Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single screw mounts and 12fpe springers

Single screw mounts and 12fpe springers

I have a sportsmatch one piece droop compensation mount that has only two screws for each ring. Normally I only buy double screw mounts, but this single screw item was the only medium height sportsmatch droop compensation mount available.

I bought it some time ago, but then had cold feet, and never used it.

However I now have a need to use it (I have an adjustable high mount but it's an ugly great lump of a thing) The mount may have only one screw on each side of a ring, but it is a solid a one piece item with an arrestor screw.

I want to put an old but much loved Bushnell Legend 5-15x40ao scope on it. Do you think it will hold OK?

I remember that the old Theoben gas rams which had punishing recoil for scopes only had single screw mounts on the welded base. And these were apparently made by sportsmatch.

Do any of you have scopes with single screw rings. Are they OK for our relatively low powered legal limit?
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 26-02-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Way back in the day (read 80's and 90's ) I used the SM low one piece with no issues on HW's, FWB Sports, BSA's etc and never had a problem, whenever I moved a rifle on, I simply removed the scope with mount

Mount never moved on rifle, scope didn't move in mount, though I put back insulation tape on bottom half of rings

Not sure what happened to mount, but scope is still in use on Spartan in steel Hilver low rings
    Last edited by MartynB; 26-02-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Thanks Martyn.

But how many screws were holding each ring? Two or four?
    Arthur

I have my mates hawke one here https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/adjustabl...11mm-high.html

Its two bolts on the straps but high only no medium or low . Its a 30mm one i have here.

Thanks mate, but it isn't those I'm asking about. I'm concerned with the rings.

Your pals scope has four screws to each ring. Mine has two. But it is bigger and heavier than the one in your picture, and has four bolts holding it to the dovetail. And an arrestor pin. The mount isn't going to move. But what are the chances of the scope moving in the mount?
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I have a sportsmatch one piece droop compensation mount that has only two screws for each ring. Normally I only buy double screw mounts, but this single screw item was the only medium height sportsmatch droop compensation mount available.

I bought it some time ago, but then had cold feet, and never used it.

However I now have a need to use it (I have an adjustable high mount but it's an ugly great lump of a thing) The mount may have only one screw on each side of a ring, but it is a solid a one piece item with an arrestor screw.

I want to put an old but much loved Bushnell Legend 5-15x40ao scope on it. Do you think it will hold OK?

I remember that the old Theoben gas rams which had punishing recoil for scopes only had single screw mounts on the welded base. And these were apparently made by sportsmatch.

Do any of you have scopes with single screw rings. Are they OK for our relatively low powered legal limit?
    Well you know how much recoil, or not, the rifle has, not us so you should be able to judge whether it requires something more substantial .

Thanks mate, but it isn't those I'm asking about. I'm concerned with the rings.

Your pals scope has four screws to each ring. Mine has two. But it is bigger and heavier than the one in your picture, and has four bolts holding it to the dovetail. And an arrestor pin. The mount isn't going to move. But what are the chances of the scope moving in the mount?
    He only used it on his S410 to solve the issue with his Yukon photon so there was little to no recoil there is a tape type lining in the hawke mount top and bottom of the rings .

I can't try it on the EVO as all my scopes are 1" and the mount is 30mm.

And my theoben evo only moved the scope and mounts but that because they are two piece. I have put an old lower mount behind the ring closest to my face to act as an arrestor . it seem to work for me .Not had the scope slip in the mounts yet and its a 3-9x40 silver antler tasco.
    Last edited by bighit; 26-02-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I have three Legends and all are on double screw SM's on a .177 HW 80 V-Glide, a .22 HW 77 V Mach and a .22 TX200.
    BUT
    I have an RB2 .22 A'sporter Stutzen and an RB2 .22 A'sporter Carbine with the SM set back OP12C mount, the one to suit Airsporters/Mercurys and the like.
    These mounts are single screw and are perfectly fine and Airsporters are not what I would call gentle on firing !
    I also have a pair of .22 Fenmens with the Theoben (SM) single screw mounts and they haven't moved a Gnats !

Must admit, the Legend 5-15x40AO is quite a long scope though.

You can but try it ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well you know how much recoil, or not, the rifle has, not us so you should be able to judge whether it requires something more substantial .
    Not much felt recoil. It's a HW99s in 22, so pretty smooth. But I've never used single screw rings before so I don't have a clue how they hold up. And recoil isn't the same as felt recoil. Or so I am told.

I'll know soon enough though, because I'm going to use it. If Sportsmatch make these kind of mounts I suppose they must work.
    Arthur

Providing the screws are at (or close) to the correct torque there's no reason why they wont hold just as well as 4 screw straps.
    I used 2 screw mounts for years to hold scopes on an HW35, Cometa 50 and HW77 without issue.

Single screw mounts and 12fpe springers

Not much felt recoil. It's a HW99s in 22, so pretty smooth. But I've never used single screw rings before so I don't have a clue how they hold up. And recoil isn't the same as felt recoil. Or so I am told.

I'll know soon enough though, because I'm going to use it. If Sportsmatch make these kind of mounts I suppose they must work.
    Never had a scope move in single strap rings yet, in fact i prefer them, less chance of pinching the scope body through overtightning.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Never had a scope move in single strap rings yet, in fact i prefer them, less chance of pinching the scope body through overtightning.
    Same here. Have used a fair few Sportsmatch low 1PMs with single ring screws and not had a problem.

Thanks very much for the reassurance.

And thanks to all of you who were prepared to help me.
    Arthur

Should be ok, Arthur - never had a problem using one of those mounts on an HW35...

Thanks Martyn.

But how many screws were holding each ring? Two or four?
    Just two, single strap, four hex bolts tolding mount rail clamp
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177