Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the consensus on FX rifles?

I've a Cyclone carbine and Typhoon, both .177 - Cyclone has L/W barrel & Typhoon the ST barrel, both will stack pellets at 30 yards, I've had no real problems with either.
    Wife has a Vermy MK1 .177 with a ST barrel, only problem with that is the brass insert for the grub screw that holds the stock to the bottle will 'pull' if tightened too much. It's her 'go to' gun, rather than her AA S200.
    Youngest son has an old Typhoon with a L/W barrel, again no problems with it.
    I've shot a Bobcat & Impact, nice guns, just not for me though - mind you, will probably 'go' for a Wildcat when I get the chance/money together.
    ASI (the importers) are great (so long as you don't try to take the p*ss), very knowledgeable about the guns, and will take the time to sort any issues out.

The smooth twist was.... according to Ben Taylor... going to change the rifle as we know it forever. The reality is it hasnt and nor did ever have a chance of doing so.
    The concept is not new..
    It is essentially a smoth bore but has the rifling at the very last bit of the barrel. Former designs had rifl8ng as we know it.
    The idea less friction other than the last segment to get gyroscopic spin inparted.
    There is also a style of barrel called polybore that has a soft multisided twist to impart spin but not rifling...lands and grooves.
    Taylor just replaced the ebd twist of a smoothbore with a polyesque style end.
    It seems poly barrels are good but it also seems they work better with some oomph behind it so FAC seems the better choice.
    They are good barrels but they are not the magic potion as suggested and notlr was it a new idea either.
    FX is a good make and a lot of their kit stands up to the competition.
    Personally I have my eye on an FAC Impact which is extremely quiet even in FAC. It is also a switch barrel running .177 .22 .25 and .30. It also has adjustable power from FAC to sub 12FPE.
    Generally I think FX is considered a pricier option and the Imapct is like 1600 squid in one cal alone....
    Pays ya money and takes ya choice
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I have had 4 FX rifles over the years, Mk1 and Mk2 Verminator, cutlass and cyclone. The early ones were light and compact, simple magazine system but a little fragile. My Mk1 verminator did need seals and broke a cocking lever after about 20,000 pellets and 4 years of use. the new ones are much more robust with the mk2 block on the verminator and the royales, but not as compact and more fiddly to load. Accuracy has been excellent on both the smooth twist and walther barrelled guns, but I think the walther barrelled full length cyclone I had was the best. I only own a verminator mk2 just now, I have handled the FX bullpup guns but don't really like them. I hope to get an FX crown when they come to the UK and I may buy a streamline if I can handle one at my local club and like it, but I have not seen one in the flesh yet.

The STX barrels are rifled for their entire length with a choke at the end, this is what is fitted to my Streamline.

wellhouse0 Guest

fx shroud

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    The STX barrels are rifled for their entire length with a choke at the end, this is what is fitted to my Streamline.
    same on my impact and it's as accurate as any expensive target rifle i've had. I know the earlier ones were partially twisted along the length (can't comment on these in .177 but the .22 is very good) the full twist STX barrels .177 are excellent. The impact is the first bullpup i've had and was not expecting it to be as comfortable to shoot as it is. Currently probably my favourite rifle in the cupboard and so far no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CuppaT View Post
    I've never really looked at them, no reason why, so don't have any opinion about them.

What are they like?
    Are the smooth twist barrels on all their rifles and what is so good about smooth twist?
    Is the UK importer good?

What's your experience of them like? In terms of quality and accuracy, who would you compare them with?
    inovators always thinking forward and pushing the boundaries my impact is awesome massive shot count deadly accurate light and a 21 shot mag what more could you want
    Last edited by max29aug; 27-02-2018 at 05:30 PM.

I had a wildcat .22 sub12
    It was kinda pellet fussy but was incredibly accurate with AA hunters/jsb stratton and FAP, it never missed a beat and it was perfect apart from one thing I didnt get on with, the 8 shot mag and the ability to dry load it, and it seemed on every simple shot I had Id dry fire with Mr Rabbit hopping away. To be fair this was more of an issue for me after years with a 17shot rapid, lots of shots and no dry loading. Id buy another FX without a doubt

Chris
    Last edited by 32:1; 28-02-2018 at 04:25 AM.
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars