be damaged underneath after all this time,or should I just leave it purely as this was how they came anyway???

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Leave it alone. I recon it adds to the condition of the rifle. A liitle bit of "as new-ness".
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Leave it; these stickers add value when on a mint rifle.
    There are plenty of FWB Sports used to shoot; far less mint ones in this condition. Such mint ones are worth keeping perfect factory fresh IMHO.
    In truth a rifle of this age, never shot, really should be serviced, relubed, before it is. Well better for it, as they often sound a bit rough and gummed up.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Defo leave it...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

FWBF Sticker

Leave it on but....if you do remove it will not do anything to the blueing at all. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Leave it on but....if you do remove it will not do anything to the blueing at all. Mach 1.5
    Probably the blueing would have faded slightly around the sticker leaving an unsightly mark.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi charley, I have one in similar condition to yours, mine also have a Mastersport sticker too. At one time I was thinking of removing them, but, as it is part of it's history they stay put.....

Thanks all think I will leave it have fired it ,and it is quite smooth and quiet producing just under 11ft lbs and is accurate as you could possibly want

Sounds good,& yes leave it on.

I dont like the sticker but its how they came on the MK11 ,I have one the same which I have left as I have others I can use.

You might discover, however, that when you rub an oily rag over the cylinder, to preserve the metal from rust, eventually this will discolour the sticker and/or cause it to fade.

I recently acquired an FWB 127 and I recall reading, somewhere on this forum, that the washer/seal at the end of the piston, has a habit of disintegration after many years. You might like to bear that in mind, given your rifle is probably around 35 years old. In addition, given it seems not to have been used, you will probably find that the power increases after it beds in.

Out of curiosity, where did you manage to find a mint and unused specimen after such a long period? Who owned it but did not use it?

A lot were sold, so mint aren't impossible to find. But they are getting increasingly difficult to find. Its one rifle that goes in and out of favour every few years; well as one to try if only to find out what everyone is banging on about. Just a fantastic classic, of a weight and pointability thats so right.
    A lot were sold but people keep using them, so at some point the pool will dry up.

FWB Sport

Greetings, my airgun brethren in the U.K.!
    I too have recently had the good fortune of acquiring an FWB Sport in somewhat mint condition. However, mine is the 124 model imported (as many were over here) by Beeman. Mine is, what we commonly refer to as, the Deluxe model with rubber buttpad, palm swell, sling swivels and pistol grip checkering. Sorry, but I have not kept up with what is considered to be a MK I or MK II in these rifles. Mine came with the plastic sights, metal trigger and, according to the serial # range, appears to have been made around late 1981 or early 1982.
    I stumbled upon it at a gunshow (firearms) in Houston. I could not believe what I saw at first. At this show, which is held 2-3 times per year, there are not many airguns and if there are they are generally inexpensive models. So this was an unusual occurrence, needless to say. The gun was in immaculate condition, as though it had been in a time capsule. The owner said he had gotten it in a trade and didn't know how it shot. I have owned several of the 124's ( 127's are kind of scarce in these parts) and I understood that most likely it would need to have the piston seal dug out and replaced and possibly a spring. So, after a little price negotiating (most of the fun) I walked away the proud papa of the best looking 124 I have ever seen. No marks or blemishes on the wood or metal. Only the buttpad is a little dog-eared, but that is okay by me.
    So the piston seal had separated in two with half in the bottom of the compression tube and half still attached to the piston. I was able to get the remains out and ordered a tune kit from ARH (Macarri) and got it all cleaned, deburred, polished and lubed with new internals. She is now revived and as active as ever. Long live the FWB Sports!

God Bless,
    Scott

Tullja: that's what we call a Mk2 (Deluxe).

Of course, when I bought one brand new in 1982, one of the first things I did was to remove the ASI sticker. I think I lot of us did.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Tullja: that's what we call a Mk2 (Deluxe).

Of course, when I bought one brand new in 1982, one of the first things I did was to remove the ASI sticker. I think I lot of us did.
    Thank you Geezer!

God Bless,
    Scott