Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accurate PCP for HFT

Accurate PCP for HFT

Looking for my 1st PCP in .177 for mainly HFT type shooting, and occasional hunting. I don’t want a full on FT style rifle.

I am particularly interested in extreme accuracy, what would your recommendation be?

You can't go wrong with an Air Arms S400.
    Single shot so perfect for HFT and accurate enough to compete with the best.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Triple G View Post
    Looking for my 1st PCP in .177 for mainly HFT type shooting, and occasional hunting. I don’t want a full on FT style rifle.

I am particularly interested in extreme accuracy, what would your recommendation be?
    Any gun from the top five will do. HFT has little to do with the gun and a lot with the shooter. I also endorse the S400 as the most cost effective gun, way more accurate than you'd need. A simple 3x9X 40 with PX adjustment, half mildot scope is also all you need to go on top of it. No need for all the fancy and unnecessary FT type bling.

A.G

Compatto Target is an awesome rifle that I use for HFT and hunting, couldn’t be any happier with it!
    Arte et marte.
    Brocock Compatto Target .177 - Hawke Airmax 3-12x50SF
    BSA R10se BP laminate .177 - Hawke Sidewinder 10x42SF

Lovely HFT500 literally just gone up for sale in the for sale section, nice and cheap too....
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Not many can out shoot the s400 or ultra esspecially if you find a regged one

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

I would agree regarding the S400, but if you can stretch to a BSA Gold Star SE you will get a much better trigger, an adjustable stock and a regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    HFT has little to do with the gun and a lot with the shooter.
    I can't really think of an air rifle target sport that isn't very little to do with the gun and everything to do with the shooter.

Virtually every decent air rifle for sale, with a reasonable trigger, will need you to find the right pellet, and right batch of pellets, for that rifle/barrel. When you've done that it will be capable of clearing a HFT course.

You will miss HFT targets because, you have poor technique, you are hopeless at range estimation, and more than anything else ... because of the wind.

The top of the range guns just tighten groups by a fraction and that won't matter if the wind is drifting your pellet 4 inches and you can't judge wind, or you pull shots off with poor technique.

The only thing you need to concern yourself with whether it's accurate or not ... is you.

Guns don't miss targets ... People do.

If this is your first PCP and your first entry into the world of HFT I'll give the same advice as I always do ... buy your first one second hand. The chances are that you will be swapping rifles within that first year, as you find the one that suits you best. If you buy new ... you will lose when you sell. If you buy a popular rifle at the right price second hand, and it doesn't suit you then you will sell it for little loss. The other great benefit of buying second hand in the target market, is that if you get the rifle from a reputable seller ( known on the target scene ) then it will probably be better than new ( as it will have little jobs that probably need doing from new already sorted ). The other massive advantage is that, if the seller is a decent target lad, then the right type/batch of pellet will already be known for that rifle. So you can just start shooting straight away without the heart breaking task of spending a fortune finding what pellet shoots well in that rifle/barrel. Seriously, that can take a while and a lot of cash.

It's a bit of a trek ... unless you can sort postage ... but ... I would seriously consider the HFT500 from Craig-P. He will have been over critical with any negative comments. The rifle will shoot well. He can tell you the pellets that suit that rifle best. He's as honest as the day is long. It's at a bargain price. If you don't go well with it you will sell it on for that money so you won't lose anything.
    Last edited by bozzer; 25-02-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Good allaround advice from Bozzer.

A.G

Another option is a BSA Scorpion with an aftermarket reg fitted, it takes it to as good as or better than the BSA Goldstar unless you want an adjustable stock and hamster, but then again you can always customise a Scorpion stock, there are kits for hasmsters and people who will make your cheekpiece adjustable.
    No matter what gun you get you need to find the pellet that suits the barrel and then you need to find a sight that suits you and a stock set-up that gives you the consistent eye position you need, then it's simple!
    When the gun is doing sub 1/2" groups at 45 yards it's all down to the shooter. There are many guns that will do this...
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    I can't really think of an air rifle target sport that isn't very little to do with the gun and everything to do with the shooter.

