Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postal methods for airguns.

Postal methods for airguns.

Earlier in the week, a pistol that I'd bought from a member on here, arrived via RM Special Delivery. Now this was great as it arrived first thing the following day, but I was under the impression that UK legal airguns could only be sent 'legitimately' via ParcelForce 48 with a maximum compensation value of £100 and this is the service that I've used in the past, restrictive & somewhat expensive as it is.

So my question is, will Royal Mail accept airguns declared as such for transit via Special Delivery and up to their compensation limits? Would be great if that is the case as SD is both faster & cheaper for the average pistol weight than PF 48.

Be interested in other member's experience of how they send airguns and any problems encountered.

RMSD is fine for items that fit it's size limit ie pistols,
    for bigger stuff you need the large parcel delivery service which is Parcelforce (as opposed to Royal Mail which is only for letters & small parcels) and the only ParcelForce service approved for "guns for sporting use" is PF48.

NOTE
    RMSD will usually fly which means being X-ray'd so declare it as being an air pistol & my advice is mark as "surface mail only".

Why not use the 'SEARCH' facility, the oblong empty box at the top right of the page, as this subject has been covered many times, again quite recently.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    RMSD is fine for items that fit it's size limit ie pistols,
    for bigger stuff you need the large parcel delivery service which is Parcelforce (as opposed to Royal Mail which is only for letters & small parcels) and the only ParcelForce service approved for "guns for sporting use" is PF48.

NOTE
    RMSD will usually fly which means being X-ray'd so declare it as being an air pistol & my advice is mark as "surface mail only".
    Thanks for that clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Why not use the 'SEARCH' facility, the oblong empty box at the top right of the page, as this subject has been covered many times, again quite recently.
    Apologies for not checking that first.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Just to remind you this guy is relativly new just like you and i were a long time ago.Look at when he joined and his post total before replying like you did. We are here to help no matter how many times they ask the same question same as when we ourselves require help or info!

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    ..... We are here to help no matter how many times they ask the same question same as when we ourselves require help or info!
    So what is best .22 or .177 ?

There is a sticky with lots of additional information HERE.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Just to remind you this guy is relativly new just like you and i were a long time ago.Look at when he joined and his post total before replying like you did. We are here to help no matter how many times they ask the same question same as when we ourselves require help or info!
    Thanks for that. I don't feel quite so stupid for asking now!

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    The only stupid question is the one you don't ask
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    So what is best .22 or .177 ?
    Its the gay calibre for me any thing over .177cal is used my guys trying to prove something because they are short in the groin area

Quote Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
    Thanks for that. I don't feel quite so stupid for asking now!
    Never a stupid question. I still ask for help on here. Thats what this community is all about.
    Last edited by WILBA; 26-02-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Not sent a gun for a while and sold one the other day and the parcelforce website has changed so if you book it online you Have to declare what is in the package now not just declare that it nothing on the naughty list.
    It was declared as low powered air rifle so will have to see if it makes it today now they know what they are shipping

Posted a pistol and red dot this morning.
    Was hoping to do RMSD, sadly it was over 2kg which means it had to go by PF48 .
    As others have said though , it may not get scanned , I wasn't asked what was in it , I think they've stopped asking me .
    Only downside is it takes a little longer to get there . I set the compensation level at £100 so total cost was £12.98 .

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Posted a pistol and red dot this morning.
    Was hoping to do RMSD, sadly it was over 2kg which means it had to go by PF48 .
    As others have said though , it may not get scanned , I wasn't asked what was in it , I think they've stopped asking me .
    Only downside is it takes a little longer to get there . I set the compensation level at £100 so total cost was £12.98 .
    Just for those not in the know, it could have gone by RMSD...but would cost around £27 once it nudges over 2kg mark
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.