Thread: .177 smooth bore air rifle - advice on pellets / projectiles?

.177 smooth bore air rifle - advice on pellets / projectiles?

Gentlemen, I'm in the process of rebuilding an old project air rifle and on strip down found it to be a smooth bore. Can anyone offer any tips on ammunition and expectations regarding accuracy?

smooth bore pellets

From experience use the best fitting waisted pellet and not Lanes Cat Slugs as grouping will be abysmal.
    I can provide you with a box of said Lanes for you to try if you wish.
    As a side note, it was the introduction of waisted pellets that made rifled barrels come into their own, the earlier smooth bodied pellets had to much bearing surface to be any good.
    The waisted pellets did not tumble on their way to the target, so were considered the better choice.
    HTH 😊

A smooth bore is not necessarily a barrier to accuracy and waisted pellets can provide commendable accuracy at realistic ranges. I have a peep sighted Jean Marck 'Gem' type that is capable of placing pellet on top of pellet at 6 yards using Field Target Trophies.

Kind regards,

John

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You could try 'scratch rifling' it. A smooth bore probably likes the same kind of pellet a rifled bore does, long gap between the rear driving band and the front one, consistent sizes.... RWS Superdome or JSB.

Darts can be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Darts can be fun.
    I was thinking that

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    A few years ago I bought one of the smaller Gem rifles and tried it with Milbro Caledonian pellets, whichI do like in the older guns (Are they making the Pellets again yet) but the Gem was like a shotgun with them. I tried some Bulldog pellets,which are meant to be really crap and it was a lot more consistant. I put it down to the Bulldog pellets having a wider contact point behind the dome than the Caledonians. I always find Caledonians suit Webley pistol barrels really well and that Marksmen can drop in further than them.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Use to use darts in my diana as a kid. Smooth bores are perfect for them and can be fun. Find an old dartboard also

There was someone on here selling a bag of 50 darts a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if they sold. Do a search matey.

I was working on a .22 smoothbore this week and the only pellets that gave a decent small group were Falcon Accuracy Plus, not tried the .177 Falcon yet in smooth bore.
    Would be the expensive pellets ! There are a lot of darts on the evil bay but I prefer the plastic flight ones to protect the barrel a bit.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I had a pre-war Diana Mod 25 in .177 smooth bore and it loved RWS Superdomes. They were good out to 10m, but much after that and the limitations of no rifling coupled with low power started to show.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Well, I got it back together today:

https://imgur.com/YecvcgJ

Only tried jsb 4.50's in it so far, but having a blast on opens at 6 mtrs

I'm going to have to get some darts pdq