Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about a BSA PCP

Question about a BSA PCP

In a thread about Bowkett tuned BSA meteors over at the pigeon watch forum, there is a picture of a BSA PCP that I have never seen before.
    It looks like a ling barreled Ultra, with a stock that resembles the Supersport.
    I hope I am not breaking nay forum rules by linking to another forum:
    https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/for...tt-bsa-meteor/

Does anyone know which model this is??

Early Hornet, perhaps?

aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Early Hornet, perhaps?
    I reckon so.

Thanks! To me those older clean line designs are much more appealing than all those new stock designs.

A little more googling has found the answer, its the BSA Techstar.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    A little more googling has found the answer, its the BSA Techstar.
    That looks identical to my BSA Hornet, which JB FAC’d for me about 13 years ago and serviced for me again in 2017 when it developed a leak.

When I went up to collect it from him when he FAC’d it he showed me the next version he was then working on for BSA, which I believe was the Scorpion.

Norm
    Last edited by Mr.Fixit-Norm; 01-03-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Louis, the owner, is a member here too.

As someone else said, nice looking gun
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Tis a nice looker, shame about the MMC thing.
    You can clearly see the heritage of the Scorpion in it.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Tis a nice looker, shame about the MMC thing.
    You can clearly see the heritage of the Scorpion in it.
    The cocking mechanism of the Hornet is a bit of marmite thing, it took a while to get used to it but it doesn’t give me any issues at all. One thing is when hunting with it is that you move less when reloading and cocking it, i find I can reload and cock it whilst still looking through the scope, not sure how easy that is with a bolt action multi shot as I don’t have one.

Funny thing is, when I went to buy my first proper pcp I whittled the choice at my local gun shop down to 3 choices. It was between the Hornet, an AA410 and if I remember a gunpowder stealth (?) ( it was the one where the bottle forms the stock and you cock it by pulling the whole fore end backwards )

Anyway, I didn’t like the stealth at all and the AA410 seem to have a really graunchy bolt ; so the Hornet won. I’ve always been really pleased with it, it’s very accurate both at 12ftlbs and also FAC’d at 23ftlbs

Norm

I get on OK with the mmc on my Hornet, a very good and reliable rifle imo.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I get on OK with the mmc on my Hornet, a very good and reliable rifle imo.
    Les..
    I’d second that, and an excellent service from JB too. When mine developed a slight but noticeable power drop I suspected something might be wrong internally so I gave John a ring and arranged to get it back to him via an RFD.

He sent it back with a note saying he’d totally replaced the original valve system he put in with a newer better design and serviced it as well - all for free , having spoken to him on the phone to thank him he wouldn’t except any money for the work so I sent him a nice bottle of scotch as a thankyou.

Mine also has a custom stock made by me with a tyrolean cheek piece and it’s fitted with an older model Nikko Sterling 6-24 AO scope that’s Hydrographic dipped in real tree camo + a custom made Uk-Neil silencer/airstripper. I’ve also made it power adjustable

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Mine also has a custom stock made by me with a tyrolean cheek piece and it’s fitted with an older model Nikko Sterling 6-24 AO scope that’s Hydrographic dipped in real tree camo + a custom made Uk-Neil silencer/airstripper. I’ve also made it power adjustable

Norm
    Pics please Norm, make us all jealous
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Pics please Norm, make us all jealous
    Not sure about jealous but here it is . I made the stock about 10 years ago as I didn’t feel the std one fitted me. I wanted the tyrolean style rather than a rolled over cheek piece as I felt it was more natural and comfortable.

Never having made a stock before I didn’t want to risk using an expensive piece of wood so I decided to get a piece of 1/2” weather bonded ply from a local DIY shop . I cut it into 4 equal pieces and using a waterproof wood glue and some old car batteries for weight, turned it into a piece 2” x 30” x 10”

I then used a combination of a router to inlet the action and chisels and a powerfile to carve the rest of the stock. It’s been given a coat of Ronseal Indian rosewood stain followed by a couple of coats of clear varnish with a wire wool rub down between coats.
    The green card on the LHS is a laminated range/mildot/clicks cheat sheet which is on Velcro and it also has a custom made scope turret top for the clicks ( the scope is a mildot )

UK-Neil made a couple of versions of his stripper/silencer with me testing them at 25yrds and 50yrds with a laboratory quality decibel meter on an indoor range, before we found the quietest one with the best accuracy.

A good friend of mine ( he’s on here ) had a go with it in a meadow on our original permission, on a very still summers day. He was sitting on a bean bag with out using a rest or bipod and he shot a 1/2” five shot group at 80yrds and a 1” group at 100yrds
    There was a large black slug crawling up the big cardboard target at the end on the 100yrd target and he cut it in half with the last pellet in the magazine !

It looks much better in real life than it does in a picture - honestly

It might not be to everyone’s taste but it fits me and works really well !

Last edited by Mr.Fixit-Norm; 03-03-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Pics not displying just a no entry sign