Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch rifling change

Weihrauch rifling change

After buying a duff longbow se the other day I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for a new hw99s in .177 as I think it's about time I give one a go and I'm happy I did.

Anyway I rodded a pellet down the bore to check for tight spots/loose muzzle and shot some into a rag and noticed the marks left behind by the lands are very thin compared to my older hw's and look more like lothar Walther has anyone noticed this as it looks like they could have updated there rifling process.

just wondering how the pellet whent down the barrel with a push , as iv got a inaccurate hw99 , think its a bad barrel .mine was tight at the breach then ok the tight at the crown
    atb john
    ATB JOHN
    hw 100, hw80 mk1, smk xs20, bsa scorpion pistol, feinwerkbau 127, hw99s

Hw99

You have a barrel that is suffering from breech pinch, where in effect you have a double choked barrel at both ends. This is down to the very soft steel used for the barrels and should be checked for prior to purchase.
    Please note this applies to any HW or Webley Patriot, I have found this not to be a problem with Tomahawks or Longbows
    I should add that this problem goes back to about 1990 or so, if your barrel suffers from this it's a case of lapping out the breech or a new barrel without said fault.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    You have a barrel that is suffering from breech pinch, where in effect you have a double choked barrel at both ends. This is down to the very soft steel used for the barrels and should be checked for prior to purchase.
    Please note this applies to any HW or Webley Patriot, I have found this not to be a problem with Tomahawks or Longbows
    I should add that this problem goes back to about 1990 or so, if your barrel suffers from this it's a case of lapping out the breech or a new barrel without said fault.
    BSAs can have this problem too (in .177)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

thanks for the info lad`s ,thought it might be something like that . iv bought a 5.2mm reamer to reamer the breach out a little [do u think ill get away with 5.2mm at the breach ?] and I will lash the barrel out with melted lead / grinding paste then a good clean
    ATB JOHN

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by gibboj View Post
    thanks for the info lad`s ,thought it might be something like that . iv bought a 5.2mm reamer to reamer the breach out a little [do u think ill get away with 5.2mm at the breach ?] and I will lash the barrel out with melted lead / grinding paste then a good clean
    go easy.. too much lead in robs power. also depends how far in the "choke" is...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Arrow

Hi this barrel has a slight restriction at the breech but I find that every weihrauch I've owned does,
    it still requires you to push the pellet through the bore with a slight restriction untill the choke which seems fairly tight.

I think with the even and clean rifling marks and decent choke this will rifle will be a tack driver.
    Last edited by mattyw1987; 27-02-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Weihrauch rifling change

Theres only one way to find out, shoot it!

Yep weekend can't come fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    BSAs can have this problem too (in .177)
    I've got this in a 22 XL Lightning, which I think dates back to mid 2000's, the receipt turned up recently I think it was about 2006, I swapped it for a 2nd hand barrel off a Mercury - much older, so I've got a Supersport now, an accurate Supersport which is the object of the exercise really

I'm no engineer but I'd have said a reamer was too much in this circumstance.. if it were me I'd polish it out with port grinding paste & a set of incrementally sized brass rods in the end of a battery drill. Bit like you would polish cylinders on a car. It may take some time but a safer way I'd have thought?
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I'm no engineer but I'd have said a reamer was too much in this circumstance.. if it were me I'd polish it out with port grinding paste & a set of incrementally sized brass rods in the end of a battery drill. Bit like you would polish cylinders on a car. It may take some time but a safer way I'd have thought?
    Rhys
    Err....

Its new its under warranty, take it back and get another

Either of these options will ruin the barrel.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

the 99 never shoot good at 20 yrd new [ barrel should have gone back really, but choose to make a IMP instead . chopped the barrel to make it into a IMP ] all jobs done right / good ,done all these jobs before with no issues . got to try something with this barrel, as its rubbish as it is now , nothing to loose at this stage:
    ATB JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Either of these options will ruin the barrel.
    Why's that then? Not being funny just wish to learn
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

the 99 never shoot good at 20 yrd new [ barrel should have gone back really, but choose to make a IMP instead . chopped the barrel to make it into a IMP ] all jobs done right / good ,done all these jobs before with no issues . got to try something with this barrel, as its rubbish as it is now , nothing to loose at this stage:

If you chopped the choke of and left the restriction at the breech it has no chance of shooting well, the only way would be to lap the restriction out using a barrel cleaning brass rod with spinning handle and then cast a lead lap at the muzzle on the end of the rod apply grinding paste and work the tight area until it is the same size as the rest of the bore.

I've lapped a couple like this and it worked a treat but it did take a evening to do I used diamond polishing paste in different grades bud.