Thread: Recommend me a pistol

Recommend me a pistol

I want to buy an air pistol for a friend who's interested in shooting pistols but is unlikely to buy her own; I believe with her own, she'll eventually want to take the sport further. Her shooting then, to start with, will be general plinking in her garden at tins etc with the occasional target to see how she's progressing. Max budget would be £100 but would consider taking it to £150 if absolutely necessary. It needs to be magazine fed and of reasonable action and accuracy to encourage her from the outset. Nothing too heavy and I would also consider second hand if necessary.
    Grateful for any ideas to fit the bill, thanks in advance.

Hmmm tricky one.

Magazine fed would mean CO2 powered which has a fairly loud report. This could be a problem if she's plinking in the garden.

SSP pistols also have a distinctive and quite loud report.

Of course I may be talking rubbish as she may have a huge garden in the middle of nowhere.

It may be worth considering a Weihrauch HW70. Break barrel cocking , good sights and nice trigger.
    Not too much of a handful either and about £140 new. Also, self contained so no ongoing costs for
    gas capsules.

Way off your original spec I know!
    Last edited by Inspector 71; 23-02-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Shooting tin cans, eh. So you'll want something with a bit of clout behind it so the tins bounce a bit. I would try looking at the Umarex blow back .177 pellet pistols. The fast rate of fire gives the fun element, which is what is needed to keep the interest going, as well as possible the hit ratio. Leave the bb ones alone for now. Have fun.
    Last edited by where's it gone; 23-02-2018 at 04:10 PM.

When you say magazine fed do you mean multi shot?
    What about a revolver?

Recommend me a pistol

secondhand walther cp88.

By magazine fed, I really should have said multi-shot, such that she doesn't have to reload after each shot, so a revolver could be a consideration. The revolvers I have tried have been chunky, solid items which would probably be too heavy, unless someone knows otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootfish View Post
    By magazine fed, I really should have said multi-shot, such that she doesn't have to reload after each shot, so a revolver could be a consideration. The revolvers I have tried have been chunky, solid items which would probably be too heavy, unless someone knows otherwise.
    You might have tried the Umerex S&W 586-6, very good, solid, heavy. The Crosman 3576W/Vigilante is a cheaper/lightweight alternative, accurate pistol; you could buy new and handful of spare mags for your budget.

If a Mod is needed, the S&W (used price in your budget) can be fitted with an adapter for a Mod; but makes it heavier and cumbersome.

As said, Umerex CP88 used is compact (but less punch than the above). Not recall whether a mod can be fitted if required.

If out in the sticks a bb repeater might be OK, but bear in mind likely rebounds.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

I was just about to recommend the Crosman Vigilante.

Is it double action only though as this would affect accuracy potential

Cheap though.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post

Cheap though.
    Oh, did not realise that. I have the older C357-6 pellet only pistol which is SA/DA.

I'd like to point out that, as long as the fired projectile, pellet or bb, does not leave the boundaries of your property, you are doing nothing wrong. Read the plentiful subjects on the law found online. Even if it means upsetting your neighbor's.
    https://basc.org.uk/airgunning/advic...d-fact-sheets/
    Last edited by where's it gone; 24-02-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post

Cheap though.
    The Crosman Vigilante is double and single action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpEBRI1busY

If you want to go new that would be the best bet. Not the best looking revolver but very accurate and will last for years. Don't worry about the plastic externals. It is all metal underneath.

If you want to go up to 150 I would suggest an Umarex CP88. You can get one from Germany for that price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRn9Etamg3Q

Either gun would be pleasant to use, and likely to increase her enthusiasm for shooting.

If you can manage it, I would go for the CP88 - lovely little gun, and very accurate.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

There is also the CP88 Competition which has a longer barrel/shroud for a bit more fps and longer sight base (but adds weight); there is one in the sales section. The barrel/shroud can be removed and a standard length barrel installed (if required).