Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Inaccurate Rifle

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Very Inaccurate Rifle

Took the old Crosman Model 70 to the range and tried a period Nikko Stirling 6x32 on it.

Off a bench, at ten yards it got 10 shots into a 4 x 5 inch 'group'. Verily, tis like a cylinder-bore 0.410 shotgun.

This is the worst accuracy of any air-rifle I have ever owned, on a par with the worst air-pistol I have ever owned.

The trigger is abomination, granted, but this is a fixed-barrel, recoilless CO2 bolt-gun with a rifled barrel. Whatever can be going wrong? I am going to try a different scope on it and see if that is the problem, but once that is eliminated, what can be going on? Do these things shave pellets?

I was expecting 1" groups at 10 yards, but this is ridiculous.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Use it as a fence post.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have just put a nice Leupold scope in sales, I'll bet that'd improve it!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Took the old Crosman Model 70 to the range and tried a period Nikko Stirling 6x32 on it.

Off a bench, at ten yards it got 10 shots into a 4 x 5 inch 'group'. Verily, tis like a cylinder-bore 0.410 shotgun.

This is the worst accuracy of any air-rifle I have ever owned, on a par with the worst air-pistol I have ever owned.

The trigger is abomination, granted, but this is a fixed-barrel, recoilless CO2 bolt-gun with a rifled barrel. Whatever can be going wrong? I am going to try a different scope on it and see if that is the problem, but once that is eliminated, what can be going on? Do these things shave pellets?

I was expecting 1" groups at 10 yards, but this is ridiculous.

Has the barrel been shortened ? Is the muzzle crown good?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Its unmodified, the crown is recessed inside the plastic outer barrel. Will have a lookski...

Period scope
    Does it still work ?

wondering what is that pistol you were talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by thor123 View Post
    wondering what is that pistol you were talking about?
    Mondial Zip .177 pistol, Italian monkey-metal thing. Using hand-cast LEM Spitzer bullets it was incapable of hitting a 2 litre Cola bottle at 6 yards. With the usual 'Marksman' pellets it was a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post
    Period scope
    Does it still work ?
    I'm going to swap it out for a modern one.

I have no experience with this particular model, Al.

But, a couple of thoughts:-

Firstly, as mentioned, some often say that Crosman barrel crowning can be very variable.

Secondly, I'm wondering if the barrel is "fixed" at the breech end with the flimsy grub screw arrangement, as per the 766/2100 rifles and whether this has worked loose?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Was going to mention crown also. Have you cleaned the bore? Someone may have been shooting silly plastic pellets through it, or there might be damage to the rifling.
    Good deals with these members

Push a pellet through it slowly with ansoft metal or plastic rod and look for loose or tight spots being especially mindful of the transit through the barrel crown.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I have no experience with this particular model, Al.

But, a couple of thoughts:-

Firstly, as mentioned, some often say that Crosman barrel crowning can be very variable.

Secondly, I'm wondering if the barrel is "fixed" at the breech end with the flimsy grub screw arrangement, as per the 766/2100 rifles and whether this has worked loose?
    It's a reet weird contraption with the 'straw' barrel cast inside a plastic liner. It was made to look like the Winchester Model 70 so it is the full 'Hemingway' but it shoots shite.

I will try the pushing the pellet through idea, nice one. Might not be able to get to the crown as it is recessed.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    try using pellets of the correct calibre...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hmm something very wrong, I had one of these (great little gun, a bigger all steel PCP on these lines would be a winner)

Mine was as accurate as anything else at 25 yards after which it runs out of puff.

Scope, seals, crown in that order..... definately a problem.

Do you still need the 35 stock as I've found it?

If so fire me an email.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.