Thread: Webley longbow barrel issue

Webley longbow barrel issue

I picked up a early Turk longbow se today date of manufacture is 0707 and I was over the moon at first due to the condition been better than expected...

The mood soon changed as soon as I noticed the riffling looked like one of the Turkish workers chiseled it out with his teeth!

I was under the impression that they all used lothar Walther barrels? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Webley longbow barrel issue

you could try polishing the bore with solvol autosol & a pull through. worked for me in a chinese pcp with bad accuracy.

It's was too bad for that it honestly looks like someone has tried to rifle the bore themselves, the lands are about .25 mm wide and the same deep and not uniform really does look a mess.

The pellets have nothing to grip and don't turn in the bore so it's basically a rough smooth bore.

Have you shot it to see if it will hold a group. Failing that it appears a new barrel is in order.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Maybe an obvious thought, do the high quality barrels from the UK made longbows fiit Turk ones?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    one option is to drill it out and put in a barrel liner. The job itself is pretty easy, it's just finding a liner economically...

AS above though, I'd try polishing the bore first - I've had plenty of rough looking bores that have acheived more than accpetable levels of accuracy following this kind of treatment.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The barrel liner solution does sound like a viable option as for polishing the bore I will try get a pic of the inside of the bore it's not like anything I've ever seen it's so bad.

It's not like a badly made barrel it's like the button the used was absolutely wrecked.

Barrels

Are just stuck in with loctite and come out with very little heat

I have 2 barrels here that I have removed from the breech block, both .22 L W from Burning made Longnows .
    They would need re blacking though I might be able to sort that
    Jonny

That sounds like a plan does that mate how much would you be after and also is there no pin holding them in the block? I can't find one on mine.

No

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    That sounds like a plan does that mate how much would you be after and also is there no pin holding them in the block? I can't find one on mine.
    Just loctited in , can polish one up ready for blacking for £20.00 posted if your serious about changing , if your not then I would rather keep it , if that makes sense .
    Jommy

That would be great thanks please PM me details.