Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended scopes like the Simmons 1.5-5x20

Quote Originally Posted by Nivapilot View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't get a scope below a 40mm object lens, 20mm just doesnt let enough light in...I have recently bought the 3-12X40 by Atom, bought from Amazon for £50, and I absolutly love it.
    Welcome

Look through a Simmons 1.5-5x20 ... You'll be surprised at the brightness.

I've managed to snag a Simmons wtc 1.5-5x20 I've read nothing but good things about these scopes so really looking forward to giving it a try.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

With apologies to the OP and others I would just like to make a few points clear. The ' light gathering ' ability of a classic optical instrument such as a scope is only a function of its aperture. The magnification determines the exit pupil which illuminates the light recpticles of the human eye and for all intents and purposes and exit pupil of 7 mm is optimal which fully illuminates the recpticles.
    A scope of 5X26 mm will have a theoretical exit pupil of 26/5= 5.2 mm, in the case of an 8X56mm scope it will be 56/5=7mm which is optimal. What we sometimes mistakenly refer to as light gathering is actually the transmisiblity of the scope or its light transmition factor. Manufacturers do not publish this figure but I would hazard a guess that in the case of cheap high zoom ratio scopes this is around 70% mark. The more elements the scope has the more light is lost through scatter and in order to minimise light loss highly polished lenses with exotic glass and sophisticated coatings (on all light receiving surfaces and not just the front element ) are required which means caughing up a lot of money .
    I am sure that you have heard that in order to judge the performance of a scope it should be tested in very challenging lighting conditions and here mega box scopes score high because they transmit more of the gathered light. Scopes with small apertures also scatter less light and have greater apparent depth of field which gives the impression that they are bright and sharp. This may not be the case in reality but the impression is there. Just wanted to make matters a little more clear.

Regards,

A.G

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Glad you got sorted, all the "Whitetails" performed well particularly for hunting. Another that tends to get overlooked is the 4x40WA, lightweight, very bright with a wide viewing disc and dont be put off by the 4x mag. There's enough there for moderate ranges.
    “An airgun or two”………

Great thread

Great info here. I'm looking to get a scope for hunting with a .22 air rifle. I've been reading about SFP and FFP scopes but it seems a minefield of information in realtion to whats been talked about and the many different reticules. Where can I go to read/find out about scopes in general, im more than happy to learn!

Ideally i'm looking for a small scope with side focus, but the different reticules etc make this tricky to determine the best one. All the scopes I've had recently have been mil dot reticules, but am I best looking at something else?

Regards,
    Pete

As an aside do any of you fine peeps know what height mounts to purchase to keep the scope nice and low to the rifle please? I'd like High quality mounts. Thank you.
    Last edited by hedgemumper; 28-02-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Recommended scopes like the Simmons 1.5-5x20

Quote Originally Posted by hedgemumper View Post
    As an aside do any of you fine peeps know what height mounts to purchase to keep the scope nice and low to the rifle please? I'd like Burris or Leupold quality mounts. Thank you.
    Low or medium sportsmatch or bkls would do fine thats what my 3 little whitetails are mounted with. depends on the hight of your stocks cheekpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by little duck View Post
    Great info here. I'm looking to get a scope for hunting with a .22 air rifle. I've been reading about SFP and FFP scopes but it seems a minefield of information in realtion to whats been talked about and the many different reticules. Where can I go to read/find out about scopes in general, im more than happy to learn!

Ideally i'm looking for a small scope with side focus, but the different reticules etc make this tricky to determine the best one. All the scopes I've had recently have been mil dot reticules, but am I best looking at something else?

Regards,
    Pete
    Witha sub 12 ft .lbs .22 the trajectory more or less dictates the type of scope or more importantly the reticule you will require. A .22 UK spec air rifle @ 11.4 ft.lbs firing the typical JSB Diabolo design pellets with a 3x12x Y half mildot scope and zeroed at 23 yards ( this is the optimal Zero range for a rifle of such spec but you could zero between 25 and 35 depending on the your style of hunting ) will cover up to 60 yards @ 10X . I should imagine this is plenty far enough for most hunters. FFP is very useful for hunting as the reticule is true for a 10X calibartion and once your aimpoints are determined you could alter the Mag as you wished and no adjustments to the aimpoints or turrets will be neccessary with the caveat that at less than 6X the reticule appears very small. I have an MTC/Optisan EVX F1 FFP which is a pretty decent scope for the money with a useful extended mildot type reticule. FFP scopes are not cheap but for long range target shooting an dhunting at 8X+ they justify the asking price.
    If you come across an old Hawke SR12 reticule, have a good think as this reticule was designed for sub 12 .22 air guns.

A.G

Simmons WTF are dammed good scopes do not go near the BSA jobs they are China made and crap. Also try and avoid the Bay most scopes a knock offs.

1.5-6x24 Nikko mre , 30mm, cracking scopes if you can find one, though there was one on here recently. I have two, one with a duplex reticle as well as the red multi reticle and one that is just the red multi. I prefer them to a small wtc any day, was disappointed with mine. The Nikko is easy to adjust parallax for airgunshow ranges. Used mine for hunting in all lighting including at night.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    1.5-6x24 Nikko mre , 30mm, cracking scopes if you can find one, though there was one on here recently. I have two, one with a duplex reticle as well as the red multi reticle and one that is just the red multi. I prefer them to a small wtc any day, was disappointed with mine. The Nikko is easy to adjust parallax for airgunshow ranges. Used mine for hunting in all lighting including at night.
    The nikko's a good scope, but twice as heavy as the whitetail & I bet it dosn't stand up to knocks as well,i have a illuminated multi ret one on my hornet, if someone could add a red dot illuminated ret to a whitetail I'd prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    Simmons WTF are dammed good scopes do not go near the BSA jobs they are China made and crap. Also try and avoid the Bay most scopes a knock offs.
    What makes you think Simmons aren't made in China?

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    What makes you think Simmons aren't made in China?
    Yes, now they are but the whitetails were phillipenes made.I couldn't care less where they're made they are the best little hunting scope for the money you can buy imho.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Hmm very interesting, i like the sound of that. What would be the going rate for one if I was to put up a wanted ad? Will it stand up to springer recoil is my main concern.

Does anybody know what the Nikko 1-4x24 is like?

I've always liked the No 4 Ret...