Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the consensus on FX rifles?

What's the consensus on FX rifles?

I've never really looked at them, no reason why, so don't have any opinion about them.

What are they like?
    Are the smooth twist barrels on all their rifles and what is so good about smooth twist?
    Is the UK importer good?

What's your experience of them like? In terms of quality and accuracy, who would you compare them with?

Very good in Fac
    Acta non Verba

Quote Originally Posted by mick a View Post
    Very good in Fac
    but in sub 12?

Matt duber (airarms sa) loves them but thats the fac version he has done a few videos on the barrels compared to walther and hammered aswell as barrel harmonics and twist rate.

As for sub 12 i dont know, it would be good to know as i quite like the new crown.

I also like the new daystate wolverine R. That has the walther barrel i believe. (It might be the lother barrel)
    Last edited by ElmerFudd.177; 25-02-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    Daystate Regal xl .177 / Hawke niteeye 6-24x50irsf...
    Weihrauch HW97 .22 tbt kit / Hawke sidewinder 30 10×42...

2 ferrets and a net...

Quote Originally Posted by ElmerFudd.177 View Post

As for sub 12 i dont know, it would be good to know as i quite like the new crown.
    And that is part of my reason for asking also
    Just don't see many FX about....

I have a sub 12 ft/lbs FX Cyclone.
    I have had it for about 10 years now and have never had a problem with it.
    It doesn’t have a smooth twist barrel because of its age but has always been very accurate.
    I have always liked this rifle.
    My shooting Buddy has an FAC one about the same age as mine and again has always been very accurate and never given any trouble.

Here's a novelty answer, I have an FX Streamline that is SUB 12ft lbs and DOES have a smoothtwist barrel and as a bonus is in .177 cal.

I have so far put about 1000 maybe 1500 pellets through it and my initial thoughts are that the barrel is pellet fussy, but likes all the pellets my other FT and HFT rifles hate, the bigger the better it would seem. It does not like being cleaned, especially not with the pull through, I really thought I done some damage somehow when I cleaned it using that method, and it took something like 30 pellets to come back on track. With the right pellets it is accurate, but no more so than any of my other rifles, this may change as the barrel get really well shot in. I have found it takes just as much wind as my other rifles, but again, this may change. Mine is in an ACZ stock, so I dealt with Sure Shot rather than ASI, they were great to deal with and I had a follow up e-mail asking if I was happy with the rifle a few weeks after I took delivery.

I'll be doing some HFT with the Streamline this year, at present it is being used as my scope testing rifle. In the hard light of day, it's a nice quiet rifle with a good trigger that shoots accurately.

I have a Bobcat mk2 in .22 under 12 ftlb with smooth twist. Once sighted in, the only adjustment to make with different pellets are vertical on the scope. Maybe why FX are not as popular as they should be is lack of dealerships. Most rifles are like cars, they get you to where you are going, you've just got to find out where the wiper switch is.
    Last edited by where's it gone; 27-02-2018 at 09:44 AM.

I will say that no matter how good the impact is it is surely one fugly rifle. And people had the cheek years ago to call the rapid 7 and s10 ugly guns. Look at the snoze on the impact ffs

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    I have a Bobcat mk2 in .22 under 12 ftlb with smooth twist. Once sighted in, the only adjustment to make with different pellets are vertical on the scope. Maybe FX are not as popular as they should be is lack of dealerships. Most rifles are like cars, they get you to where you are going, you've just got to find out where the wiper switch is.
    I love the look of the bobcat and the wildcat. Not fussed on the others though.

Fx

Hi I have 2 wildcats for coming up for 2 years. My mate had a Bob cat for longer and was happy with it. Plus points no leaks,very very accurate particularly at long range (60yds), very consistent output, massive shot count very reliable. Cons the grub screws on linkages and trigger adjusters come loose, a blob of low strength loctite cures this, pin on cocking lever is an interference fit and mine has worked loose on my .22, fixed with a 8ba screw and nut. Magazine loading needs care, once inserted correctly no problems.That's it.
    Last edited by keithy; 26-02-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    mk2 rapid.22

I had an FX Impact last year with both .177 and .22 barrels. It wasn't as accurate as my competition rifle but was certainly up there with the majority of its competitors wares. I must have fired well over 10,000 shots (actually, more like 12,000 in .177 and 5,000 in .22.) The gun never missed a beat and was great to shoot. My own comments would be that the gun was well built and up to the job of firing lots of lead downrange on a very regular basis. The physical size of the gun also made it very practical for a field gun.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I love FX rifles, and currently own a sub12 Impact (2nd gen) with .22 ST barrel and .177 STX barrel, and mostly use the .177.
    it’s been a very good rifle with 5p accuracy at 30-35 yards and 10p accuracy upto 45 yards, I’ve put 10’000 .177 pellets through it and about 2000 .22 as I mostly use the rifle for bench rest target shooting.

I can’t wait for the crown to become available in the UK as I would like one of them also.
    FX ImpactX, AirArms HFT500, 2xAirArms S200 MK3, Webley Omega, Weihrauch HW95, HW97K, HW98, HW99s, AirArms S200mk3, Gunpower Stealth, Weihrauch HW40pca, HW45 Black Star, Webley Alecto, Crosman 2240, Artemis pp700sa, Swiss Arms SA P1911, Walther CP88 competition, CP99

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I want to like FX more than I do. They seem to be better at FAC levels and bigger cals like .25/.30 in a lot of the comps, particularly in the USA. I've had an Impact sub 12fpe in .177 which had several issues and I sold on after getting it to a decent level performance wise, but still not comp standard or as good as most of my PCPs. I also went to buy a Verminator a while ago but just felt for the money it felt plastic and cheap - but wasn't, so I never went ahead and got it.

I think they are so close with many of their guns, the Wildcat is not for me but generally get's good press, so they can do it.

I think for the money there are better guns out there, and also they have a few guns with issues now and then, but overall a reasonable manufacturer which I'd definitely consider at FAC and .25 cal level, but not as keen on the smaller, lower powered versions.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I've a Cyclone carbine and Typhoon, both .177 - Cyclone has L/W barrel & Typhoon the ST barrel, both will stack pellets at 30 yards, I've had no real problems with either.
    Wife has a Vermy MK1 .177 with a ST barrel, only problem with that is the brass insert for the grub screw that holds the stock to the bottle will 'pull' if tightened too much.
    Youngest son has an old Typhoon with a L/W barrel, again no problems with it.
    I've shot a Bobcat & Impact, nice guns, just not for me though - mind you, will probably 'go' for a Wildcat when I get the chance/money together.
    ASI (the importers) are great (so long as you don't try to take the p*ss), very knowledgeable about the guns, and will take the time to sort any issues out.