Virtually every decent air rifle for sale, with a reasonable trigger, will need you to find the right pellet, and right batch of pellets, for that rifle/barrel. When you've done that it will be capable of clearing a HFT course.

You will miss HFT targets because, you have poor technique, you are hopeless at range estimation, and more than anything else ... because of the wind.

The top of the range guns just tighten groups by a fraction and that won't matter if the wind is drifting your pellet 4 inches and you can't judge wind, or you pull shots off with poor technique.

The only thing you need to concern yourself with whether it's accurate or not ... is you.

Guns don't miss targets ... People do.

If this is your first PCP and your first entry into the world of HFT I'll give the same advice as I always do ... buy your first one second hand. The chances are that you will be swapping rifles within that first year, as you find the one that suits you best. If you buy new ... you will lose when you sell. If you buy a popular rifle at the right price second hand, and it doesn't suit you then you will sell it for little loss. The other great benefit of buying second hand in the target market, is that if you get the rifle from a reputable seller ( known on the target scene ) then it will probably be better than new ( as it will have little jobs that probably need doing from new already sorted ). The other massive advantage is that, if the seller is a decent target lad, then the right type/batch of pellet will already be known for that rifle. So you can just start shooting straight away without the heart breaking task of spending a fortune finding what pellet shoots well in that rifle/barrel. Seriously, that can take a while and a lot of cash.

It's a bit of a trek ... unless you can sort postage ... but ... I would seriously consider the HFT500 from Craig-P. He will have been over critical with any negative comments. The rifle will shoot well. He can tell you the pellets that suit that rifle best. He's as honest as the day is long. It's at a bargain price. If you don't go well with it you will sell it on for that money so you won't lose anything.
    Perfect advice from Col.
    And thanks for the kind remarks, mate (cheques in the post)

Another thumbs up for Craig from me...top bloke and you won't go wrong with dealing with him.

I would say that it does depend on the budget. Don't forget that if you're using a single rifle for hunting and HFT you'll need a single shot adaptor (if it's got a mag) or you'll need to remove the mag between lanes on a HFT course...you will soon get fed up of that

My personal choices would be..
    Lower end - s400 series or a bit more on MPR (FT)
    Mid - HFT 500 or a HW100
    Top - Steyr or Anschutz 9015 (if it's sorted for the temp shift)

Are you a member of a club?...Northern Monkeys maybe?

If not and you fancy a drive down to Emley Moor one weekend i can arrange for quite a few rifles for you to try. Shouldering in a gunshop is ok but just not the same as shooting a few dozen through each one on the zero range.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Thank you for all of your suggestions and advice.

Although I’ve shot rifles for over 30 years, I’ve had virtually nothing to do with air rifles, so appreciate your help and guidance.

Once I’ve got a rifle and become familiar with it, I hope to meet some of you at the shoots. In the meantime, please bear with my questions

Keep asking mate.

Once you've a rifle the offer to come to the club is still there. We normally have a full HFT and FT course out.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Another thumbs up for Craig from me...top bloke and you won't go wrong with dealing with him.

I would say that it does depend on the budget. Don't forget that if you're using a single rifle for hunting and HFT you'll need a single shot adaptor (if it's got a mag) or you'll need to remove the mag between lanes on a HFT course...you will soon get fed up of that

My personal choices would be..
    Lower end - s400 series or a bit more on MPR (FT)
    Mid - HFT 500 or a HW100
    Top - Steyr or Anschutz 9015 (if it's sorted for the temp shift)

Are you a member of a club?...Northern Monkeys maybe?

If not and you fancy a drive down to Emley Moor one weekend i can arrange for quite a few rifles for you to try. Shouldering in a gunshop is ok but just not the same as shooting a few dozen through each one on the zero range.
    Chris, thanks for the kindness words mate. Appreciated.
    All the best, Craig