Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Custom Take-Down Rifle

BSA Custom Take-Down Rifle

I posted a few pics of this unique old BSA a while ago, with permission of the owner at that time, in an effort to learn more about it. I was only able to offer a limited amount of information based on the owners thoughts, and a brief hands-on session with the gun myself. Sadly, no information as to whom the skilled craftsman may have been who did the modification work, nor the circumstances surrounding its creation have yet come to light.

This unique specimen was recently offered for sale, and it now resides in my collection.
    In the process of tearing the gun down to freshen up the obviously dried out lubricants, I had to admire the creativity and skill evident in the modifications carried out.

The rifle began life as a “L” pattern BSA underlever. The original trigger block was replaced with an extension to the main tube which contains a linearly operating hammer, and a hammer tripped sear. The end cover for this extension has a locating pin protruding rearward, which locates into a corresponding pocket in the new trigger block. The hammer engages with a slide unit that travels within a set of rails located in the trigger block. It is this slide unit that is engaged by the trigger sear when cocked. The sliding bar that protrudes from the front of the trigger block is used to cock the hammer, and set the trigger. The bar is operated by the intermediate link of the cocking lever. The whole system operates very smoothly, and the trigger is very crisp and predictable.
    The trigger block also incorporates a built in rear peep sight base, and a cross-bolt safety for the trigger.

The gun is very easily taken down by removal of a large bolt located at the underside of the trigger block, forward of the trigger guard. When the bolt is fully removed, the slide that cocks the hammer moves forward, allowing the rear portion of the compression tube to also move forward to disengage its locating pin at the rear, and then up and clear of the slide unit for the hammer. When taken down, the barrel/breech/compression tube assembly is the longest part, approximately 29 inches (73.7 cm) long. Compare this to the length of the OEM barrel on a Webley Service Mk II, at approximately 25.5 inches (64.8 cm). Thus, this BSA Custom is only about 3.5 inches (8.9 cm) longer when taken down.

If anyone can possibly provide any further information with regard to the history of this uniquely modified BSA, I would very much like to hear from them.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I love that action. Very ingenious.
    I take it the piston rod engages with the sear independantly of the trigger mech, and the trigger mech itself is cocked by the cocking arm coming into contact with that "plunger" on the front of the trigger mech housing as the cocking stroke is completed?
    Has this type of mechanism been used on any production rifles? (from any maker).
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Amazing rifle, Len! Thanks for posting the pics.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Another well made one off. there are some real clever people who can do these sought of things. l wish l was one of them.

That is crazy cool. Not that many air rifles that break down? Very nice on a rifle for transport. Webley Standard you can remove the barrel. Crosman 101, 102 you can easily remove stock. Any other notables?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

Amazing rifle, Len! Thanks for posting the pics.
    Agreed 100%, and indeed. Many many thanks: it is simply superb.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post

That is crazy cool. Not that many air rifles that break down? Very nice on a rifle for transport. Webley Standard you can remove the barrel. Crosman 101, 102 you can easily remove stock. Any other notables?
    The Webley & Scott Service Rifle, and the Webley & Scott Hawk Mk.I and Mk.II rifles.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for posting the great pictures and details of this amazingly innovative air rifle. I'm always left in awe when I see such high quality examples of engineering prowess produced by private individuals.

Thanks again.

Brian

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I like that...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Like the quality engineering but not really a candidate for a take-down. Still huge, can you think of better options, Gem, Britannia ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I love that action. Very ingenious.
    I take it the piston rod engages with the sear independantly of the trigger mech, and the trigger mech itself is cocked by the cocking arm coming into contact with that "plunger" on the front of the trigger mech housing as the cocking stroke is completed?
    Has this type of mechanism been used on any production rifles? (from any maker).
    I rather like it too.
    Yes, you are correct in your thoughts on the operation of the gun.
    Hammer activated sears have been used on numerous airguns, but I am not sure if any have used the specific mechanics as used on this custom.

Thanks all for the kind words.
    It was my pleasure to post the pics.
    Still hoping that someone, somewhere, might recognize the workmanship or the concept.

Damn...
    ...another opportunity to own something unique and beautiful has passed me by.

Oddly, I am struggling to even think of any other Springer take-down I've ever seen. There are obvious PCPs (I even have an Altos Trailsman) - but Springer's...?

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    Damn...
    ...another opportunity to own something unique and beautiful has passed me by.

Oddly, I am struggling to even think of any other Springer take-down I've ever seen. There are obvious PCPs (I even have an Altos Trailsman) - but Springer's...?
    There are a few where the barrel is easily removed almost halving the length of the rifle, examples like the Webley Hawk and Hammerli X2.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    There are a few where the barrel is easily removed almost halving the length of the rifle, examples like the Webley Hawk and Hammerli X2.

Baz
    Somehow just removing the barrel doesn't seem 'ingenious' enough. The action on this example is a very clever little piece of 'gunsmithing art'...
    ...but can't think of many (any?) that fall into a true springer TDR category.

Anyone have any other examples?