Thread: What's the consensus on FX rifles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fx

Hi I have 2 wildcats for coming up for 2 years. My mate had a Bob cat for longer and was happy with it. Plus points no leaks,very very accurate particularly at long range (60yds), very consistent output, massive shot count very reliable. Cons the grub screws on linkages and trigger adjusters come loose, a blob of low strength loctite cures this, pin on cocking lever is an interference fit and mine has worked loose on my .22, fixed with a 8ba screw and nut. Magazine loading needs care, once inserted correctly no problems.That's it.
    Last edited by keithy; 26-02-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    mk2 rapid.22

I had an FX Impact last year with both .177 and .22 barrels. It wasn't as accurate as my competition rifle but was certainly up there with the majority of its competitors wares. I must have fired well over 10,000 shots (actually, more like 12,000 in .177 and 5,000 in .22.) The gun never missed a beat and was great to shoot. My own comments would be that the gun was well built and up to the job of firing lots of lead downrange on a very regular basis. The physical size of the gun also made it very practical for a field gun.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I love FX rifles, and currently own a sub12 Impact (2nd gen) with .22 ST barrel and .177 STX barrel, and mostly use the .177.
    it’s been a very good rifle with 5p accuracy at 30-35 yards and 10p accuracy upto 45 yards, I’ve put 10’000 .177 pellets through it and about 2000 .22 as I mostly use the rifle for bench rest target shooting.

I can’t wait for the crown to become available in the UK as I would like one of them also.
    FX ImpactX, AirArms HFT500, 2xAirArms S200 MK3, Webley Omega, Weihrauch HW95, HW97K, HW98, HW99s, AirArms S200mk3, Gunpower Stealth, Weihrauch HW40pca, HW45 Black Star, Webley Alecto, Crosman 2240, Artemis pp700sa, Swiss Arms SA P1911, Walther CP88 competition, CP99

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I want to like FX more than I do. They seem to be better at FAC levels and bigger cals like .25/.30 in a lot of the comps, particularly in the USA. I've had an Impact sub 12fpe in .177 which had several issues and I sold on after getting it to a decent level performance wise, but still not comp standard or as good as most of my PCPs. I also went to buy a Verminator a while ago but just felt for the money it felt plastic and cheap - but wasn't, so I never went ahead and got it.

I think they are so close with many of their guns, the Wildcat is not for me but generally get's good press, so they can do it.

I think for the money there are better guns out there, and also they have a few guns with issues now and then, but overall a reasonable manufacturer which I'd definitely consider at FAC and .25 cal level, but not as keen on the smaller, lower powered versions.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I've a Cyclone carbine and Typhoon, both .177 - Cyclone has L/W barrel & Typhoon the ST barrel, both will stack pellets at 30 yards, I've had no real problems with either.
    Wife has a Vermy MK1 .177 with a ST barrel, only problem with that is the brass insert for the grub screw that holds the stock to the bottle will 'pull' if tightened too much.
    Youngest son has an old Typhoon with a L/W barrel, again no problems with it.
    I've shot a Bobcat & Impact, nice guns, just not for me though - mind you, will probably 'go' for a Wildcat when I get the chance/money together.
    ASI (the importers) are great (so long as you don't try to take the p*ss), very knowledgeable about the guns, and will take the time to sort any issues out.

I've a Cyclone carbine and Typhoon, both .177 - Cyclone has L/W barrel & Typhoon the ST barrel, both will stack pellets at 30 yards, I've had no real problems with either.
    Wife has a Vermy MK1 .177 with a ST barrel, only problem with that is the brass insert for the grub screw that holds the stock to the bottle will 'pull' if tightened too much. It's her 'go to' gun, rather than her AA S200.
    Youngest son has an old Typhoon with a L/W barrel, again no problems with it.
    I've shot a Bobcat & Impact, nice guns, just not for me though - mind you, will probably 'go' for a Wildcat when I get the chance/money together.
    ASI (the importers) are great (so long as you don't try to take the p*ss), very knowledgeable about the guns, and will take the time to sort any issues out.

The smooth twist was.... according to Ben Taylor... going to change the rifle as we know it forever. The reality is it hasnt and nor did ever have a chance of doing so.
    The concept is not new..
    It is essentially a smoth bore but has the rifling at the very last bit of the barrel. Former designs had rifl8ng as we know it.
    The idea less friction other than the last segment to get gyroscopic spin inparted.
    There is also a style of barrel called polybore that has a soft multisided twist to impart spin but not rifling...lands and grooves.
    Taylor just replaced the ebd twist of a smoothbore with a polyesque style end.
    It seems poly barrels are good but it also seems they work better with some oomph behind it so FAC seems the better choice.
    They are good barrels but they are not the magic potion as suggested and notlr was it a new idea either.
    FX is a good make and a lot of their kit stands up to the competition.
    Personally I have my eye on an FAC Impact which is extremely quiet even in FAC. It is also a switch barrel running .177 .22 .25 and .30. It also has adjustable power from FAC to sub 12FPE.
    Generally I think FX is considered a pricier option and the Imapct is like 1600 squid in one cal alone....
    Pays ya money and takes ya choice
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I have had 4 FX rifles over the years, Mk1 and Mk2 Verminator, cutlass and cyclone. The early ones were light and compact, simple magazine system but a little fragile. My Mk1 verminator did need seals and broke a cocking lever after about 20,000 pellets and 4 years of use. the new ones are much more robust with the mk2 block on the verminator and the royales, but not as compact and more fiddly to load. Accuracy has been excellent on both the smooth twist and walther barrelled guns, but I think the walther barrelled full length cyclone I had was the best. I only own a verminator mk2 just now, I have handled the FX bullpup guns but don't really like them. I hope to get an FX crown when they come to the UK and I may buy a streamline if I can handle one at my local club and like it, but I have not seen one in the flesh yet.