Thread: Anyone load .45-70 with Vihtavuori?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone load .45-70 with Vihtavuori?

I'm trying not to buy any more Hodgdon powder with the ban coming into place so will have to say goodbye to H4198

So, I'm looking at loading up .45-70 with Viht powder instead.

I've seen a bit of info on N133 & N135 but I've not managed to find out whether these powders are ok with cast lead bullets, all the data is for jacketed.

The attractive thing about the two powders mentioned is they work for .223 as well so if I can get one powder to do both calibres then happy days!

Does anyone load .45-70 lead rounds with Viht?

Cheers
    Greg

Never used Vihtavuori but i always found 10 grns of Unique worked well with a 405 grn bullet in both the Ruger number 1
    and a Pedersoli rolling block. Doesn't sound much powder but plenty especially in the light Ruger. Keep us upto date with
    how you get on. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Never used Vihtavuori but i always found 10 grns of Unique worked well with a 405 grn bullet in both the Ruger number 1
    and a Pedersoli rolling block. Doesn't sound much powder but plenty especially in the light Ruger. Keep us upto date with
    how you get on. Tim
    I use the same load for the same bullet weight in a Winchester High Wall - same deal. Nice and accurate out to 100m and still satisfying to shoot, too. I use a wisp of REAL kapok over the charge, though, NOT a frawk material of any kind.

Smells like burning an old cuddly toy [don't ask how i know].

tac

Thanks for the replies guys. I load 14.5 grains of Unique as my indoor plinking load for .45-70, I'm looking for a replacement powder for full power loads. I've done up to 57 grains of 4198 which I use out to 600m. It's quite annoying that I'm having to start from scratch again with most of my calibres. Thanks EU!

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I load 14.5 grains of Unique as my indoor plinking load for .45-70, I'm looking for a replacement powder for full power loads. I've done up to 57 grains of 4198 which I use out to 600m. It's quite annoying that I'm having to start from scratch again with most of my calibres. Thanks EU!

Cheers
    Greg
    Have you looked at Reloder7? supposed to be very good with the 45-70
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

You don't tell us what gun you are shooting your reloads in - it really DOES matter, even with a lead bullet.

I have a Uberti Winchester Model of 1885 High Wall - my load, out to 500m - is 32gr of IMR4198. That is with a 405gr lead flat-nose.

Your 57gr load seems to me to be rather more than the recommended top load from the Hodgdon reloading manual, 26th Ed, page 479

H4198 44gr

'For modern rifles designed for high pressure loads only'

Like the Ruger No1, for instance. Or the Marlin whatever it is, but not any kind of modern replication of an older design.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 26-02-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Have you looked at Reloder7? supposed to be very good with the 45-70
    I think Reload Swiss do an equivalent Kenny. Apparently their process of controlled steeping of the kernels in nitro makes the burn much less spikey but with good velocity. Certainly with RS52 we pushed the hell out of the loads.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know