Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accurate PCP for HFT

You could not wish to start out at a better place for some outdoor competition shooting than with Chris and his clubmates up at Emley Moor. Probably my favourite outdoor venue. You will also find examples of all the in contention rifles up there as well for you to try.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Triple G View Post
    Looking for my 1st PCP in .177 for mainly HFT type shooting, and occasional hunting. I don’t want a full on FT style rifle.

I am particularly interested in extreme accuracy, what would your recommendation be?
    You're more than welcome to pop along to the Northern Monkey hft shoots we have on once a month and try a variety of different rifles if you fancy a run down the A19?
    We have allsorts of pcp shooters there from the Steyr lads, 9015 owners, regular shooters with standard rifles.
    Personally for extreme accuracy on a budget I'd say a nice little under rated S200. There's allways people using those at our shoot.
    Drop me a P.M. if you'd like more information, or visit our group page on that social media book. Our next shoot is March 18th and safety aside it's a nice laid back affair

Quote Originally Posted by pumpygun View Post
    You're more than welcome to pop along to the Northern Monkey hft shoots we have on once a month and try a variety of different rifles if you fancy a run down the A19?
    We have allsorts of pcp shooters there from the Steyr lads, 9015 owners, regular shooters with standard rifles.
    Personally for extreme accuracy on a budget I'd say a nice little under rated S200. There's allways people using those at our shoot.
    Drop me a P.M. if you'd like more information, or visit our group page on that social media book. Our next shoot is March 18th and safety aside it's a nice laid back affair
    Nice one. thumbs up
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Hi
    To be fair most of the post have said everything, but nice 1st if you can get hold of one is the AA MPR or AA HFT 500 , great to start with, just started the Target shooting myself and once you get the big will take over.
    All the best
    Tony
    [=Craig-P;7446258]Chris, thanks for the kindness words mate. Appreciated.
    All the best, Craig[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    You can't go wrong with an Air Arms S400.
    Single shot so perfect for HFT and accurate enough to compete with the best.
    Cheers, Phil
    Great but the OP has specified he wants it for hunting too so a multi shot with a single shot adapter is a better option.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

You need a rifle that fits .... obvious it would seem but HFT puts demands on position and you are sometimes forced into positions that make fit and handling a game changer.

The AA S4*0 series are a decent choice but if you want a hunter then a mag system will be angood choice. For the HFT use a single shot adapter.

Balance and handling of the rifle are important and until you start handling rifles, you aint gonna know what is a glove and what is a straight jacket.

To be frank, the rifle at starting point isnt your main issue although a good rifle sure will help. Its more about learning techniques such as range finding... reading the wind and what to use to help you read it. Positions need practice. Prone, kneeling, standing, leaning, forced crouches and often overlooked, being able to shoot the rifle in the opposite hand as sometimes, what is a bitch to shoot RH is easy to shoot LH or visa versa. So ambi stocks can be a boon.

Watch the good shots. See how they approach a lane and what positions they adopt. Look ahead of the line and see how the shots before you are dealing with it. The tendancy is to go prone for every shot and that isnt necessarily the best shot.

ASK people for hints and tips and most may let you shoot their rifle to try. This us really usefull for future choices of rifle and particularly of optics.

Dont forget you want to hunt so a rifle that is a sorted HFT gun will usually make angood hunter too. But a mag is a terrific plus. Lots of game has fallen to single shot rifles but a quick back up is a good thing so if you go for a single shot, learn how to speed load. You may need it one day.

Optics are equally as important as the rifle so dont skimp and try them. Remember that a scope with a fussy eye position can be a pain but..... it can also help you ensure your eye is in alignment..... its a balance.

Club and events allow you to learn fast. Just pick your advisers well and ID the knowledge from the bullshitters

All well and good lads but this thread is two years old...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Maybe he can give us some tips now then !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    No wonder I cant find that HFT 500 in the sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Maybe he can give us some tips now then !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr dink View Post
    No wonder I cant find that HFT 500 in the sales.
    I actually went to meet the poor guy but I got stuck in snow in a country lane. RAC were at capacity and I sat there for nearly three hours, freezing. A local resident happened to notice me and pulled me out in his Land Rover. Straight up.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I use my hw100kt for hft and hunting,stock is abit limiting for hft but magazines are great,the single shot adaptor works well and 50 shots per fill is plenty for an hft course

Would always go with hw100