Thread: Airgun License, please read.

Airgun License, please read.

When a Government is in trouble, it often looks for a quick fix to a problem that doesn’t exist! This usually starts with a ‘consultation’-and very rarely does that consultation conclude with “actually, everything is OK, existing legislation is working well” take Scottish Airgun Licencing-all the evidence showed that Airgun crime was a small -and reducing -problem and that existing powers-if properly used and enforced -were more than up to the job.

What happened was a new, draconian system was brought in, at great cost and succeeded in over 20,000 airguns, being scrapped without compensation, less than 30, 000 licences being issued. Where does that leave the other 400,000+ airguns that are suggested to be in the hands of shooters in Scotland?

Applying for an Airgun License comprised going through several pages of documents and supplying information including past medical history and any previous law infractions.
    It also costs £72 for a 5 year license.

If a similar licencing regime were to be introduced in England & Wales, it would be undoubtedly be the death knell for smaller gun shops and other shooting related business’s.

Also bear in mind, currently the authorities are taking several months to process firearms licenses, this would only get much worse if airgun licenses are added to the load.
    If licensing came in, if you have applied for one and do not get it by the deadline, by law you would have to put your guns in storage either with another license holder or a registered dealer with the attendant costs that will incur.

I’m not sure how powerful petitions can be -but I would urge you to sign the one below-If it gets over 10,000 signatures, the Government is obliged to consider it. What is certain, if we don’t even do this small thing, we only have ourselves to blame if airgun ownership ‘goes Scottish”

Thanks for taking the time to read this email. Click on the link below now:-

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/211656

Already done - also I've sent it out to my clubs website that has distributed it to all members looks like its nearly there now.
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

Things for English folks to note based on the Scottish experience:
    The consultation was ignored with the excuses that significant numbers of respondents were from elsewhere in the UK and significant numbers were standard responses which were copy and paste jobs or cut from publications.

Based on that I'd say that Scottish people should not sign these petitions as the outcome allegedly won't affect us and may damage the perceived value of the petition.

Alas I'm willing to bet that a decision has already been made, just as it was in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by John RR View Post
    When a Government is in trouble, it often looks for a quick fix to a problem that doesn’t exist! This usually starts with a ‘consultation’-and very rarely does that consultation conclude with “actually, everything is OK, existing legislation is working well” take Scottish Airgun Licencing-all the evidence showed that Airgun crime was a small -and reducing -problem and that existing powers-if properly used and enforced -were more than up to the job.

What happened was a new, draconian system was brought in, at great cost and succeeded in over 20,000 airguns, being scrapped without compensation, less than 30, 000 licences being issued. Where does that leave the other 400,000+ airguns that are suggested to be in the hands of shooters in Scotland? they wont know how many licenses have been applied for until 2021 or 2022 .

"
    If I already have a firearm or shotgun certificate?
    If you are aged 14 or over and held a valid firearm and/or shotgun certificate on the 31st of December 2016, you won’t need to apply for a separate air weapon certificate until your existing licence expires. "

so until all the people that are holding airguns on their current FAC and SGC need to renew them they will not know how many airgun licenses will be required.

While you hold airguns on your FAC or SGC you can't buy component parts ,a new rifle or a moderator until you have an AWL

And just because they claim there is 500.000 airguns in scotland, It does not mean that if everyone licensed their airguns there would be 500.000 licenses issued I hold two on my ONE license per airgun

some people have more than one airgun and some may have 100's or 1000s in their collections

Moderators are licensed also

Applying for an Airgun License comprised going through several pages of documents and supplying information including past medical history and any previous law infractions. If you have no medical issues that they list on the form then you do not need to supply medical informantin. you do however with an FAC and SGC in scotland

It also costs £72 for a 5 year license. OR if you have a current FAc or SGC then its £5 per five years

If a similar licencing regime were to be introduced in England & Wales, it would be undoubtedly be the death knell for smaller gun shops and other shooting related business’s.

Also bear in mind, currently the authorities are taking several months to process firearms licenses, this would only get much worse if airgun licenses are added to the load. Up here is it is not the firearms office that does the Airgun license. its a separate department . that may change later though

If licensing came in, if you have applied for one and do not get it by the deadline, by law you would have to put your guns in storage either with another license holder or a registered dealer with the attendant costs that will incur. They allowed people to hold their airguns if their license was applied for before November (i think ) and they had not got their license before it went live . if you applied after November and you did not have it by the live date then you had to arrange storage . so if they announces a license scheme and give a date that they will try and guarantee you get it before the live date and you don't apply by then its your own fault in my eyes . you had notice or at least we did up here .

from police scotland
    "Application Status

If you submitted an application before the 1st of November 2016, and Police Scotland have not determined your application by the 31st of December 2016 through no fault of your own, you are legally able to possess your air weapons until the final decision is made. This only allows you to POSSESS the air weapons, but NOT USE, BUY or ACQUIRE another air weapon."

I’m not sure how powerful petitions can be -but I would urge you to sign the one below-If it gets over 10,000 signatures, the Government is obliged to consider it. What is certain, if we don’t even do this small thing, we only have ourselves to blame if airgun ownership ‘goes Scottish” the Scottish Government was pushing this through no matter what the public though . The justice minister said "Its not a question of if this will happen but when it happens " there was to be no bargaining as far as he was concerned. It was happening end of discussion from him.

Thanks for taking the time to read this email. Click on the link below now:-

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/211656
    See comments in red .

Current scottish application form here http://www.scotland.police.uk/assets...?view=Standard

Current guidlines here http://airweapon.scot/images/uploads...April_2017.pdf

No offence to the Op .Its funny how people type this sort of thing when they do not know the full facts or omit the facts when using another area's legislation.

yes I have signed this petition.
    Last edited by bighit; 26-02-2018 at 04:56 PM.

The other thread is HERE.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.