Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best .25 Springer Sub 12 fpe

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Best .25 Springer Sub 12 fpe

Which one gives the best accuracy?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    A weihrauch, any weihrauch! But then with the restricted PBR (to around 27/8 yards max) its less important.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    And the choices are ?
    I can only say that my SFS Snipe (hw99) hits what I aim at within the set range.
    Last edited by where's it gone; 25-02-2018 at 07:32 PM.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I have to say that I had a good old session yesterday with my Supersport custom with the .25 Lightning barrel onboard, I was very impressed indeed.

But I have also heard that the SFS Impy thing with a .25 barrel are supposed to be good, according to VerminhuntersTV

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I have to say that I had a good old session yesterday with my Supersport custom with the .25 Lightning barrel onboard, I was very impressed indeed.

But I have also heard that the SFS Impy thing with a .25 barrel are supposed to be good, according to VerminhuntersTV

Pete
    What pellets are you using Pete? I heard some stories that the BSA barrels are tight or something, pellets needing to be tapped in with the Master of Hounds personal toffee-hammer, that kind of thing. Is the .25 altogether different to use compared to using a very heavy pellet in a .22?

I've never owned a .25 or a .20.

.20 doesn't really interest me as it will be just like a 9 fpe .177 with a bad temper, while the mortar-like trajectory and heavy impact of the .25 might be a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 25-02-2018 at 06:57 PM.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I had the Supersport SS .25 which was a corker! A .243" sizer from UK Neil fixed the tight pellet issue, but the .25 Haw80 I got after that knocked it into a cocked hat.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I believe Webley made some FAC Tomahawks in .25".

You could buy the .25" barrels at one time from Chambers as spare parts after the real Webley folded.

So I'd suggest a short-stroked Tommie with an aftermarket .25" barrel. That must be a contender.

Or even the .25" Tommie barrel on a Longbow action.
    Last edited by Geezer; 25-02-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: New thought

You will be told to not bother with .25 cal at sub 12ftbls from some of the people on here,.
    I think it's a great cal for close range hunting ,and target shooting at any range.
    It's a different cal with its own set of challenges ,but is very rewarding when you get use to it.
    I have a Hw80 and a early bsa lightning in .25 and think there both great in there own way.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    You will be told to not bother with .25 cal at sub 12ftbls from some of the people on here,.
    I think it's a great cal for close range hunting ,and target shooting at any range.
    It's a different cal with its own set of challenges ,but is very rewarding when you get use to it.
    I have a Hw80 and a early bsa lightning in .25 and think there both great in there own way.
    Les..
    The only time I have fired a .25 was six rounds through a Saxby-Palmer Orion revolver, which had been up-bored (by a gunsmith who will remain nameless) to .25 with a brass barrel liner. It was doing 9 fpe and was very accurate, like a rimfire at 10 meters. Gave a very satisfying kick.

Is it true that you only have to hit the faceplate to knock down HFT targets with one?

What pellets are you using Pete? I heard some stories that the BSA barrels are tight or something, pellets needing to be tapped in with the Master of Hounds personal toffee-hammer, that kind of thing. Is the .25 altogether different to use compared to using a very heavy pellet in a .22?

I've never owned a .25 or a .20.

.20 doesn't really interest me as it will be just like a 9 fpe .177, while the mortar-like trajectory and heavy impact of the .25 might be a lot of fun.
    I had a lot of problems with the last .25 Lightning barrel I had, like you say trying to get a BSA pylarm .243 pellet into it was a joke (you had no chance trying to get a proper German .25 pellet into it), even after it was pushed through a .243 sizer and the breech had been reamed out as well BUT I took the plunge and bought another one from Knibbs and was promised that it's a proper .25, which luckily it is, I was using Air Arms pellets yesterday, I wouldn't say it's one hole group accurate but a ten pence piece will cover the group, I was only zeroing it in as well, so not really giving it any proper accuracy testing and in fact I was just enjoying chucking large lumps of lead down to my metal target holder and watching it move around with every shot that connected with it.

Not sure what's going on with my Supersport as it's as docile as hell (and doing 10.5ftp) and seems to be much better than when the barrel was fitted to the Challenger (although that was doing 11.7ftp), may be the loss of a foot pound has made it more enjoyable to shoot and because the Supersport is also lighter it just makes it a really nice plinking set up, I did try some other .25 pellets in it once and I'm sure the AA's were the best but I'll have to have another session when I get a nice day.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Same as the other calibres it's like "how long is a piece of string" if you find a pellet it likes any rifle can be accurate, if you buy cheap no name lumps of lead you'll probably struggle.

My old Hatsan was as accurate as any other springer I've shot which is, less so than my PCP's but that's down to me.

PS I was told by BSA some years back that Pylarm are not .243, but the old green tin Rhino are.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Same as the other calibres it's like "how long is a piece of string" if you find a pellet it likes any rifle can be accurate, if you buy cheap no name lumps of lead you'll probably struggle.

My old Hatsan was as accurate as any other springer I've shot which is, less so than my PCP's but that's down to me.

PS I was told by BSA some years back that Pylarm are not .243, but the old green tin Rhino are.
    I'm sure I read once that they are .243 and they seemed to fit easier than any others and that includes the green Rhino's which didn't seem any better than the Pylarms, I do believe that I got a wanky barrel the first time.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I'm sure I read once that they are .243 and they seemed to fit easier than any others and that includes the green Rhino's which didn't seem any better than the Pylarms, I do believe that I got a wanky barrel the first time.

Pete
    They might well have been in the dim & distant past but not when I asked in 2010(ish) also the tin I had was 23gn not the 18.6gn of the spec

Reported to BSA & traced to an issue at the Gamo factory making them in Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Les..
    I agree 100%
    I’m putting something together in the quarter bore myself at the moment.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Is it true that you only have to hit the faceplate to knock down HFT targets with one?
    I did read something on here many years ago about someone who used a .25 at a HFT and sort of hinted with a that .25's will trip the knock down target if hit on the faceplate.

Pete