Thread: Strange break barrel cocking problem.

Question Strange break barrel cocking problem.

Hi everyone.
    Hope someone out there can solve my strange cocking problem. Gun is a Benjamin BBP77 (new). I recently stripped and tuned the gun, first two loads, no problem, then when trying to cock for the third time the cocking levers had drooped down and broke the front end of the plastic stock. I removed the plastic butt and looked at the cocking levers. They are very loose and under gravity just droop so the angle of attack when you try to compress the gas ram is completely wrong and ineffective. I have restrained the droop, with a jubilee clip, and the gun cocks and fires. All I can think is that the rivet pins of the cocking levers have worked loose to allow this initial droop. If this is the case the design is crap. Any help in solving my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if I can help but you may find looking at a parts list will help you identify the problem. I just found an exploded parts list/diagram by a google search. The rivets you refer to are pins which are usually hardened. There also appears to be some sort of bracket that could restrain the cocking lever. Are you certain you got the parts back together correctly? Sorry to ask but mistakes can happen, especially as your problem seems to have happened immediately after a rebuild.
    Have a look at the diagram and see it the assembly is OK.
    Cheers, Phil

Could there be a bit missing inside that keeps the cocking link in place when you cock it?

It may sit in the stock .like a plastic insert .

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Not sure if I can help but you may find looking at a parts list will help you identify the problem. I just found an exploded parts list/diagram by a google search. The rivets you refer to are pins which are usually hardened. There also appears to be some sort of bracket that could restrain the cocking lever. Are you certain you got the parts back together correctly? Sorry to ask but mistakes can happen, especially as your problem seems to have happened immediately after a rebuild.
    Have a look at the diagram and see it the assembly is OK.
    Cheers, Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Could there be a bit missing inside that keeps the cocking link in place when you cock it?

It may sit in the stock .like a plastic insert .
    I don't know this model, but the above sounds very plausible. Quite a few break barrels out there rely on an insert in the stock to retain the cocking shoe into the cylinder / piston.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Checked against the parts diagram/list, it's all there in the right place. One odd one is part #23 described as a drag spring. It's just a U shaped bit of plastic that sits on the cocking link I guess to prevent marking the outside of the cylinder.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Checked against the parts diagram/list, it's all there in the right place. One odd one is part #23 described as a drag spring. It's just a U shaped bit of plastic that sits on the cocking link I guess to prevent marking the outside of the cylinder.
    Cheers.
    Again out of ignorance: could the drag spring sit against the stock to prevent the cocking link bending the wrong way and so knocking the stock? Maybe it helps the cocking link maintain a straight push during cocking?
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Again out of ignorance: could the drag spring sit against the stock to prevent the cocking link bending the wrong way and so knocking the stock? Maybe it helps the cocking link maintain a straight push during cocking?
    Cheers, Phil
    The so called drag spring sits in a groove on top of the cocking link up against the underneath of the cylinder.

Solution

Just to complete this thread. The problem has been solved with a mod. Drag Spring was removed and I machined a brass block to fit in the stock and guide the cocking link. If anyone wants the drawing send your email and I will get it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    Cheers.
    I have a Gamo CFX that I tuned and when I rebuilt it had a similar problem. I also had a small stirrup like plastic prt that fell out broken during the rebuild. I found that little piece made a big difference and I was fortunate Gamo still sold the piece. I would try to get a replacement part and see if that fixes it.