Thread: Mysterious Rifles - Who Let The Dogs Out?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Mysterious Rifles - Who Let The Dogs Out?

Protek Supplies often have qurky rifles, but these two are completely new to me.

Check out the so-called 'Mauser 300' FEG/Relum 'target rifle' and the 'Jolly 95' Indian handmade copy of an Original Diana. Never seen either of those rifles before, anyone got a clue?

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/clas...1940-1984.html

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I have a mauser 300, one of the quirkiest stocks I've seen. It has a bit of a dog leg right at the back. Terrible to shoot so assume the relum bit to be correct.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    I have a mauser 300, one of the quirkiest stocks I've seen. It has a bit of a dog leg right at the back. Terrible to shoot so assume the relum bit to be correct.

Dave
    Dave, does yours have diopter sights? Seems so weird attaching that slabby match stock to the mighty FEG and then leaving the aspiring paper-puncher to the imprecision of the open sights...

Urgh, they are all over the interweb!

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2016...-rifle-part-3/

The in-depth Part 1 test shows the appalling dog's leg buttplate you refer to.

It looks like a poor design was made even worse by putting it in an expensive stock and then selling it as a target gun. Did the Germans learn nothing from Webley's Osprey Supertarget?
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 04-03-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Out here,'jobbers' from time to time,imported

so-called 'eastern bloc guns.Cheap as chips(deriv.UK) Here today,gone tomorrow-the importer would hope!

The "Mauser" 300SL dates from the early 90s period when Umarex, I think, bought or licensed various prestigious trade marks. They at the same time re-purposed Diana model 30 4.4mm ball-firer repeaters as "Mausers" - which were advertised here as hunting rifles by unscrupulous vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The "Mauser" 300SL dates from the early 90s period when Umarex, I think, bought or licensed various prestigious trade marks. They at the same time re-purposed Diana model 30 4.4mm ball-firer repeaters as "Mausers" - which were advertised here as hunting rifles by unscrupulous vendors.
    Ah, it's one of Umarxtein's Monsters.

The fair-ground Mauser BB guns were possibly the lowest-power hunters ever advertised, give or take a Webley Tempest pistol or two.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Dave, does yours have diopter sightst?
    From memory, it's had a lengthy sabbatical awaiting a stock refinish, it has a peep sight at the rear and a conventional blade foresight. Works surprisingly well.

Still shoots like a dog though.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    From memory, it's had a lengthy sabbatical awaiting a stock refinish, it has a peep sight at the rear and a conventional blade foresight. Works surprisingly well.

Still shoots like a dog though.

Dave
    Well, a time-honored 'improvement' for the Relum is to junk the inner spring and replace the outer with a Meteor one, and fit a floating spring guide. That should reduce the twang and vibration and give a nicer cycle. With the lower power requirement you can cut some coils and make it nice and soft-shooting.

The groups on the 'Pelletier' test are dismal, although that blogger is not the best shot and has a tendency to over-lube his guns will all kinds of hogfat.

Diana/Mauser mod 30R.

Hi I have one of those hybrid Mauser rifles, this time a Diana/Mauser. It's a 4.4mm lead ball firing, bolt action full size rifle. Very heavily engineered and quite a big heavy gun. I think originally produced for galleries or fairgrounds as it has resetable shot counters built into the stock. Another hint to the fairground is, the nice quality open sights have additional locking screws. So would be marksmen could not adjust the sights. And a miss could be pretty much guaranteed. Also has a very neat filling device to load the lead balls. Mine was also from Protek Supplies and was also used at the Swiss shooting club they mention in the ad. John.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!