Thread: Moderator shaving pellets

Moderator shaving pellets

Just got a new rifle, & accuracy was poor, took off the mod & its doing 5p size groups, any suggestions, i have little or no knowledge of mods.

Rob

What rifle is it? Some moderators are calibre specific, trying to shoot a .22 through a .177 won't work Rog

Thanks for the reply, its an 80k in 25, with a 25 mod

If the thread on either muzzle or moderator is out of true then the bore is not going to be true, & the pellets will clip.

Are they both NEW, new ? or new to you 2nd hand If brand spanking new or bought used as a pair from a shop then I'd contact the shop for them to sort at their expense, trying a different mod on that rifle or that mod on a different rifle should tell you which is at fault.

If you can't do that then a washer or shim between the faces will change the angle & that sometimes cures the clipping but not always.

If the mod was bought used it's possible someone has fitted smaller washers to try & improve it, or the internals might be badly fitted.

Thanks, rifle is used, but has been fitted with a new barrel & mod, i will take it up with the gunsmith who did the work, there won't be any issues he's good bloke, but just thought there might be a quick fix i could.

Regards,

Rob

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    easy on a break barrel to see - just remove the barrel and look through the barrel, from breach to muzzle. you will see if the bore through the mod is off centre - but easiest in good light. Easiest way to fit after correcing and simple misalignment flaws in to spin up the barrel with mode fitted in a lathe, and just bore a fraction out through the mod.. assuming of course the bore is co-encentric. Or just open out the mod - springers don;t need such tight clearances as PCPs - opening it out to 8 or 9mm through the mod will be just fine.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Thanks, rifle is used, but has been fitted with a new barrel & mod, i will take it up with the gunsmith who did the work, there won't be any issues he's good bloke, but just thought there might be a quick fix i could.

Regards,

Rob
    Make sure it is a .25 specific mod, I have used a normal HW mod on my .25 Rapid but it's a tight fit for the pellet,
    Assuming it's a HW mod it's a 7mm hex key hole at the front & .25 is 6.35mm, I'm guessing the .25 mod needs an 8mm hex key.

Not sure of the make of the mod.

Removed the baffle & that was the cause of the issue, gunsmith has already told me to send the baffle back & he will supply another.

Thanks for the advice.

Rob

What type of baffle ? most airgun mod's use "hair-curlers & washers" I wonder if it's a SAK with a metal insert.

Not sure how to describe it, but its 60mm long plastic & solid other than 24 holes in it.

Rob